talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Things You Hate To Admit

football forum

2 minutes ago, Toinho said:

We have that format. Makes for a cracking event at the end of the season and some epic playoff games but... it doesn’t fit right with me. 

Yeah I don't really think it's particularly fair when you've got a side like say Man City this year in England, who're running away with it and are clearly the best side in the country this season... but theoretically they might not end up as champions.

I think it makes sense doing that in the US (and I don't know if Australian sports usually decide champions like that, but if they do, then I think it's right to do it that way) because they're trying to make football more easily accessible to your average American sports viewer and that's typically how they decide their champions.

So personally, while I don't really like seeing champions decided in this way... I hate to admit that playoffs deciding champions makes a lot of sense when the sporting culture of that place has done that for a while and you're trying to make football more popular in that country.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah I don't really think it's particularly fair when you've got a side like say Man City this year in England, who're running away with it and are clearly the best side in the country this season... but theoretically they might not end up as champions.

I think it makes sense doing that in the US (and I don't know if Australian sports usually decide champions like that, but if they do, then I think it's right to do it that way) because they're trying to make football more easily accessible to your average American sports viewer and that's typically how they decide their champions.

So personally, while I don't really like seeing champions decided in this way... I hate to admit that playoffs deciding champions makes a lot of sense when the sporting culture of that place has done that for a while and you're trying to make football more popular in that country.

Yeah Aussie sports have the playoff system for finals. My side won the league two years ago but lost the grand final meaning we were only “minor premiers” ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, Toinho said:

Yeah Aussie sports have the playoff system for finals. My side won the league two years ago but lost the grand final meaning we were only “minor premiers” ridiculous. 

what sport

6 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Am I the only one who can't get over the fact Ronaldinho was basically just called "not a technical master?" And everyone stuck on the "well Neymar's not Peruvian" part of that argument?

No shit, Neymar's not Peruvian - he's Brazilian xD... I'm not having that Ronaldinho wasn't technically brilliant. The guy was as technically brilliant as they come.

If I'm reading it right it was more that Ronaldinho was technically brilliant, but also more of a team player (more typical of historical Brazil who have been well gelled teams).

Where Neymar whilst similarly technically brilliant is more of a selfish go for goal type of player (allegedly more typical of Peruvian/Chilean players).

18 minutes ago, Harry said:

If I'm reading it right it was more that Ronaldinho was technically brilliant, but also more of a team player (more typical of historical Brazil who have been well gelled teams).

Where Neymar whilst similarly technically brilliant is more of a selfish go for goal type of player (allegedly more typical of Peruvian/Chilean players).

No. He was saying that Ronaldhino relied on creativity and flair (Brazilian) and Neymar relies more on basic albeit high level technical skills (Chile/Peru)

I would like the traditional football league format if there was some parity between the sides. Having one or two clubs dominate almost all of the top leagues for decades doesn't sit right with me.

Specially that football is the most popular sport but centred around a handful of clubs. American sports have had like a dozen champions over the years. 

Brian is ok I've spoken to him. There were times when he was personally attacked on here by some people. Other times it was just misunderstanding. Sometimes he clearly doesn't understand certain things which I think is because of his aspergers. He simply cannot understand that there is different interpretations to what people say and that what tommy said the other day wasn't necessarily a comment about his mental health. Black and white thinking is very common with aspergers I think and its fair to say he thinks like that.

Archived