talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Vinyl

football forum

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Dropping the needle is scary the first time but the needle is designed to make contact to the vinyl, so you'd have to be pretty silly to damage the needle and the vinyl. It's pretty easy to do as well, just lower it slowly with a finger, the needle will catch the vinyl and just follow through and keep lowering that finger. You'll know if you fucked up because of the immediate sound feedback. It's so simple it is one mechanical movement of the arm. I wouldn't even bother with an automatic arm, it's remarkably easy to drop the needle into the blank spots between tracks and start playing a record at any song you wish.

If you have a quality hi-fi system and listen to a lot of records don't bother with an automatic. It's a trade off between convenience and audio fidelity. 

You're flush with options, personally I love my antique Technics SL1200. Who knows how many people have used it during it's near forty year life? Doesn't matter because it is indestructible, I could probably throw it out my second story window and it'd be fine. Buy a manual, impress your friends, scare your wife away from the TT so she won't play her shitty music.

Guide To Technics 1200 Turntables — TurntableLab.com

It seems easy enough.

Those Technics are pretty legendary but holy fuck the price :o - but I've been looking at an Audio Technica that looks.... suspiciously... like the SL1200, almost like they've stolen the design...

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It seems easy enough.

Those Technics are pretty legendary but holy fuck the price :o - but I've been looking at an Audio Technica that looks.... suspiciously... like the SL1200, almost like they've stolen the design...

Well are you looking at new SL1200s or the original model run from 78-10? The originals should be $300-$500 second hand. It is one of the best selling TTs of all time, you can’t not find them. There are other manufacturers, Pioneer, Sony, U-Turn, Reloop, TEAC. Keep in mind, you will probably have to purchase a phono-preamp as I think the LP60 has a built in phono. Also take into account the usability, some very good sounding TTs have stripped out features, if you like to play a lot of 33s and 45s keep in mind some TTs require manually switching the motor speed as opposed to pressing a button. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204213984559?epid=154293257&hash=item2f8c1a1d2f:g:XckAAOSwr3djwMfI&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4OkKja4uJKwoXdoN8iND7940CE9AggX59smroE8JMrjnP%2BB3iG4DsbLgKpodNGxsyhmFu4c5Yx1b70XsDAWGx65YFdzUC8laoiEvob%2Btehm4oGhykiCXu4z0m%2B0cDOLKtJlvFvQOGn0YCdapAFFsH2UHHENqWrpOKndgY8gnqy83R8hHppLJjO8ds%2FzYD8icIYyZ4ZaiF%2B4S9gTIMmtR4klQng7CYkFGC6k8wuOZ8hcZklYzfCMg4TwAc6ewqTPIsgqy%2Bw1Aa0GQ0fK6p29H%2B2IusQfmoVQ%2FjqOJhh5W3XOQ|tkp%3ABk9SR4q1j8W1YQ

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Spike said:

Well are you looking at new SL1200s or the original model run from 78-10? The originals should be $300-$500 second hand. It is one of the best selling TTs of all time, you can’t not find them. There are other manufacturers, Pioneer, Sony, U-Turn, Reloop, TEAC. Keep in mind, you will probably have to purchase a phono-preamp as I think the LP60 has a built in phono. Also take into account the usability, some very good sounding TTs have stripped out features, if you like to play a lot of 33s and 45s keep in mind some TTs require manually switching the motor speed as opposed to pressing a button. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204213984559?epid=154293257&hash=item2f8c1a1d2f:g:XckAAOSwr3djwMfI&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4OkKja4uJKwoXdoN8iND7940CE9AggX59smroE8JMrjnP%2BB3iG4DsbLgKpodNGxsyhmFu4c5Yx1b70XsDAWGx65YFdzUC8laoiEvob%2Btehm4oGhykiCXu4z0m%2B0cDOLKtJlvFvQOGn0YCdapAFFsH2UHHENqWrpOKndgY8gnqy83R8hHppLJjO8ds%2FzYD8icIYyZ4ZaiF%2B4S9gTIMmtR4klQng7CYkFGC6k8wuOZ8hcZklYzfCMg4TwAc6ewqTPIsgqy%2Bw1Aa0GQ0fK6p29H%2B2IusQfmoVQ%2FjqOJhh5W3XOQ|tkp%3ABk9SR4q1j8W1YQ

Yeah the LP60 has the built in phono pre-amp, but you can turn it off. I bought one about a year ago, it's a Schiit (lol) Mani - I think it sounds better than the built in one with the LP60. So I've got the pre-amp ready to go. I think some of the models I was looking at had the manual switching motorspeed, but I'd prefer having the buttons. I've been looking at various Fluance & Audio Technicas... tbh I'm something of an Audio Technica fanboy - I've been using the same Audio Technica pair of headphones for over 15 years now because it's great, the first microphones my brother and I bought for recording our shit band were AT mics - our band was shit, the mics were great, and turntable I think has been well worth the $115 I spent on it almost 3 years ago. But I know that brand loyalty is also kind of fucking stupid xD - but I think they make good products at good prices.

I might just place a bid on that older one! I was looking at some of the newer ones... those are quite pricy and I don't think I can justify that cost for a turntable. Thanks for sending that link!

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

So... I got a weird early birthday present from my sister which was a vinyl (a Nirvana one at that). I started scouring this thread for options and noticed @Spike mentioned Technics which I really have my heart set on. It's second hand and working up to around the cost of a brand new AT LP120. Anything in particular you'd recommend I look out for with something that is used? It's been vetted by the vinyl store folks but I really want someone's opinion from a user's perspective. Would I be better off getting the new AT or should I go with the Technics, which I have had experience with back in the early 2000s due to someone in college listening to house music vinyls.

Picture for reference

IMG_20220824_121012_1200x.jpg?v=16613291

Edited by Mel81x
  • Wow 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mel81x said:

So... I got a weird early birthday present from my sister which was a vinyl (a Nirvana one at that). I started scouring this thread for options and noticed @Spike mentioned Technics which I really have my heart set on. It's second hand and working up to around the cost of a brand new AT LP120. Anything in particular you'd recommend I look out for with something that is used? It's been vetted by the vinyl store folks but I really want someone's opinion from a user's perspective. Would I be better off getting the new AT or should I go with the Technics, which I have had experience with back in the early 2000s due to someone in college listening to house music vinyls.

Picture for reference

IMG_20220824_121012_1200x.jpg?v=16613291

That thing looks awesome. Technics are built like tanks so the only thing you’d have to worry about is the motor, I suppose. Get them to toss in a slipmat and a needle if you are the haggling sort. You’d need a phono, and a receiver too.

looks like the only thing that are missing are the dustcover and the 45 adapter

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...