• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Copa America 2021 FINAL: Argentina 1 - 0 Brazil

football forum

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, El Profesor said:

I'll be honest, I don't really care about the Copa América title, but man the thought of the argies winning it at Maracanã makes me sick. I really hope we don't lose. ,😅

And Messi not winning anything at the International level is somewhat humorous. And yes, I know they won the Olympics, but that is very far down the totem pole of importance. 

These two teams combined have won 50% of all Copa Americas. Argentina with 14 and Brazil with 9. Surprisingly, Uruguay have more than both with 15. Argentina also haven't won anything since 93. Like England but 3 years longer...

• This topic was locked, unlocked and pinned

Will be staying up to watch this. Copa America some times leaves me underwhelmed, and it clashing with the Euros (and 1am kick offs) hasn't helped, but a final between these two teams will always be worth watching.

Interestingly FIFA are exploring the possibility of a Euros winner v Copa America winner cup match, to be introduced in 2025, it's a shame they're going to wait that long especially when playing it this winter as a test in Qatar could potentially see Argentina play England for the first time since 2005, and first competitive match since 2002. Would hope that opportunity makes them get on with it. 

https://www.marca.com/en/football/international-football/2021/07/04/60e219cae2704e37998b4644.html

2 minutes ago, internationalsfan said:

Getting ready for this is with a can of red bull, cup of coffee and two bananas. 

Thank the god the next World Cup has no 1am kick offs. Think that applies to 2026 as well. More annoying that this blatantly could have been earlier being a Saturday. 

But it's not for you...it's for people on our side of the world. 

Same reason EPL matches start at 8am in the morning for us, and why the Euro is in the middle of the day for us tomorrow. 

12 minutes ago, internationalsfan said:

Getting ready for this is with a can of red bull, cup of coffee and two bananas. 

Thank the god the next World Cup has no 1am kick offs. Think that applies to 2026 as well. More annoying that this blatantly could have been earlier being a Saturday. 

It´s probably due to television ratings in Brazil, SBT and not Globo as traditionally happens has the broadcasting rights, and the primetime for TV matches here is 9 o´clock. And also because of the asian market. Asia is probably a more important market than Europe at this rate due to its larger population. 

But I agree a bit earlier would be better. 

lol Apparently AFA already knew that there would public tonight, while CBF was totally caught by suprise. Therefore, there are lot more argentinians at Maracanã. 

I find hilarious that fanboys who know nothing about South America think that Conmebol always favors Brazil. 

Just now, El Profesor said:

It´s probably due to television ratings in Brazil, SBT and not Globo as traditionally happens has the broadcasting rights, and the primetime for TV matches here is 9 o´clock. And also because of the asian market. Asia is probably a more important market than Europe at this rate due to its larger population. 

But I agree a bit earlier would be better. 

lol Apparently AFA already knew that there would public tonight, while CBF was totally caught by suprise. Therefore, there are lot more argentinians at Maracanã. 

I find hilarious that fanboys who knows nothing about South America think that Conmebol always favors Brazil. 

Imagine how livid fans would be if they moved the match to say....noon in order to cater to the European market. People would lose their shit and rightfully so. 

Went for a hike this morning, and saw probably...4 Brazil jerseys and another 3-4 Argentina ones. I love this tournament and people here go absolutely nuts for it. 

Hoping Brazil win it. 

I'll go with 2-1 Brazil. 

@El Profesor - is there a natural preference in Latin and South America for Argentina over Brazil due to the language? Watching Mexico's Univision and it's all Argentina and when one guy had the gall to say he predicted Brazil to win, he was literally booed on live TV. xD

19 minutes ago, Eco said:

But it's not for you...it's for people on our side of the world. 

Same reason EPL matches start at 8am in the morning for us, and why the Euro is in the middle of the day for us tomorrow. 

Tbf the Euros being in the middle of the day on a Sunday seems okay. That's a normal kick off time here... 

Take your point 8am matches though. Sure the 2019 Copa America kicked off 9/10pm UK time / 5pm Brazil which seems reasonable on a Saturday. Although that's 4am in Bangladesh so probably not good for conmenbol to do that.

1 minute ago, internationalsfan said:

Tbf the Euros being in the middle of the day on a Sunday seems okay. That's a normal kick off time here... 

Take your point 8am matches though. Sure the 2019 Copa America kicked off 9/10pm UK time / 5pm Brazil which seems reasonable on a Saturday. 

Yeah - because of where we are located in the globe. Matches are catered to the local market first as it should be. 8/9pm is normal for us and prime time TV. 

Having a match in the middle of day sucks (especially with a kid) as you can't really do anything too lengthy otherwise you'd miss the game. 

1 minute ago, Eco said:

@El Profesor - is there a natural preference in Latin and South America for Argentina over Brazil due to the language? Watching Mexico's Univision and it's all Argentina and when one guy had the gall to say he predicted Brazil to win, he was literally booed on live TV. xD

I´d say there is generally more of a preference for Brazil. 

Argentinians are considered arrogant. Recently, for example, argentinian president, Alberto Fernández, said that argentinians came from Europe, while mexicans are natives and brazilians came from the jungle. And he´s supposed to be a more progressive, leftist politician.  haha

This illustrates well the traditional attitude of argentinians regarding their neighbors. 

But I´d say in the specific case, most latin americans want Argentina to win becase of Messi. 

5 minutes ago, Eco said:

Yeah - because of where we are located in the globe. Matches are catered to the local market first as it should be. 8/9pm is normal for us and prime time TV. 

Having a match in the middle of day sucks (especially with a kid) as you can't really do anything too lengthy otherwise you'd miss the game. 

I mean midday kick offs here a generally so the PL. Matches can be milked for telly both here and in Europe and Asia but let's not go there. Fans aren't particularly keen on them here, due to away travel. 

But yeah, good that they've put this on at 9pm local time. Must be great for all the children who care most about football, an 11.30pm possible finish. Similar argument being had here about tomorrow's Euros. An 11pm start in far Eastern Europe.... 

Anyway mainly watching in the hopes Brazil beat the Argentinians obviously. 

• The title was changed to Copa America 2021 FINAL: Argentina 1 - 0 Brazil
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived