• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Financial Fair Play to be scrapped?

football forum

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

How odd and also absurd. The whole reason football is in the mess its in is because of the uncontrolled spending. Wonder what brought this on? Let me rephrase that, I wonder who threatened to stop funding XYZ if this wasnt taken away.

• Administrator

About time. It only encouraged shady dealings and effectively maintained the status quo by stopping clubs from speculating to accumulating, within reason. 

Big clubs wanted FFP to stop Malaga, PSG, Man City, Anzi scenarios happening again, to stop the peasants revolting. 

After a few years and realizing it was in fact the Madrids, Chelseas, Barcelonas of the world who were cooking the books season after season, they've changed their minds. 

FFP was already dead after they basically said "if you don't show us the evidence of violating FFP until after our statute of limitations for when we can consider such evidence doesn't exist, then FFP doesn't really matter."

• 4 months later...
28 minutes ago, Batard said:

Good luck with applying luxury taxes. Not every country has reciprocal tax agreements with each other. 

I don't think it'd be a "true tax" in that a government is collecting the tax - I think it's just a different way of saying "fines"

But the thing is, to these clubs where money appears to be no object... is fining these clubs going to be effective? Or is it going to be a slap on the wrist that these clubs that throw money around can just laugh off?

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't think it'd be a "true tax" in that a government is collecting the tax - I think it's just a different way of saying "fines"

But the thing is, to these clubs where money appears to be no object... is fining these clubs going to be effective? Or is it going to be a slap on the wrist that these clubs that throw money around can just laugh off?

There's no way it could be a true tax and any UEFA fines would have to be agreed as part of entry into the Champions League. They're being a bit myopic here, after losing the battle with Juve, Barca and Real Madrid, they should be focussing on other routes to quell financial calamities. 

3 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@DeadLinesman you're a rugby man. Anything football could learn  from it?  They have a salary cap in rugby dont they? 

They do but it’s easy to get around. I support Warrington and it’s laughable how we can sign so many ‘superstars’ on obvious big wages. We’re financed by Simon Moran (owns SMG and runs all the biggest concerns around the world). 

• 7 months later...

It's always been so odd to me. 

Europe, which is more economically left wing and far happier for it than the US, has such a grossly capitalist financial system in place for football, that leaves your typical capitalist top 1% in the money and everyone else in the shitter. You'd think they'd learn from their individual economic situations and convert that over.
However the US for the NFL has a MUCH more fair and reasonable system that allocates resources to those most in need so that things don't get too stale. Yes, the richest clubs can always pay the salary cap, and keep more of their top players more often, but it's SO much fairer and still requires some actual brain power from the teams staff, rather than Manchester United finishing top 4 because they have a shit manager, players who can't be arsed and a vague system, but lots of money. Again, you'd think they'd learn from NFL that that's transferable to the population but again, nup. 

@Devil-Dick Willie I've always thought it was a bit weird that America has better systems to make things more even than europe as well.

Dont you get an earlier pick in the draft in the NFL or something if you finish lower ?

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

@Devil-Dick Willie I've always thought it was a bit weird that America has better systems to make things more even than europe as well.

Dont you get an earlier pick in the draft in the NFL or something if you finish lower ?

Yes. And there is salary caps, and you can swap draft picks for established players. 

6 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Yes. And there is salary caps, and you can swap draft picks for established players. 

I don't mind clubs being able to spend more when they make good financial decisions. But I dont like the way the system is set up to make the rich richer and the poor poorer. I think one day certain clubs may break away and form a rival organisation to fifa. 

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

It's always been so odd to me. 

Europe, which is more economically left wing and far happier for it than the US, has such a grossly capitalist financial system in place for football, that leaves your typical capitalist top 1% in the money and everyone else in the shitter. You'd think they'd learn from their individual economic situations and convert that over.
However the US for the NFL has a MUCH more fair and reasonable system that allocates resources to those most in need so that things don't get too stale. Yes, the richest clubs can always pay the salary cap, and keep more of their top players more often, but it's SO much fairer and still requires some actual brain power from the teams staff, rather than Manchester United finishing top 4 because they have a shit manager, players who can't be arsed and a vague system, but lots of money. Again, you'd think they'd learn from NFL that that's transferable to the population but again, nup. 

It's all about a gradual process so that people just reluctantly accept the super league. Damage the pyramid as much as possible, make the current 'product' as shit, boring and predictable as possible so that people want change, offered by the super league.

This is just another version of FFP - preservation for the status quo.

Archived