talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Copa America 2021 FINAL: Argentina 1 - 0 Brazil

football forum

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Grizzly21 said:

So news.

Firstly, Qatar and Australia are the invitees. At least @Toinho will be a part of this thread now.

Secondly, the final will be 2 legs :rofl:

Isn't Qatar an invitee this year as well?

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Cicero said:

This one or 2020? 

13 minutes ago, Stan said:

Isn't Qatar an invitee this year as well?

Yup

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Why are there two Copa America's in 2 years? 

They are going to start making it every 4 years from 2020, so it won't be the year after the World Cup from now on. This year being the only exception. Not entirely sure the reason though.

• 1 year later...

I cannot find the thread for this for the life of me. It's disappeared off the face of the earth.

Copa America is a go. Despite the fact the qualifiers were postponed and they need an extra window for that, they INSIST on making this go on, despite having one only 2 years ago.

The only good news from a Peru standpoint is that Paolo Guerrero can become the Copa America all time top scorer in this edition.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Mpache said:

I cannot find the thread for this for the life of me. It's disappeared off the face of the earth.

Merged it with the Copa America 2020 thread now as this year's tournament was meant to be last summer. 

Just now, Stan said:

Shame that Qatar and Australia won't now have a chance to win this prestigious trophy. What an opportunity it would have been.

I actually would have preferred them here to be blunt. It would have added more balance to the group and not this uneven 5 group nonsense where 4 teams go through.

10 minutes ago, Mpache said:

I actually would have preferred them here to be blunt. It would have added more balance to the group and not this uneven 5 group nonsense where 4 teams go through.

Don't really understand what's footballs problem with having these kinds of groups at major tournaments. I get it one team has to rest but lots of other sports do it & adjust the fixtures. If Euros were meant to be expanded i would rather like 20 teams with four groups of five top two going into the quarter finals rather than this third place shit that kills the group stages.  

Just now, McAzeem said:

Don't really understand what's footballs problem with having these kinds of groups at major tournaments. I get it one team has to rest but lots of other sports do it & adjust the fixtures. If Euros were meant to be expanded i would rather like 20 teams with four groups of five top two going into the quarter finals rather than this third place shit that kills the group stages.  

Just wait for the World Cup group stages in 2026...

Definitely one of my irritations with some of these competitions now, having completely uneven stages and 'Best third place teams'. 

I didn't mind the old format with best third going through, as it made for a long tournament and not just straight to semis.

However, I do have a problem with odd numbered groups. I don't care if it's 5, or 7. They suck. 3 teams is definitely the worst going for it though, and we'll have that in the World Cups starting in 2026. Fun innit bruv.

25 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Just wait for the World Cup group stages in 2026...

Definitely one of my irritations with some of these competitions now, having completely uneven stages and 'Best third place teams'. 

What they're doing with the World Cup is pointless. I was more talking about in the sense of Euros, qualification already has some groups with five teams so it's not alien to the game.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm bored, so I'll do a preview for the Copa. Choose to merge this if you want, but I think for SEO purpose it would be better to leave it seperately.

Group North

Brazil

They are favourites like always, but I don't quite think they'll win it. Everyone will send full squads to this as there are qualifiers prior to the tournament, so as Brazil you can never rule them out. Tite at the helm is the best domestic option Brazil could have. They have 12 points in qualifying out of 12, but they might struggle if they meet Argentina's path and they do have to face Colombia in the groups.

Key player: Neymar

Neymar will be key to this team as always. One of the best in the world and the star for Brazil. Not really needing to explain why I don't think.

Colombia

The home team. They are undergoing a transition, but they should finish 2nd or 3rd regardless. Just got rid of Carlos Quieroz and brought in 2016 Libertadores winner in Reinaldo Rueda, who is going to be more respected than Quieroz was, and will play a more dynamic style. More to "la colombiana". 

I reckon Colombia just forget about Falcao. He's finished, and keep Zapata up front with James behind. Muriel on the wing. Those 3 have worked well in qualifying at least in the first 2 matchdays. The backline has to be Mina and Davinson too. Murillo should just be left out as I highly doubt he's the 3rd best option. Hasn't looked good for Celta de Vigo.

Key player: James Rodriguez

Always good for Colombia and will continue to up his form here.

Peru

A Copa America for the record books for Paolo Guerrero, as if he does manage to play, he can become the top scorer of all time of the tournament. He needs 3 more goals to match the record and 4 more to smash it. 

Peru will look to recover form here. They've been awful in qualifying, with some of the old guard no longer working, such as Advincula, and a bit of a mess in tactical work as they are transitioning to new formations that don't quite work. The good thing about Peru is the midfield looks superb, with Aquino and Tapia, 2 of the best midfielders in their leagues, are great assets for La Blanquiroja.

