talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Erling Haaland - Man City Complete Signing of Dortmund Striker

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Manchester City have been handed a significant boost in their chase of Erling Haaland, as Real Madrid have reportedly dropped out of the race to sign the Borussia Dortmund striker.

It was reported in October that the Sky Blues are 'ready' to sign Haaland when his £64 million release clause kicks in next summer, with the Manchester side 'planning meetings' with the striker's agent Mino Raiola in January

Real Madrid have ruled out a move for Haaland as they have believe that the forward will move to the Premier League in 2022.

City had recently emerged as one of the leading contenders to lure Haaland from Dortmund owing to their ties with Puma, who are set to tempt the Norway international with a sensational sponsorship package of £50 million over a period of four years.

Moreover, it has been stated that Raiola is set to hold talks with the Etihad hierarchy in January over a possible switch to the east side of Manchester for Haaland, whose father Alfie, is good friends with Bjorn Gulden - Norwegian chief executive of Puma 

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of news on this side that he may be considering a 1-year extension to his deal that would more than double his current wages and increase the buy-out clause.  Allegedly, he loves it in Dortmund and wants to play in front of a packed house there as he feels COVID has robbed him of the experience.  

It's all media talk so who knows what's real and what isn't.  Personally, I think money talks and he'll end up at Madrid.

Still such an odd concept to me. "Money talks" If I'm a top level player, then no matter where I play I'm going to earn more money than I can reasonably spend. Even if I played for say, Everton, and was world class, they'd pay me out the nose, not so much as man city or Chelsea, but they'd pay me 200k a week no sweat. 
Once your on that level, I think any intelligent persons priorities should be filling your cabinet and building a legacy. Either making yourself very special to one club, at the expense of silverware and playing in some different environments(Stevie G, Reus), or playing at many top clubs in many countries, maybe undermining your legacy at any one of those clubs, but building a bigger one overall (Ronaldo, Ibra) 

Money is an afterthought. Once I'm earning 10+ million per season, I couldn't give a fuck what offer Madrid make me, they can shove their collection of greedy individuals up their ass. 

8 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Still such an odd concept to me. "Money talks" If I'm a top level player, then no matter where I play I'm going to earn more money than I can reasonably spend. Even if I played for say, Everton, and was world class, they'd pay me out the nose, not so much as man city or Chelsea, but they'd pay me 200k a week no sweat. 
Once your on that level, I think any intelligent persons priorities should be filling your cabinet and building a legacy. Either making yourself very special to one club, at the expense of silverware and playing in some different environments(Stevie G, Reus), or playing at many top clubs in many countries, maybe undermining your legacy at any one of those clubs, but building a bigger one overall (Ronaldo, Ibra) 

Money is an afterthought. Once I'm earning 10+ million per season, I couldn't give a fuck what offer Madrid make me, they can shove their collection of greedy individuals up their ass. 

I agree with you tbh. At a certain wage, sure more money can be nice and to a lot of people it's really really enticing because money makes life easier (and at the wages these footballers can get, if they're moderately intelligent they can potentially set up their families for generations). But there's certainly a shitload of factors that can make someone prefer working at one place over another place trying to get them to move away at higher wages... especially if you're already paid pretty well. I think that's true of not just footballers, but people in any job.

It's probably a bit different for football players who are being offered a ridiculous amount of money to live in Paris or Madrid and pal around with some ridiculously good players & these players have massive egos so they probably think they can come to a club like Madrid and just slot in and be a legend like Zidane or Raul no sweat.

I do think, though, as wages have gotten a bit more insane in recent years... I think it's natural for players to want to be paid "the market value" for players that have similar output for their team as other players do. They've only got one playing career and it's not very long - if, for whatever reason, my job only had 10-15 years where I could get paid at a premium and there were people doing what I do, just as well as me, but getting paid a ridiculous amount more... I'd also want to get a ridiculous amount of money for what I do.

