• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Brazilian Football To Allow Only 1 Manager Change Per Season

football forum

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Schalke aren't going to Brazil any time soon I see. 

This rule should be adopted in Italy, who have amazingly shit patience. Nobody is worse than Brazil though!

52 minutes ago, Mpache said:

This rule should be adopted in Italy, who have amazingly shit patience. Nobody is worse than Brazil though!

Yep. Brazilian clubs are way too fast to pull the trigger on coaches. This has created a terrible herd mentality of conservatism in brazilian football, where the main goal of most coaches is to play safe, defensive football in order to get results and keep the job.   

Botafogo, for example, had 5 coaches in the year of 2020.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Pyfish said:

Something I think would work well across the board in football. If two managers can't get it right, you know there's a deeper set problem there.

Its called the owners.

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

It might help them realise they are the issue... but then again, it won't.

It really wont but I think you're right in the sense that owners would have to think very hard before they make a decision on who to appoint and it also makes it important to properly vet someone before hiring them.

1 hour ago, Batard said:

This doesn't seem legal

Good point. I'd say it's probably unconstitutional as it limits the rights of access to work for the coaches, but I highly doubt it will be taken to court.

There is a lot of reticence around football to take their demands to the ordinary justice. At least here in Brazil.

4 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Its called the owners.

Most brazilian football clubs are non-profit associations. It's similar to the spanish model, there are presidents not owners. 

I'd say the problem in our football is not ownership but club politics. Think Barcelona and Bartomeu. This is the level of mess of most brazilian clubs. 😬

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Good point. I'd say it's probably unconstitutional as it limits the rights of access to work for the coaches, but I highly doubt it will be taken to court.

There is a lot of reticence around football to take their demands to the ordinary justice. At least here in Brazil.

Most brazilian football clubs are non-profit associations. It's similar to the spanish model, there are presidents not owners. 

I'd say the problem in our football is not ownership but club politics. Think Barcelona and Bartomeu. This is the level of mess of most brazilian clubs. 😬

I'd imagine to offset the problem of 1 coach being rotated ever so often clubs will now have more presidential change overs. Because I cant imagine fans being happy with poor appointments and judging by the number of changes that already happen this seems like a likely scenario.

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

I think this creates an additional issue where what happens if your permitted two coaches a year/season decide to resign. The club are forced to forego a manager until the following year/season?

14 minutes ago, Batard said:

I think this creates an additional issue where what happens if your permitted two coaches a year/season decide to resign. The club are forced to forego a manager until the following year/season?

That's a good point. I suppose they'll work exceptions to the rule. However the problem is as aforementioned, Brazilian directors are way too inpatient, and most clubs end up with at least 3 managers in a season.

3 hours ago, Mel81x said:

I'd imagine to offset the problem of 1 coach being rotated ever so often clubs will now have more presidential change overs. Because I cant imagine fans being happy with poor appointments and judging by the number of changes that already happen this seems like a likely scenario.

Good point. It will be indeed interesting to see how the politics around the clubs evolve in this new scenario. 

3 hours ago, Batard said:

No. If the coach himself asks to be relieved of his functions it´s not counted as a change. And this is a potential loophole that may render this rule ineffective.  

Considering the brazilian cultural problem of always finding ways to circumvent the rules, I can see clubs reaching agreements with coaches in order to make those latter ask to leave.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

No. If the coach himself asks to be relieved of his functions it´s not counted as a change. And this is a potential loophole that may render this rule ineffective.  

Considering the brazilian cultural problem of always finding ways to circumvent the rules, I can see clubs reaching agreements with coaches in order to make those latter ask to leave.

So they effectively can incentivise a coach to leave, likely on the terms they would have achieved had they been sacked. In Italy, managers tend to be kept on the books rather than paid off in one hit - it's also why you see managers so frequently return to the same clubs -  is it similar in Brasil?

6 minutes ago, Batard said:

So they effectively can incentivise a coach to leave, likely on the terms they would have achieved had they been sacked. In Italy, managers tend to be kept on the books rather than paid off in one hit - it's also why you see managers so frequently return to the same clubs -  is it similar in Brasil?

Yes. Santos, for example, had recently 5 coaches simultaneously on their books. 

Archived