It won't be the weirdest thing if Gareca tries a new batch of players similar to 2016. Regardless of Peru's poor form, I suspect they will get past their group again.

Key player: Paolo Guerrero

Likely his final big tournament, and again, one that he could possibly break into the record books.

Ecuador

Ecuador are notorious for being good in qualifying, but god awful in the actual tournament. Only 1 group exit since 1997 (which was in 2016) in the Copa, and 2 in all senior tournaments (2006 World Cup). They have a very good young generation of players like Moises Caicedo and Gonzalo Plata, but they'll be one of the favourites to go out again, along with Venezuela. Their record in tournaments is just too poor.

Regardless, they aren't a team anyone can sleep on.

Key player: Moises Caicedo

The young Ecuadorian star already has taken the qualifies by storming, managing 3 assists and he's not even 20 yet. I suspectc he'll be a key player for this Ecuador team, especially if they are to do well.

Venezuela

The other favourite to go out, and it will come down to that game against Ecuador. They have a much worse manager in Pereirano and have looked very poor in qualifying, barring a win against Chile.

Rondon will still be around and I suspect good link up between him and Yeferson Soteldo, but generally it's not a great side. I think they will make it out of the group but barely.

Key player: Yeferson Soteldo

Soteldo has been a great player for his clubs in South America over the past few years, whether it's Santos, or Universidad de Chile. His decision making can be frustrating but he generally does manage enough to create trouble. With an xA of 0.21, you can bet to rely on him in key moments.

Group South

Argentina

Argentina have looked great in qualifying, and they are slowly bouncing back with new and under the radar talent like Nico Gonzalez, Rodrigo de Paul, and more in the radar talent like Lautaro Martinez. They look to be back, and they are at home for this portion. I don't expect anything from them other than finishing top of their group.

Messi is still here and still looking to create magic, and he's getting better for the national team as there looks to be more interest under Scaloni.

Key player: Lautaro Martinez

Messi is obviously the best player on this team, but Lautaro is what makes them click and look like a proper side. One of Argentina's biggest mistakes they could make is bring along Aguero or Di Maria to disrupt that dressing room, as these new faces are working superbly.

Bolivia

Bolivia are the worst team in South America without a doubt, but they never have terrible talent. There is some in the team, but usually it's not enough to compete. Chumacero is not quite the player he used to be, and some of their younger players like Henry and Ramiro Vaca or Roberto Carlos Fernandez should be geled in.

I expect them to finish bottom nevertheless. They will do what they usually do and park the bus against everyone.

Key players: Marcelo Moreno Martins

The only player who could fight for a spot in other South American teams. I don't know what will be of Bolivia once he retires. Loves a goal vs Argentina.

Uruguay

They are declining up front but getting better in midfield. The likes of Bentancur, Torreira and Valverde are top class players and will be key for Uruguay's control in the midfield. Usually Uruguay are a dull side that works hard, with a bit of an outdated tactical philosophy. I still expect Suarez and Cavani to start up front for them, with Darwin Nuñez on the bench.

Key players: Edinson Cavani

This one was tough, but Cavani has been the best player for Uruguay since 2017. He has stood the test of time and is aging like a fine wine. Suarez has lost a lot more than him.

Paraguay

The hardest workers in South America. They don't have top class talent but generally always give it their all and never give up. The good thing Paraguay have going for them is they are playing on neutral ground, so they don't have that "implode at home" mentality they've had in qualifiers.

Almiron has been awful his whole time with the national team until last year, where he finally looks decent for them. I'm still not 100% sure on who will start up front though, could be Romero, Lezcano or Sanabria.

Key players: Miguel Almiron

The best player on this team, and the one with most experience at the top level. He's been good for Newcastle and I expect him to be a leader for La Albiroja

Chile

They have been OK in qualifying, not great. They have been better than I had suspected, but it's a mystery what squad they will bring. Arturo Vidal and Alexis Sanchez are still undisputed, but the will they bring a new fresh batch of youngsters, or will they bring the old guard like they did in 2019.

They will finish 2nd-4th, they have a shot at beating anyone here other than Argentina.

Key players: Arturo Vidal

Stood the test of time better than Alexis I think.

I think that it is a bit strange that they have decided to co-host this competition between two countries that don't border each other and that are more than 2,000 kilometers away from each other in distance. I know that the group A matches will all be played in Argentina, while the group B matches will all be played in Colombia, but I still think that it would have been better if the co-hosting countries bordered each other or were at least geographically much closer.

Argentina, Brazil and Colombia are the 3 favourites to win this competition for me. 

