talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Celtic - Transfer Thread

football forum

One of many fridge players that will likely leave Celtic this summer. The likes of Christie, Allan and Ciftci will follow Ambrose out of the club and would be a good signing for any other Premiership team. Mackay-Steven must be a frustrating player to have in your team. He is a very talented winger but can be overawed in a physical matchup.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only positive factor is if Christie agrees to move in the other direction. He's not as good as Hayes but is seven years younger.

Maybe another fridge player thrown in would sweeten the deal further, but doesn't seem likely.

When I read about the speculation, I dismissed it out of hand. Really, this isn't the type of signing that Celtic should be making. He is a near 30 year old winger whose best attributes are his speed and dribbling, both likely to drop off in the next few years. Without disrespecting Hayes, who I have had the pleasure of watching for years, he isn't likely to make a huge difference in Celtic's biggest test and that is the Champions League.

7 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

@Happy Blue, seems City are willing to part with Roberts?

Id be very surprised if we sold him as Pep rates him highly, and why would we sell him for 6million when we paid 12million?? he would start at most premier league clubs and the players only getting better  ..if any truth to this we must have a buy back option like we do with Iheanacho so it's basically a fancy loan on tell we want him back. i would have him with our squad next season tbh, seems the Celtic fans love him

Celtic Fans Have Started A Campaign on Twitter to Persuade Patrick Roberts to Stay https://www.talkingbaws.com/2017/06/celtic-fans-started-campaign-twitter-persuade-patrick-roberts-stay/

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm not going to speak of him as a player, as I'm not familiar with him. But I do find it an odd signing.

He's 32 years old and ineligible to play in the Europa League. It's an awful amount of money to spend on someone of that age, who can't help them in their biggest games of the rest of the season.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't say I've seen alot of him but his performance against Dundee United, in a top of the table clash was brilliant. 

I hold out hope that he won't become another Scott Allan and sit in the reserves for any amount of time. Seems he is heading immediately back to St Mirren for the rest of the season, but the test will become the summer.

At only £300,000, seems surprising that no other club made a move for him. I suppose the wages offered are probably more than most clubs in Scotland could afford, but he'd be guaranteed first team football anywhere else. With the amount of money, Celtic can sweep up any promising young player across Scotland for the next few years. Basically, set themselves up as the Scottish equivalent of Bayern Munich.

Celtic are also linked with Dundee's Jack Hendry. He only just came back to Scotland in the summer, after never getting a look in at Wigan, but seems to have made a very good impression in his first half-season of regular first-team football. Celtic's weakest area of the team appears to be at centre back, so it seems a logical move. With Scotland's weakest area also at centre back, I for one hope that he continues to improve and could become good enough for international level.

Hopefully Hayes gets moved on next season and Morgan gets a decent number of minutes. Although I haven't watched much of him I'd definitely welcome mixing things up on the wings a bit in future. Sinclair has had patches of iffy form and the ability to bring in a technically neat youngster will be good. 

Archived