talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 2021 - Bahrain GP - 26th-28th March

football forum

• Subscriber
28 minutes ago, nudge said:

Norris, Perez and Tsunoda also very impressive. Yuki is the first driver promoted from F2 to score points on his debut. Who can guess which driver was the last once before him to do it?

I know! They only mentioned it about 5 times on the Sky commentary so see who was listening, it's not an obvious one :P .

A few additional thoughts:

Red Bull/Mercedes - still think it's the narrowly faster package overall but it's close enough between the two teams that I'd be surprised to see Bottas ahead of Verstappen or Perez ahead of Hamilton too often this year. Perez' race pace was encouraging in the circumstances though and I would say Bottas did a decent job up until the botched pit stop. I think this will be Valtteri's last year at the team though given the extra pressure on the team and another impressive race from Russell.

Midfield - looks like the pecking order hasn't actually changed that much from last year except Ferrari and Alfa Romeo are perhaps a bit stronger and Aston Martin and Alpine a bit weaker. Jury remains out on Alpha Tauri and whether their race pace will match their qualifying pace. The Ferrari still looked particularly weak down the straights. Norris and Leclerc the standout performers in this category. Honourable mention to Alonso. Concerning weekend from Vettel to be honest, it had everything from mediocre pace to a ridiculous mistake and a couple of penalties for good measure.

Williams/Haas - Russell with another really good race, as impressive really as Norris and Leclerc further up. Schumacher seemed to keep his nose clean apart from that spin he had which appeared not to be initiated by contact with any other driver. Mazepin did really well to have a more embarrassing weekend than Vettel to be fair to him.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, nudge said:

Who was that last F2/GP2 graduate to score points on his debut before today?

I didn't watch the British broadcast. And they didn't mention it on German Sky. But since Rando said it's not an obvious one I'm going with Marcus Ericsson?

• Subscriber
Just now, Tommy said:

I didn't watch the British broadcast. And they didn't mention it on German Sky. But since Rando said it's not an obvious one I'm going with Marcus Ericsson?

I didn't watch the British broadcast either, can't stand it xD 

Nope. It's Stoffel Vandoorne.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

I know! They only mentioned it about 5 times on the Sky commentary so see who was listening, it's not an obvious one :P .

A few additional thoughts:

Red Bull/Mercedes - still think it's the narrowly faster package overall but it's close enough between the two teams that I'd be surprised to see Bottas ahead of Verstappen or Perez ahead of Hamilton too often this year. Perez' race pace was encouraging in the circumstances though and I would say Bottas did a decent job up until the botched pit stop. I think this will be Valtteri's last year at the team though given the extra pressure on the team and another impressive race from Russell.

Midfield - looks like the pecking order hasn't actually changed that much from last year except Ferrari and Alfa Romeo are perhaps a bit stronger and Aston Martin and Alpine a bit weaker. Jury remains out on Alpha Tauri and whether their race pace will match their qualifying pace. The Ferrari still looked particularly weak down the straights. Norris and Leclerc the standout performers in this category. Honourable mention to Alonso. Concerning weekend from Vettel to be honest, it had everything from mediocre pace to a ridiculous mistake and a couple of penalties for good measure.

Williams/Haas - Russell with another really good race, as impressive really as Norris and Leclerc further up. Schumacher seemed to keep his nose clean apart from that spin he had which appeared not to be initiated by contact with any other driver. Mazepin did really well to have a more embarrassing weekend than Vettel to be fair to him.

Just looked at the standings from last season. Didn't know Max and Bottas both won 2 races each. I thought Bottas would have had  a few more wins. 

Looking at the Seb - Ocon incident again. What a ridiculous statement from Seb that Ocon changed lines. He didn't move at all. Seb changed lines and locked up straight into Ocon. What a horrible weekend for him. 

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I don't follow formula 1 but has there ever been a better British sportsman than Lewis Hamilton?

Vardy runs him very close but gotta admit Lewis is up there.

Not going to lie, F1 is probably the one Sport I have always struggled with.

I used to watch it when Damon Hill and Schumacher went toe to toe and then Villeneuve and Mika Hakkinen were involved in the title races as it was exciting.

For an absolute casual like me, I've struggled to find the appeal to stay invested in the Sport but every season, I usually start with the best intentions of following and then die off by the third/fourth race or so when the procession starts.

So as exciting as it was for me to watch a race as competitive as it transpired to be (and it was thrilling because I felt my heart going the last few laps), I can only imagine what it was like for plenty of you guys far more serious and into it than me. Must have felt amazing. Proper goosebumps.

That is Sport to a tee. God pity anyone that doesn't love Sport.

I'm all in for the next race for sure. I have no allegiance, I just want a genuine 50/50 battle that could go to the last race. Fingers crossed it wasn't a flash in the pan and the Sport wins back more casuals and gains more positive reactions.

Bahrain was for the most part was part of the Iranian Empire. Iran had a claim on Bahrain as it's own territory until 1970s when Reza Shah agreed to a backdoor deal with the Brits to give up the claim. Public sentiments are pretty much still alive on either side of the claim.

Wasn't last seasons opening race really good in Austria? I hope it continues this season.

I wish while they were in the Middle East they had a back to back races in 7 days, Bahrain followed by Abu Dhabi. Simply just to get that sack of shit Abu Dhabi out of the way.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Important data!

Wow. The lockdown must have been really hard to the person who made this, and it shows 😂

That said, those masks are proper trash. 

• Subscriber

Helmut Marko said on Austrian TV that Max drove with less power as a precaution due to the issues with the differential on his car. Hopefully it's true and they can keep on challenging Mercedes in the upcoming races.

17 hours ago, nudge said:

Helmut Marko said on Austrian TV that Max drove with less power as a precaution due to the issues with the differential on his car. Hopefully it's true and they can keep on challenging Mercedes in the upcoming races.

Wasn't the fastest lap by Max around 3 quarters of a lap quicker then anyone else?

On 28/03/2021 at 22:30, Lucas said:

Not going to lie, F1 is probably the one Sport I have always struggled with.

I used to watch it when Damon Hill and Schumacher went toe to toe and then Villeneuve and Mika Hakkinen were involved in the title races as it was exciting.

For an absolute casual like me, I've struggled to find the appeal to stay invested in the Sport but every season, I usually start with the best intentions of following and then die off by the third/fourth race or so when the procession starts.

So as exciting as it was for me to watch a race as competitive as it transpired to be (and it was thrilling because I felt my heart going the last few laps), I can only imagine what it was like for plenty of you guys far more serious and into it than me. Must have felt amazing. Proper goosebumps.

That is Sport to a tee. God pity anyone that doesn't love Sport.

I'm all in for the next race for sure. I have no allegiance, I just want a genuine 50/50 battle that could go to the last race. Fingers crossed it wasn't a flash in the pan and the Sport wins back more casuals and gains more positive reactions.

Sorry your F1 career never went as planned.

• Subscriber
On 29/03/2021 at 11:17, Tommy said:

Important data!

Shocked that ameeltun wasn’t in p1 given eeeez a dramar kweeen and atenshun seeka.

Or let me guess. He’s got the best mask?!!??  Aaaah that’s why he’s the goat. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived