talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Is Julian Nagelsmann Overrated?

Not saying his a bad manager but is he overrated as one. 
Manchester United crushed him 5:0 after some confident words (and wardrobe) on his part made him look rather foolish. 
liverpool, who were at the time, facing their crisis, swept him aside. 
bayern have yet to lose to his Leipzig side. 

Perhaps he will get his first trophy (pokal ) this year ....

• The title was changed to Is Julien Nagelsmann Overrated?
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's still pretty young for a manager (there are some players out there that are older than him, even) - so I think in many respects he's doing better than could be reasonably expected of a manager with just 4-5 years of experience.

I will say that I was pretty surprised when we faced them this season - around our lowest point in form in years and looking very vulnerable domestically - and as you say, we just swept Leipzig aside. Comfortable performances for us in both legs and tbh, I thought they looked a bit shit.

And they're obviously not a bit shit, because they're second in the Bundesliga so they've got to be a pretty decent side.

And maybe it's because he's not had much experience being expected to compete... but I do think there's perhaps a bit of a mentality issue. But also, I think a slight adjustment to their tactics could have gone a long way to knocking us out of the CL rather than make us look way better than them. A slightly more pragmatic approach could have been used to stifle us as many clubs in the league that don't have the quality Leipzig.

Getting passed big clubs in Europe - which I think United and us are... even when either club is shit does require having enough players that have the "big game mentality" as well as being tactically flexible so you can change up how you play in case a side is built in a way that would tear your normal setup apart (because I think that high line against us was suicidal).

As long as he's capable of learning from the mistakes he makes now, I think he's probably going to grow as a manager as a result.

He's 33 years old, and he's managing one of Germany's biggest clubs (unfortunately) on merit. He's even rumoured to be the next Bayern coach if Flick takes the German National team job. So na, I don't think he's overrated. 

He is a bit of an arrogant prat though. So him going to Bayern would be such a perfect fit. 

@mods Perhaps you could correct that spelling error in the threads title, please?

At topic, suggesting Nagelsmann were overrated, because Leipzig has yet to win against Bayern, in my opinion the best team in Europe recently, is as exaggerated  as suggesting all other English PL teams were utter shit because they're trailing Man City by 14 or more points.

13 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

@mods Perhaps you could correct that spelling error in the threads title, please?

At topic, suggesting Nagelsmann were overrated, because Leipzig has yet to win against Bayern, in my opinion the best team in Europe recently, is as exaggerated  as suggesting all other English PL teams were utter shit because they're trailing Man City by 14 or more points.

Agree with this.  To suggest he's overrated means you're placing Leipzig on equal footing with the clubs mentioned.  The teams that have "crushed Leipzig" have spent a combined 1 billion more on players than his team have, so let's be realistic.  They play attractive football and have players from the Dritte Liga in their squad.

12 hours ago, Coma said:

Agree with this.  To suggest he's overrated means you're placing Leipzig on equal footing with the clubs mentioned.  The teams that have "crushed Leipzig" have spent a combined 1 billion more on players than his team have, so let's be realistic.  They play attractive football and have players from the Dritte Liga in their squad.

But those billion dollar clubs lost to teams with a lighter payroll than Leipzig with “lesser “ rated managers too. 
To me, nagelsmann is missing that big game win. 

On 05/04/2021 at 17:57, Rucksackfranzose said:

Bayern weren’t the best till about 15 months ago  if u recall. But nagelsmann couldn’t take advantage of the opportunity 

On 05/04/2021 at 17:06, Spike said:

His team are consistently competitive and consistently raided by foreign clubs.

No doubt his teams are competitive. 
it’s a situation of whether it’s the players or the coach? Yes he gets raided for players but that means he’s got talent to work with. But just can’t get that big game win when it counts. 

2 minutes ago, The Käiser said:

Bayern weren’t the best till about 15 months ago  if u recall. But nagelsmann couldn’t take advantage of the opportunity 

Even if Bayern weren't the best in Europe until just over a year ago (and being the best in Europe for over a year is incredibly impressive tbh) - Bayern are always one of the best clubs in Europe at any given time imo. They're a side I think everyone always expects to be strong - and for good reason, for my entire life they've been an absolute powerhouse.

I do think being able to win in big moments and big games is what separates the good managers from the great managers. But again, he's 33 and compared to most other young managers I think he's doing an incredibly good job.

I think it's hard to call him overrated. And I hate the club he works for.

11 hours ago, The Käiser said:

I suspect that he'll be the next Bayern coach, so it'll be the old "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" :D

28 minutes ago, The Käiser said:

If he doesn’t win it, is it a major failure?

Can't see something bad in red shite failing to win trophies. But apart from that- whilst winning a major trophy is a great is always a success, wouldn't not doing so necessarily call a failure. 

2 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Can't see something bad in red shite failing to win trophies. But apart from that- whilst winning a major trophy is a great is always a success, wouldn't not doing so necessarily call a failure. 

Guess my question is would that change opinion of nagelsmann as a manager. 

2 minutes ago, The Käiser said:

Guess my question is would that change opinion of nagelsmann as a manager. 

Depends on how RB Leipzig would lose the cup. Being the second best on a specific matchday can always happen and wouldn't, e.g. my opinion on Flick didn't change because Bayern lost to Holstein Kiel in cup round 2. RB losing because Nagelsmann made questionable decisions before or during said match could change my reception, though.

22 hours ago, The Käiser said:

If he doesn’t win it, is it a major failure?

Given that he'll be potentially going up against Dortmund in a down year, I'd expect them to be the favorites to win the cup.  So yes, I'd call it a failure if they didn't win it at this point.  No offense to Bremen or Kiel fans.

On 12/04/2021 at 23:34, Coma said:

Given that he'll be potentially going up against Dortmund in a down year, I'd expect them to be the favorites to win the cup.  So yes, I'd call it a failure if they didn't win it at this point.  No offense to Bremen or Kiel fans.

WTF you talking about we're clearly favorites. We're just saving our best football for the cup

On 15/04/2021 at 17:59, Devil-Dick Willie said:

WTF you talking about we're clearly favorites. We're just saving our best football for the cup

Yes, that display on Sunday clearly had me fooled.

Once again all the Bundesliga pretenders fall away.  I was sure Bayern would struggle this year considering the poor off-season recruitment they had. 

There's talk in England that Tottenham (Super League club) want Nagelsmann.  I don't see him going to England.

Archived