talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Renato Tapia Appreciation Thread

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May as well just start this now to stop posting it all around the forum xD

Elogios para Renato Tapia tras su gran performance en la victoria del Celta ante Alavés. Foto: captura Twitter

"Along with Casemiro, the best CM in La Liga. He's a beast"

Doing very very well. I do think Atletico is the best move for him with talk of Torreira leaving to South America.

Just now, DeadLinesman said:

Not really trying anything. Oh no, we haven’t signed some Peruvian nobody 9_9

You were trying, because anyone who's seen him knows he's been amongst the best CDM's in La Liga, and anyone who has at least heard of him would assume he's been the best given the praise he's been getting.

The likes of Mahrez and Vardy were nobodies too, everyone starts at the bottom xD

1 minute ago, Stan said:

I'm glad you have one location you can now bum Tapia with as opposed to everywhere else xD 

I mean, most of the time I don't even start it anymore haha. If I post Tapia praise on a thread, someone takes the piss elsewhere, haha

2 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

I genuinely couldn’t give a fuck about Tapia or getting a rise out of you. Genuinely, genuinely don’t care. 

Yes I realize that, but I also realize that you and many others will refuse to take my opinion seriously, even with proof. 

Just for the record, I didn't start this, but I was encouraged xD

23 minutes ago, Mpache said:

May as well just start this now to stop posting it all around the forum xD

Elogios para Renato Tapia tras su gran performance en la victoria del Celta ante Alavés. Foto: captura Twitter

"Along with Casemiro, the best CM in La Liga. He's a beast"

He said best defensive mid rather than centre mid, but I agree. He's a top player and is among the best 2 defensive mids in the Primera división.

The best centre mid in the league though would be De Jong. He's a beast and it seems as though he's often overlooked.

This season he's generally played in his natural position of centre mid but has also played in a more attacking role, as a holding mid and even as a defender. He can score, pass, score goals, his surging runs forward with the ball are fantastic and he's all over the pitch. In the next few years with experience, he's going to be the best mid in the world. In fact he already is one of them.

The best Dutch player in a while for me @Panna King.

1 minute ago, Carnivore Chris said:

He said best defensive mid rather than centre mid, but I agree. He's a top player and is among the best 2 defensive mids in the Primera división.

The best centre mid in the league though would be De Jong. He's a beast and it seems as though he's often overlooked.

This season he's generally played in his natural position of centre mid but has also played in a more attacking role, as a holding mid and even as a defender. He can score, pass, score goals, his surging runs forward with the ball are fantastic and he's all over the pitch. In the next few years with experience, he's going to be the best mid in the world. In fact he already is one of them.

The best Dutch player in a while for me @Panna King.

Yeah, I mistranslated. My bad.

I'm glad De Jong is doing well too, as Barcelona needed someone like him to step up.

Tapia was absolutely awful at Feyenoord, but the Dutch philosophy isn't for everyone. Riquelme didn't succeed with Van Gaal when they were at Barcelona but Juan Roman was a top player and proved it at VIllareal. I knew he had talent, as he showed it near the end of 2018 qualifying which showcased the best of him, which is what led to me saying he could end up at Barcelona or Real Madrid.

So I'm glad the best of him has shown at Celta, and I really think Atletico is the best jump he could make.

La Liga watchers describe him as a bit uneasy on the eye, but Peruvian Renato Tapia is a terrier of a defensive midfielder, snapping at the ankles of any opposition player who dares venture through the middle of the pitch. Playing for Celta Vigo, Tapia is a busy, if not always brilliant, player who makes a high volume of defensive actions (98 rating for disrupting opposition moves). If he put a boot in, said boot stays there (he has an 86 rating for defending intensity, along with the 11 yellow cards he’s earned from 26 La Liga appearances this season).

Although he does roam the pitch making tackles as best as he can (and his best is very good — he earned a tackle rating 98 out of 99, meaning he could be one of the best tacklers around), those tackles do not always guarantee possession for his side (his low defending impact rating of 21 suggests his tackles can be a little chaotic). In addition to this, his ball retention and attacking abilities are not the best.

Tapia gets the ball, passes it to someone more talented next to him and not much else. That’s not an issue if United can put a talented passer next to him (read: Pogba stays), but the Peruvian becomes a less viable option if he’s asked to make line-breaking passes against teams that sit deep (you don’t want to play him next to one of Fred/McTominay against Crystal Palace, for example). There is potential in Tapia, 25, working in a single pivot (Celta have used him there in a 4-1-3-2 shape for large chunks of the season) and Solskjaer flooding the field with passers to offset his limitations.

If Rice can be thought of as a deluxe McTominay, then Tapia could be a souped-up Fred. Good above the shoulders, sometimes erratic with the ball below it.

Just now, Mpache said:

I'm glad De Jong is doing well too, as Barcelona needed someone like him to step up.

Tapia was absolutely awful at Feyenoord, but the Dutch philosophy isn't for everyone. Riquelme didn't succeed with Van Gaal when they were at Barcelona but Juan Roman was a top player and proved it at VIllareal. I knew he had talent, as he showed it near the end of 2018 qualifying which showcased the best of him, which is what led to me saying he could end up at Barcelona or Real Madrid.

So I'm glad the best of him has shown at Celta, and I really think Atletico is the best jump he could make.

He's definitely an Atlético/Simeone type player. Saying that, I think Atlético need a change from El Cholo as his pragmatic style doesn't really get the best out of this current squad. 

1 hour ago, Mpache said:

I could see Tapia was class I said it all along!

1 minute ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Better hope he never goes to the premier league, he'll get shown up big time. 

Why?

Not saying he'd be a guaranteed success. He could flop just as any other player, but he's showing a very top level in a very high standard league. 

Archived