I do think it's a bit difficult for us to comprehend what it's like getting the insane amount of money they do when they get paid and imo it does seem much easier to become a greedy piece of shit once you've been presented with the opportunity to make an obscene amount of money.

On 30/11/2021 at 15:19, Dr. Gonzo said:

I agree with you tbh. At a certain wage, sure more money can be nice and to a lot of people it's really really enticing because money makes life easier (and at the wages these footballers can get, if they're moderately intelligent they can potentially set up their families for generations). But there's certainly a shitload of factors that can make someone prefer working at one place over another place trying to get them to move away at higher wages... especially if you're already paid pretty well. I think that's true of not just footballers, but people in any job.

It's probably a bit different for football players who are being offered a ridiculous amount of money to live in Paris or Madrid and pal around with some ridiculously good players & these players have massive egos so they probably think they can come to a club like Madrid and just slot in and be a legend like Zidane or Raul no sweat.

I do think, though, as wages have gotten a bit more insane in recent years... I think it's natural for players to want to be paid "the market value" for players that have similar output for their team as other players do. They've only got one playing career and it's not very long - if, for whatever reason, my job only had 10-15 years where I could get paid at a premium and there were people doing what I do, just as well as me, but getting paid a ridiculous amount more... I'd also want to get a ridiculous amount of money for what I do.

I do think it's a bit difficult for us to comprehend what it's like getting the insane amount of money they do when they get paid and imo it does seem much easier to become a greedy piece of shit once you've been presented with the opportunity to make an obscene amount of money.

This is what gets me.  On a personal level I couldn't give a fuck what others around me are making.  As long as I like my work and am happy with what I take home and can live comfortably that doesn't matter.  I recently found out that a co-worker of mine, who has 7-8 years less experience than me, was given a retention bonus that took his pay above mine.  To be honest, it didn't really faze me as much as I thought it might.

Football is one thing that gives people and nations who otherwise lag on international front a chance to showcase at the top level. 

Many footballers are treated as bottom of the barrel by society before they make it ! But then they have a polar shift in their lives, understandable if they choose money. 

1 hour ago, Khan of TF365 said:

Football is one thing that gives people and nations who otherwise lag on international front a chance to showcase at the top level. 

Many footballers are treated as bottom of the barrel by society before they make it ! But then they have a polar shift in their lives, understandable if they choose money. 

Don't know, which countries you're talking about here- definetely not European or South American ones, though. Footballers even of third tier clubs are treated like little princes here!

1 hour ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Don't know, which countries you're talking about here- definetely not European or South American ones, though. Footballers even of third tier clubs are treated like little princes here!

Talking about living conditions of some players growing up specially from South America.

23 minutes ago, Khan of TF365 said:

Talking about living conditions of some players growing up specially from South America.

It's true some footballers come from economically precarious circumstances, also in Europe by the way, still you said they were treated like parias, which just isn't true. In fact they're treated way better as people deriving from equivalent situations not playing football. Indeed footballers are priviliged compared to other people from their class in all countries throughout Europe and South America.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

It's true some footballers come from economically precarious circumstances, also in Europe by the way, still you said they were treated like parias, which just isn't true. In fact they're treated way better as people deriving from equivalent situations not playing football. Indeed footballers are priviliged compared to people from their in all countries throughout Europe and South America.

I think what he means is that many footballers, especially in developing regions, come from underprivileged backgrounds where they were poor and treatedly badly by the society BEFORE becoming professional footballers, so once they start earning their living from playing football, they prioritise money above everything else based on their prior life experiences.

• 3 weeks later...

Manchester City are not planning to move for a forward in January and will instead wait until the summer, when they can pursue their top target: Borussia Dortmund star Erling Haaland.

Competition for Haaland

"City are planning to hold meetings with Haaland's representatives over the weeks and months ahead. There is a feeling that Real Madrid pose the biggest threat to City, but if the Spaniards manage to acquire Kylian Mbappe, it could dissuade Haaland from following suit.

• The title was changed to Erling Haaland - Man City Complete Signing of Dortmund Striker

Archived