Scunthorpe vs Oldham

Wednesday 18th March, 2021
Grimsby vs Tranmere

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
15 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Starting to slip a bit now after getting into the play offs. Need to get back to winning ways to stand a chance of the play offs again. 

jumping ahead slightly...looking forward to Saturday's game...

1 minute ago, Danny said:

Derby have been very, very bad. Hope it continues in the second half 

Derby were piss poor when they played us. Thought the 4-0 score was generous in all honesty. 

For anyone interested, you'll be unsurprised to hear that our game is 0-0 and bar two Stoke chances and our chance at the end of the half, it's been very shite. 

1 hour ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Derby were piss poor when they played us. Thought the 4-0 score was generous in all honesty. 

For anyone interested, you'll be unsurprised to hear that our game is 0-0 and bar two Stoke chances and our chance at the end of the half, it's been very shite. 

I literally just flicked on Soccer Special on Sky and saw Cardiff nearly scored by a long throw in and the keeper dropping it just wide.

Probably sums it all up rather well xD

11 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I literally just flicked on Soccer Special on Sky and saw Cardiff nearly scored by a long throw in and the keeper dropping it just wide.

Probably sums it all up rather well xD

Pretty much, though Moore should have buried a chance or two before that and Stoke hit the bar afterwards. 

However, that was pretty much the only things after the last post I made. Dreadful match. 

6 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Oh Danny.

They were superb second half, full credit to them. Completely worked us out and had us on a lead.

Disappointing as Mbeumo missed a sitter first half and could have made it 3-2.

Thomas Frank is a system man, he’s not a tinkerer, doesn’t change the tactics if we’re on the back foot. It’s why we came unstuck against Fulham in the play-offs, Parker set out the 2 up top with 2 behind and it put us out of whack.

Frank is perfectly capable of getting a team to perform to a high level over stretches of a season, but doesn’t have the game management to change the formation and put the oppo on the back foot. It happened against Blackburn but we held out for the win, happened tonight and we conceded twice. Second place is still in reach because Watford and Swansea drop points much like we do, but unless we put a run of form together much like we did after the break last season, like we did going 21 games unbeaten this season, it’s going to be difficult 

38 minutes ago, Danny said:

They were superb second half, full credit to them. Completely worked us out and had us on a lead.

Disappointing as Mbeumo missed a sitter first half and could have made it 3-2.

Thomas Frank is a system man, he’s not a tinkerer, doesn’t change the tactics if we’re on the back foot. It’s why we came unstuck against Fulham in the play-offs, Parker set out the 2 up top with 2 behind and it put us out of whack.

Frank is perfectly capable of getting a team to perform to a high level over stretches of a season, but doesn’t have the game management to change the formation and put the oppo on the back foot. It happened against Blackburn but we held out for the win, happened tonight and we conceded twice. Second place is still in reach because Watford and Swansea drop points much like we do, but unless we put a run of form together much like we did after the break last season, like we did going 21 games unbeaten this season, it’s going to be difficult 

Whilst I do agree with this, I have to be honest, I think Watford, Swansea and yourselves are all pretty poor this season. Made it so easy for Norwich to cake walk it.

You lot are up and down, when you are on it you're decent but when you're not, you are average. Feels like you lack consistency. I would even go as far to say that there is an over reliance on Toney.

Swansea have nicked a lot of wins but they have rode a fair bit of luck doing it. Very good character in their team mind and probably why they have ground out so many results as they never give up but I don't know how far that can take them.

Watford have always seemed like they have played within themselves. Kinda sleepwalking along, doing the minimum to get by. But worryingly for yourselves and Swansea, they do look like they are waking up and getting their shit together now. 

I just don't see in Brentford what I saw last year. There was almost an inevitability about you going into games last year with the form of the front three and backline but not this year. It's a much poorer Brentford.

13 hours ago, Lucas said:

Whilst I do agree with this, I have to be honest, I think Watford, Swansea and yourselves are all pretty poor this season. Made it so easy for Norwich to cake walk it.

You lot are up and down, when you are on it you're decent but when you're not, you are average. Feels like you lack consistency. I would even go as far to say that there is an over reliance on Toney.

Swansea have nicked a lot of wins but they have rode a fair bit of luck doing it. Very good character in their team mind and probably why they have ground out so many results as they never give up but I don't know how far that can take them.

Watford have always seemed like they have played within themselves. Kinda sleepwalking along, doing the minimum to get by. But worryingly for yourselves and Swansea, they do look like they are waking up and getting their shit together now. 

I just don't see in Brentford what I saw last year. There was almost an inevitability about you going into games last year with the form of the front three and backline but not this year. It's a much poorer Brentford.

It’s so strange this year because near enough every step of the way this season we have outperformed the team of last season. Last season if we went 1-0 down then that was it, this season we have gone 1-0 down a lot and come back and pumped 2-3 goals past teams. This team has been so strong too, to bounce back from that disappointment and play like we have this season.

At this point it feels like we may have peaked too early, but also being without Rico Henry is a massive loss as he adds so much to our style. Josh Dasilva too who should be back after the internationals, I’m pretty sure he holds the stats for the most dribbles in the Championship or is up there and that’s key to our midfield. Since we signed Winston Reid we’ve played 4 different centre back partnerships. Pontus Jansson made his first start since maybe November/December last night, I think our optimum CB partnership is Pinnock and Jansson and I hope we can play them consistently together now.

There is and isn’t a reliance on Ivan Toney, Toney is our top goal scorer and one of the reasons for that is the chances we create for him. There’s a big team effort to try and put them on a plate for him. But also we have this rotation between Canos, Mbeumo, Fosu and Ghoddos. Now individually they’ve not all scored a lot but as a collective they’ve racked up enough goals between them to match what Benrahma scored last season. The problem for me is none of them are good enough to start game in, game out and so we just see them rotate each week. But between them 4, Vitaly Janelt and Josh Dasilva we have racked up goals away from Toney. But no doubt he is our focal point unlike last season where it was shared between the front 3.

I’m not confident we’ll nick 2nd place, I predict the play-offs personally with the way we’ve dropped in and out of form since the unbeaten run ended. But also we have gone most of the season without a settled first eleven and we are now coming back to a place where we have that so there is potential for this team to kick on again. We’ll just have to wait and see what a settled centre back partnership does alongside Norgaard and Dasilva playing consistently again does.

It’s been a while since Harlee Dean left us for Birmingham and said upon arrival that the team Birmingham had assembled was ten times better than any Brentford side he’d played in....that was a proper game for us, little mini rivalry brewed out of it, probably more so on our side, but now they’re just....skirting around relegation. Shame what’s happened to Brum

• The topic was unpinned

Archived