Messi is the key player for Argentina and to suggest that any other player is more key than him, is a bit ridiculous to be fair. But Argentina do look to have a lot of depth and their attack does look impressive. While Gonzalez and Martinez have been excellent for them in recent matches, I am also a real fan of Ocampos and Alario. Ocampos always seems to play very well, whenever I watch Seville play and his creativity and energy levels are impressive. While Alario really is a very effective centre forward, he's very strong in the air and he holds the ball up excellently. Argentina are generally spoilt for choice in attack, but Lo Celso in midfield, could also be crucial to their chances of winning it. His playmaking skills could be key in setting up the forwards to score for Argentina.

Brazil with Neymar are always going to be a threat, but their team looks strong in all areas to be honest. They have two top keepers in Ederson and Alisson. Their defence looks very solid, they have a good midfield and their attack is overflowing with talent. This could be the competition where Vinicius Junior really makes a name for himself.

James Rodriquez's playmaking skills will be crucial for Colombia as usual. Davinson Sanchez is part of a strong enough defence alongside the likes of Mina, Arias and Murillo, so I don't think that Colombia will concede many goals. Up front, I would like to see Jhon Cordoba given more of a chance. His career so far has been blighted by injuries, but in the last few years, he has developed into an excellent centre forward. His immense strength, his aerial ability and his nose for goal makes him a real threat to any defence. The more older and experienced Zapata is more likely to start though, while Morelos is another option, if they want a different kind of forward.

Uruguay are probably the 4th best side, as Chile are not the top side that they were a few years ago. Peru, Paraguay, Venezuela and Ecuador are all decent sides on their day, but I don't think any of them has a real chance of reaching the final. Bolivia as usual, look the weakest side by a distance. They don't have the advantage of playing at high altitude at home and their one stand-out player, Marcelo Martins, will be 34 when the competition is in full swing and he is already past his best.

I expect home advantage to really help the cause of both Argentina and Colombia, but Brazil will always be a serious threat to them in the competition.

3 minutes ago, Michael said:

I think that it is a bit strange that they have decided to co-host this competition between two countries that don't border each other and that are more than 2,000 kilometers away from each other in distance. I know that the group A matches will all be played in Argentina, while the group B matches will all be played in Colombia, but I still think that it would have been better if the co-hosting countries bordered each other or were at least geographically much closer.

Argentina, Brazil and Colombia are the 3 favourites to win this competition for me. 

Messi is the key player for Argentina and to suggest that any other player is more key than him, is a bit ridiculous to be fair. But Argentina do look to have a lot of depth and their attack does look impressive. While Gonzalez and Martinez have been excellent for them in recent matches, I am also a real fan of Ocampos and Alario. Ocampos always seems to play very well, whenever I watch Seville play and his creativity and energy levels are impressive. While Alario really is a very effective centre forward, he's very strong in the air and he holds the ball up excellently. Argentina are generally spoilt for choice in attack, but Lo Celso in midfield, could also be crucial to their chances of winning it. His playmaking skills could be key in setting up the forwards to score for Argentina.

Brazil with Neymar are always going to be a threat, but their team looks strong in all areas to be honest. They have two top keepers in Ederson and Alisson. Their defence looks very solid, they have a good midfield and their attack is overflowing with talent. This could be the competition where Vinicius Junior really makes a name for himself.

James Rodriquez's playmaking skills will be crucial for Colombia as usual. Davinson Sanchez is part of a strong enough defence alongside the likes of Mina, Arias and Murillo, so I don't think that Colombia will concede many goals. Up front, I would like to see Jhon Cordoba given more of a chance. His career so far has been blighted by injuries, but in the last few years, he has developed into an excellent centre forward. His immense strength, his aerial ability and his nose for goal makes him a real threat to any defence. The more older and experienced Zapata is more likely to start though, while Morelos is another option, if they want a different kind of forward.

Uruguay are probably the 4th best side, as Chile are not the top side that they were a few years ago. Peru, Paraguay, Venezuela and Ecuador are all decent sides on their day, but I don't think any of them has a real chance of reaching the final. Bolivia as usual, look the weakest side by a distance. They don't have the advantage of playing at high altitude at home and their one stand-out player, Marcelo Martins, will be 34 when the competition is in full swing and he is already past his best.

I expect home advantage to really help the cause of both Argentina and Colombia, but Brazil will always be a serious threat to them in the competition.

Colombia won't win it. They are in a real transition.

Uruguay are the 3rd best, and despite us being a shadow of what we were in 2018, I still think we're better than Chile. Just my opinion :) 

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Copa America 2021 FINAL: Argentina 1 - 0 Brazil
  • This topic was locked, unlocked and pinned
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived