talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Gareth Southgate - How Much Pressure Should He Be Under?

football forum

How much pressure do you think Southgate should be under with the team he has?

I think southgate has done well so far. I think in the world cup we did well. Yes we finished second in the group and had an easier run. However we had a good performance against Panama which was our biggest ever finals win. We had a convincing performance against Sweden and to be honest were the much better team against the Colombian judo team. You have to remember we lost to iceland in the previous tournament and hadn't won a knockout since 2006 so I think he did well.

We were then good in qualifying for the euros and scored a lot of goals. 

We won in Spain in the nations league and got to the semis. We were poor in the last tournament but overall I think he done well. Not as good as some people say but better than others say.

It's a tough situation for him in the euros. I think we play the runner up of the France, germany ,Portugal group which will probably be Germany or Portugal if we win the group. Now with the players we have if we went out to one of those teams would it not  be good enough?

What if we were to host our last 16 because of covid. Should we be beating those teams at home? 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Gareth Southgate - How Much Pressure Should He Be Under?
12 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Pressure is what has caused the England NT to fail, he should be under no pressure - especially after taking us to within one game of a WC final. 

I have no doubt unrealistic expectations have caused England teams to underperform. However also there does have to be a certain amount of pressure on the manager to get the best out of the players.  If England loose to a better team then that is not southgate's fault. However if england were to struggle in the group and then get easily beaten questions have to be asked if he is the right man for the job. However I do agree we have to be realistic 

• 2 months later...

I'm undecided on Southgate yet. I'm not one to sing their praises, but I think with that squad and that draw in 2018 Hodgson could've taken us to the semi-final, perhaps even Capello as well. 

My main worry is that he'll go too defensive, which considering our defence (specifically centre half) is, on paper, where we're weakest could be our undoing. 

To be fair, even if we were to lose all three group games I don't think he'll get the sack. 

He's not under any pressure, but he has to deliver good performances. He done so well last time because he finally had us beating teams we should be beating, but when it came to playing sides that are as good as us or better than us we struggled to compete. That has to change now, if he can't get this group of players to compete then he needs to go, if he can then keep him on.

On 11/03/2021 at 19:34, Gunnersauraus said:

It's a tough situation for him in the euros. I think we play the runner up of the France, germany ,Portugal group which will probably be Germany or Portugal if we win the group. Now with the players we have if we went out to one of those teams would it not  be good enough?

This is the issue with having 3rd placed teams advancing. In some situations, winning the group or finishing runner up both mean having to face a runner up from another group and in England's situation, finishing runner up means an easier fixture as it most likely will be Poland/Sweden.

Archived