talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What Your Team Needs To Push On Next Season

football forum

• Administrator

It's pretty simple really, we're approaching the tail end of this season, some teams have flourished and some are floundering.

What does your team need for the 2021/22 season - New Players? New Board? New Kit? New Ground? A loan?

Marseille, from my perspective, we NEED stability at managerial level and we're only going to achieve that by having a coherent transfer strategy. We desperately need to retain midfield quality, selling Sanson for Ntcham was absurd. Milik, not a bad shout but is that what we need? I don't think so. We need a commanding centreback that isn't prone to suicidal defending. We DESPERATELY need an out and out forward with a killer instinct in front of goal. Then again, if I was going to set some constraints for this thread, I think the one thing we need more than anything is a manager with a vision supported by the board.

There will always be quality in the youth ranks, but it counts for nowt if there's a new manager every 9 months. What's the point of going into a season with a view of 'oh well, always next season'. That's not ambition or even pragmatism, that's fucking lazy. 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
Just now, Batard said:

This has been a very rewarding and enriching conversation 

I know, right?...  xD

Sorry. But yeah, in all seriousness, money is indeed what we need to ensure our liquidity first and foremost, and then buy quite a few new players. To be precise, a completely new midfield, and a striker who can actually score regularly, at the very least. 

• Administrator
Just now, nudge said:

I know, right?...  xD

Sorry. But yeah, in all seriousness, money is indeed what we need to ensure our liquidity first and foremost, and then buy quite a few new players. To be precise, a completely new midfield, and a striker who can actually score regularly, at the very least. 

What sort of money does Werder have that even remotely begins to cover any of that?

• Subscriber
Just now, Batard said:

What sort of money does Werder have that even remotely begins to cover any of that?

None whatsoever. I posted it earlier in the Werder thread, but basically, we now have negative equity and are in debt for the first time ever, had to take out a 20 million loan at the start of the season to ensure the liquidity, and are now looking for another loan of 15-20 millions in addition to that, for the very same reason. There is no chance of proper strengthening of the squad during the summer, as the only money we'd have for new players would come from selling current players, which creates a kind of Catch-22: selling our best players weakens the squad, and the money we get for them isn't enough to buy proper replacements for them AND strengthen other areas of the squad, but we still have to sell because we need money to survive. Ugh.

• Administrator

Squad depth. Saw how badly a combination of injuries and Europa League football in a tight schedule battered us and had to rely on youngsters. Whilst that might not be such a bad thing, it's not a sustainable way of playing. The youngsters and back-up have done brilliant in the short-term each time they've been called upon but given we could be playing CL football next season, even our back-up has to be bettered.

Some players are out of contract in summer anyway - Fuchs & Morgan have contracts ending and while I'd love the latter to stay in/around the club, it shouldn't be in a playing capacity. It's some money off the wage bill to give to other players as new contracts most likely.

There's a handful of clubs that need a new ST, but outside of Haaland, is there anyone out there that is an upgrade to what they have? Haaland himself will cost nearly 200 million, and that is not even considering Raiola's fees. 

I think Tuchel wants Havertz to be the ST or false 9, with one of Tammy or Giroud as back up. Werner up top if needed as well. Think we need a DM, CB, and GK. Mendy will be gone for AFCON next January and there is no way the club is going to trust Kepa if we are in the midst of a title challenge. 

As it stands we have

Ederson (GK/CB/MF/ST) Steffen (GK) Carson (GK) 

Walker (FB/CB) Cancelo (FB/MF) Mendy (FB/CB) Zinc (FB/MF)

Dias (CB) Laporte (CB/FB) Stones (CB) Ake (CB)

Gundogan (MF) Fernandinho (MF/CB) Rodrigo (MF) De Bruyne (MF) Bernardo (MF/WG)  Foden (MF/WG)

Mahrez (WG/MF) Sterling (WG) Torres (WG/ST)

Augero (ST) Jesus (ST/WG)

It's easy to see we need more strikers, Aguero might be over the hill and constantly injured and Jesus is a different type of forward and gets injured alot too  ..Kane & Haaland would be good buys this summer, Mbappe  wants CRAZY wages which i cant see us paying and not sure what Messi is going to do, he could do a job upfront or deeper for us if he leaves Barca

• Administrator

Given the impact of COVID to club finances, I would find it highly unlikely any club would be spending insane amounts of money on a striker. Harry Kane, of all the forwards likely available, is still also the least likely to move due to the cost. Tottenham are not going to let him leave for less £150m, maybe even more. I personally feel what City needs is to start retaining it's youth players and blooding them. Only Foden has really made the step up. I'm surprised Pep hasn't looked to integrate more into the first XI, especially given the lack of striking option. 

15 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

New CB

New RB

New DM

New Striker

Pretty much this but I think we can delay on the right back as I think AWB will eventually be pushed by Williams for that slot. 

Not sure we can afford all the three positions this window though and I think the Cavani situation has thrown a spanner in the works. Ole would have maybe done another season with Edison and invested heavy in the midfield and defence but I think maybe only two signings in the summer and striker has to be a priority. 

2 minutes ago, Devil said:

Pretty much this but I think we can delay on the right back as I think AWB will eventually be pushed by Williams for that slot. 

Not sure we can afford all the three positions this window though and I think the Cavani situation has thrown a spanner in the works. Ole would have maybe done another season with Edison and invested heavy in the midfield and defence but I think maybe only two signings in the summer and striker has to be a priority. 

I think in the long term, we’re more likely to see Ethan Laird at RB as opposed to Williams. I like Williams though. Definitely don’t want Sancho. 

Just now, DeadLinesman said:

I think in the long term, we’re more likely to see Ethan Laird at RB as opposed to Williams. I like Williams though. Definitely don’t want Sancho. 

See I'm the opposite, I'd love him in our team. 

All I've seen of Ethan Laird is full of promise but I've seen Williams step up look comfortable at Premier league level so I have to say at this time he's more ready. Obviously he's a few years development off a starting spot but I think he could eventually be a long term option. 

Sort Out Coaching Staff Situation - Roy Hodgson and his coaching staff are out of contract this summer and I genuinely think some fans are beginning to lose sleep over this matter not being resolved. Is he staying? Do we want him to stay? Does he want to stay? If he does, why hasn't he signed? Do we want him gone? What's the point of him still being here if we want change next season? Shouldn't a new manager come in now to assess the squad? What about Howe? What if our target isn't available until the summer? Is it Dyche? Is it Lampard? Are we waiting on Cooper? Either way, I imagine Parish and Roy know what's happening and we will have to wait to find out.

Sort Out a Million Contracts - Presumably Mitchell, Schlupp, Kelly, McArthur one of Dann/Cahill, Clyne/Ward will stay Henderson, Hennessey, Sakho, Wickham and PVA will go whilst McCarthy, Townsend and Benteke are 50/50. Batshuayi will be gone too.

Get Our Traditional Chelsea Loan - Connor Gallagher is the early favourite but I really wouldn't be adverse to Marc Guehi if he's not going to be in there first team.

Zahagate - I imagine we will brace ourselves for another summer of him trying to force a move, nobody paying the asking price, and the end result could be he signs a new contract with a release clause.

There's literally no point trying to predict anything else until we know where we stand with the contract situation. A part of me feels fortunate that we're going to get so many high earners that are not good enough off our books at a time when nobody else. The other half of me is terrified.

This summer will shape whether we are a Premier League club for the next 4 to 5 seasons or we become another low Championship club without a pot to piss in as the owners have lost interest.

Archived