The better place to talk football.

Copa America 2021 FINAL: Argentina 1 - 0 Brazil

football forum

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, montybhopa said:

Why do they want to play it with Euros?

My guess would be to align with the players and their club teams. 

If players are being released for the Euros, then they will also be released for the Copa America, and thus have the best talent available. 

Just my idea though

2 minutes ago, montybhopa said:

It was supposed to be held in 2020 but it changed bc of COVID pretty much like Euros.

But again, it's not consecutive years. I understand that was the original plan, but you can stop going on about this consecutive year nonsense when it was only done once that I know of. 

3 minutes ago, Eco said:

But again, it's not consecutive years. I understand that was the original plan, but you can stop going on about this consecutive year nonsense when it was only done once that I know of. 

Twice actually. This was supposed to be a consecutive tournament too. That's like 4 tournaments in 5 years. Way too many for an international tournament. Even AFC Asian Cup is held once in 4 years. CONMEBOL is corrupt af and their main intention behind having so many tournaments was to make Messi win at least one.

Just now, montybhopa said:

4 tournaments in 5 years. Looks like a recipe to make Messi win at least one @El Profesor

Copa América is not even close to the Euro for many reasons. 

First, there is only 10 countries affiliated to Conmebol. The level of competition is significantly lower. And 4 of 5 teams in the group stage qualified for quarter-finals. I mean, it's not exactly must-watch TV. Ratings in Brazil have been terrible.

Also, transport in South America is very expensive. Fans from other countries rarely come in a significant number. So,  it doesn't have the same atmosphere of the World Cup or the Euro. 

Conmebol decided recently to make extra editions of Copa América and It also contributed to make the competition less exciting. 

IMO There is only one solution. Concacaf and Conmebol getting together and organizing one single competition for all Americas. 

Imagine a trillion dollar confederation that’s represented by every South America Country spending billions to organise a tournament with the sole intention of wanting Messi to win it. 

Yeah. I can get behind that. 

3 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Copa América is not even close to the Euro for many reasons. 

First, there is only 10 countries affiliated to Conmebol. The level of competition is significantly lower. And 4 of 5 teams in the group stage qualified for quarter-finals. I mean, it's not exactly must-watch TV. Ratings in Brazil have been terrible.

Also, transport in South America is very expensive. Fans from other countries rarely come in a significant number. So,  it doesn't have the same atmosphere of the World Cup or the Euro. 

Conmebol decided recently to make extra editions of Copa América and It also contributed to make the competition less exciting. 

IMO There is only one solution. Concacaf and Conmebol getting together and organizing one single competition for all Americas. 

giphy-downsized-large.gif

5 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Imagine a trillion dollar confederation that’s represented by every South America Country spending billions to organise a tournament with the sole intention of wanting Messi to win it. 

Yeah. I can get behind that. 

Conmebol didn't organize this extra edition of Copa América with the sole intention of making Messi champion.

But... they definitely used the global interest around Messi's quest for his 1st international title to make some extra cash. 

The Copa América Centenario in the US in 2016 and this edition of Copa América were in my opinion clear cash grabs by Conmebol. 

Argentina the better side but wow forgot how pathetic South American football is to watch. Diving, rough, just ridiculous, half the game was spent with players rolling around. However, thought the Argentinian defence was very good.

Messi had some good chances near the end but was kept relatively quiet, the players should’ve been dancing and throwing Di Maria around instead of Messi.  

9 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Messi was the best player of the tournament by quite some margin, despite of a poor final. 

He was good from everything else I saw but it’s a team game. Obviously they’re happy for him. 

• Administrator

Delighted for Messi to finally win a major tournament with his country. It genuinely would have been some kind of travesty for a player of his level not to win an international competition. That picture @El Profesor put up is satisfying indeed. 

And this :x

• Administrator

Also, @El Profesor do you think it holds more significance it has been won by Argentina in Brazil, even without fans? 

In the grand scheme of things it probably matters very little but in the moment when they look back on this tournament victory, to beat the hosts in the final must have some sweet taste to it? 

• Subscriber

Very happy that Messi has his hands on an international trophy. His stats this year are absolutely insane considering he plays a much deeper role nowadays. 

The undisputed absolute goat. And the closest person to his level is Maradona. 

8 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

Very happy that Messi has his hands on an international trophy. His stats this year are absolutely insane considering he plays a much deeper role nowadays. 

The undisputed absolute goat. And the closest person to his level is Maradona. 

Tell me when he wins a World Cup... maybe then but not yet. 

7 hours ago, Stan said:

Also, @El Profesor do you think it holds more significance it has been won by Argentina in Brazil, even without fans? 

In the grand scheme of things it probably matters very little but in the moment when they look back on this tournament victory, to beat the hosts in the final must have some sweet taste to it? 

Definitely. Beating Brazil at Maracanã make it tastier to the argentinians. 

In terms of tradition and rivalry, I'd say Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay are on class of their own in south american football. 

15 hours ago, internationalsfan said:

Confederations had more than two teams though. 

Anyway, as the South America's keep saying the copa doesn't matter in the same way as the Euros I take it Messi hasn't won anything of note for his country yet? 

Also, whats with the excessive theatrics and rolling around on the pitch from Brazil and Neymar, I definitely prefer clapping your fans to that shit. I take it it's cultural as they don't do. It in Europe club teams where most of them play. 

Yeah and usually came down to South America and Europe team. 
or they met somewhere in the knockouts. 
the idea was already there and expanded to other confederations champions. 

what I would like is to see a team Europe vs team South America. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived