talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

German Beer

On 02/09/2022 at 06:49, nudge said:

Wtf is hazy IPA in the first place?

On 02/09/2022 at 06:58, Coma said:

I think the primary characteristic is that it's unfiltered?  I know it by the style and appearance, but not the method of brewing.  I'd have to look it up tbh.

It's a marketing term for an unfiltered IPA. You'll find a lot of IPAs are unfiltered anyway, but the connotation is that 'hazy IPAs' are 'juicy'.

You should see the sludge the pours from a brite tank when it's spun out.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Tommy said:

Oh yea, I tried that IPA last weekend. Very sweet, no? I had to check if there's sugar in it because it tasted very sweet. 

They wouldn't do that well at least they wouldn't add any further sweeteners, it's just sugars broken down from the malt, so they brewers have used a specific yeast and malt combo to yield a sweeter taste without increasing the ABV too high. Some sugars (typically not refined) cane sugar  are added to beers but they have a specific job or increasing the alcohol percentage or priming a homebrew. For instance when I have home brewed I drop a little tablet of dextrose into the bottle before filling. Brewers will usually brag if they are using a specific sugar like 'lactose' (milk sugar) or brown sugar.

Remember guys, I work in a brewery, I could have inside knowledge :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Spike said:

They wouldn't do that well at least they wouldn't add any further sweeteners, it's just sugars broken down from the malt, so they brewers have used a specific yeast and malt combo to yield a sweeter taste without increasing the ABV too high. Some sugars (typically not refined) cane sugar  are added to beers but they have a specific job or increasing the alcohol percentage or priming a homebrew. For instance when I have home brewed I drop a little tablet of dextrose into the bottle before filling. Brewers will usually brag if they are using a specific sugar like 'lactose' (milk sugar) or brown sugar.

Remember guys, I work in a brewery, I could have inside knowledge :ph34r:

Boy am I glad we have the Reinheitsgebot. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Boy am I glad we have the Reinheitsgebot. :ph34r:

Reinheitsgebot like Oktoberfest is unfortunately a tool that the established breweries use to strong arm any new kids on the block :( 

Shit not even all beers in Germany follow the
Reinheitsgebot like the Gose for instance

Edited by Spike

31 minutes ago, nudge said:

:o Just because it has a picture of a boar, doesn't mean you have to put it on the stove immediately! :P xD 

Never seen this one before! We'll need a full review.

My dad is on a trip in Hessen, and sent me a picture of the beer he's drinking. So I went to my local beverage shop and found the brand. I can't have my dad have a broader knowledge of beers than me. 🤔xD

Na I was just curious. Will try it tonight. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Well originally it was indeed German, just like Strasbourg has been Straßburg until Napoleon.

Don't be pedantic with me with history, you'll regret it. Before that Starsbourg was a part of France because it was annexed by Louis the 14th, over 100 years before Napoleon.  Before that it was neither a part of the French Kingdom or the Holy Roman Empire, it was a free city, and before that it was 'free Imperial city' of the HRE. Their wasn't even a pan-Germanic identity then, or even nationalism as we know it today. Same with Plzn,  how can it be ' Originally German' when 'German' didn't even exist when it was founded?

Strasboug is an old Gaulic town which are neither French or German, they are a people that no longer exist. Plzn was founded by a Bohemian king, which a proto-Czech people, which are closer linguistically and culturally to west-Slavic people like Poles and Czechs than Central European Germanics.

Edited by Spike

12 minutes ago, Spike said:

Don't be pedantic with me with history, you'll regret it. Before that Starsbourg was a part of France because it was annexed by Louis the 14th, over 100 years before Napoleon.  Before that it was neither a part of the French Kingdom or the Holy Roman Empire, it was a free city, and before that it was 'free Imperial city' of the HRE. Their wasn't even a pan-Germanic identity then, or even nationalism as we know it today. Same with Plzn,  how can it be ' Originally German' when 'German' didn't even exist when it was founded?

Strasboug is an old Gaulic town which are neither French or German, they are a people that no longer exist. Plzn was founded by a Bohemian king, which a proto-Czech people.

The Bohemian king was 1 of 7 Kurfürsten, who voted the German king., you couldn't be more an integral part of the elite of the Holy Roman Empire.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose

Just now, Rucksackfranzose said:

The Bohemian king was 1 of 7 Kurfürsten, who voted the German king., you couldn't be more an integral part of the elite of the Holy Roman Empire.

The HRE wasn't German, and neither was he. It just existed where modern day Germany exists. Next you'll tell me that the Romans were Italian. They have no more in common with modern day Germany than Norman Sicily has with Sicilians.

7 minutes ago, Spike said:

The HRE wasn't German, and neither was he. It just existed where modern day Germany exists. Next you'll tell me that the Romans were Italian. They have no more in common with modern day Germany than Norman Sicily has with Sicilians.

Since the end of the 14th ventury the official name of the HRE was Sacrum Imperium Romanum Nationis Germaniae, english translation Holy Roman Empire of German nation. So they claimed to be of German nation, which is enough for me to call them German.

1 minute ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Since the end of the 14th ventury the official name of the HRE was Sacrum Imperium Romanum Nationis Germaniae, english translation Holy Roman Empire of German nation. So they claimed to be of German nation, which is enough for me to call them German.

That was 500 years after the founding of Plzn. Applying modern ethnic identities and language on peoples from hundreds of years in the past is a fundamental misunderstanding of how people and history works.

Edited by Spike

16 minutes ago, Spike said:

That was 500 years after the founding of Plzn. Applying modern ethnic identities and language on peoples from hundreds of years in the past is a fundamental misunderstanding of how people and history works.

At the bolded part: Who does? Great Britain's inhabitants 300 years ago had a significantely other ethnic compsition, slightely another language and most likely another set of values they rated than today's - they were Britons nonetheless, though.

4 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

At the bolded part: Who does? Great Britain's inhabitants 300 years ago had a significantely other ethnic compsition, slightely another language and most likely another set of values they rated than today's - they were Britons nonetheless, though.

Three hundred years ago is when modern ideas of nationalism began to exist. You chose exactly the wrong years to make that claim, if you had said 500 years ago I'd agree with you but for example, French, German, British, national identities were born developed about three hundred years ago during the early and mid 1800s. Nationalism began to first appear and it's these ideals of nationalism that strongly influence the cultural identities of today.

EDIT: I'm pretty drunk and couldn't do the maths for 300 years. I'm wrong, it was more like 200-150 years ago.

Edited by Spike
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Spike said:

Three hundred years ago is when modern ideas of nationalism began to exist. You chose exactly the wrong years to make that claim, if you had said 500 years ago I'd agree with you but for example, French, German, British, national identities were born developed about three hundred years ago during the early and mid 1800s. Nationalism began to first appear and it's these ideals of nationalism that strongly influence the cultural identities of today.

EDIT: I'm pretty drunk and couldn't do the maths for 300 years. I'm wrong, it was more like 200-150 years ago.

We found something we can agree on, don't know about the British, still at least for the rise of German nationalism the napoleonic wars were a massive catalyst.

21 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

We found something we can agree on, don't know about the British, still at least for the rise of German nationalism the napoleonic wars were a massive catalyst.

I'd say up until recently there really hasn't been a 'British' identity, sure a bunch of different cultures with similarities but it's a very nuanced thing. Some Scots for instance may say they are 'British' and some may make a very strong distinction that they are not and are only 'Scottish',, but I can't speak for anyone except for those that have explicitly told me. I'm sure it was the same in Germany with Bavarians, Swabians, Saxons, et al, I just wouldn't know how strongly people feel about it as, my culture of Australia is adjacent to British so I feel more implicit relation to them.