talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football Calendar - Wenger Suggests Revamp

football forum

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Three months off? With the amount of games right now, they struggle to fit them all in and they only have about a month off now. From that view point alone, it would not work.

Plus, I can't say I'm an advocate for summer football. There are many other things to do in the summer months, rather than the winter months. No football in December / January and it would be very dull.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, ScoRoss said:

Three months off? With the amount of games right now, they struggle to fit them all in and they only have about a month off now. From that view point alone, it would not work.

Plus, I can't say I'm an advocate for summer football. There are many other things to do in the summer months, rather than the winter months. No football in December / January and it would be very dull.

Yeah I'm not a fan. I prefer our football calendar as it is (Aug-May). Christmas/NY fixture-period, as busy as it can be, is almost like tradition in UK. 

Is the 3-game international break a permanent thing? I hope not.

It would probably work out better for a lot of Europe as pitches would be in better condition, less bogs and frozen grass. Probably much better for players too as it’d help prevent injuries. I do like sport in the Summer, it’s a shame that we never get to go to matches when it’s hot as most of the season is in cold conditions.

Not a fan of the 3 month break, could get behind a big international tournament every year but I suppose that’s why there’s a 3 month break.

I feel one of the things that lockdown has shown that even a beautiful sport such as football can be shoved down your throat too much. Having a World Cup every two years devalues the prestige the tournament significantly.

I can't say I'm in favour of summer leagues either. For it to be implemented I imagine we will have to work towards a model of five subs and water breaks more often which slowed down the rhythem and flow of some matches. The first break in the FA Cup final being the most high profile example.

Archived