talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Real Madrid 3-1 Liverpool - Tuesday 6th April, 2021 (1st Leg)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

How often does Preston have to face anyone that's anywhere near as good as Real Madrid?

Schalke at least face Dortmund and Bayern Munich twice a season.

Neither are really ideal for this sort of opposition - although if we had a bit of presence in midfield I don't think we'd be putting these inexperienced defenders under so much pressure.

Yeah, it's worked recently because the midfield and full backs have protected the CBs really well. You can understand pre-match the thinking behind bringing Keita in but it's just broken everything that had been good about us in the last few games. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

How often does Preston have to face anyone that's anywhere near as good as Real Madrid?

Schalke at least face Dortmund and Bayern Munich twice a season.

Neither are really ideal for this sort of opposition - although if we had a bit of presence in midfield I don't think we'd be putting these inexperienced defenders under so much pressure.

Agree, Liverpool´s midfield has been non-existent but the forwards also have to do more on the pressing. They´ve given too much room and time to Kroos and he punished Liverpool with his long-range passing.

Salah, in special, needs to do a lot more defensively, Trent can´t cope alone with Mendy and Vinícius on his flank. 

1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

Yeah, it's worked recently because the midfield and full backs have protected the CBs really well. You can understand pre-match the thinking behind bringing Keita in but it's just broken everything that had been good about us in the last few games. 

Yeah I don't blame the thinking - especially as he's probably thinking he's playing a Keita that's going to be playing at his best... rather than going out there and looking well out of form.

Honestly, I'd be trying to play Fabinho (imo our best midfielder available now), Thiago (shite start to his season, but he's improving next to Fabinho and looking more than decent of late), and Curtis Jones as much as possible for the rest of the season. Try to get Thiago more bedded into how we play, get Jones some valuable experience, and keep our best midfielder keeping our midfield as strong as possible.

Probably easier said than done for Klopp. But fixing our midfield to adjust to our good defenders being out has really been an issue all season and we've got to be able to learn from this to be a better side overall when everyone is back. Because bad injuries can happen again.

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Should Alisson do better there? 

Definitely, yes. There were defenders in front of him, which limits his reaction time, but a top goalkeeper has to make that save. 

Anyway, really happy for Vini. He badly needed a big performance like this. He´s still only 20, the sky is the limit if he improves his finishing. 

Don’t think we will turn this one round. We are good with comebacks, but I can’t see Madrid not scoring at Anfield. Dead poor to concede that third goal, that one has really fucked us. 

Just now, LFCMike said:

Really poor. Lucky to get out of that at 3-1 if we're honest

I enjoyed about 10 minutes of that (the start of the second half)...

... but other than that we were rubbish. Madrid completely outclassed us

2 minutes ago, Rick said:

Don’t think we will turn this one round. We are good with comebacks, but I can’t see Madrid not scoring at Anfield. Dead poor to concede that third goal, that one has really fucked us. 

I'd be shocked if turn it around with no crowd and the issue at centre back. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived