The better place to talk football.

Derby County Never Ending Administration Thread Has Now Ended

football forum

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
2 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Articles mentioning that Derby could be expelled if they don't provide proof of funds by the beginning of February.

Didn't know Middlesbrough and Wycombe were in a legal battle with Derby as well 

Not sure about Middlesbrough but Wycombe presumably because they got relegated shortly before Derby were given their points deduction, whereas if the deduction happened before end of the season (which it could have), then Wycombe would still be in the Championship. 

Middlesbrough's arguement is that if Derby County had submitted accounts on time during the 2018/19 season they would have received a points deduction which would have meant Middlesbrough would have made the playoffs.

Derby County's counter arguement is that you could say the same about QPR the year they beat them in the playoff final.

Mel Morris could resolve this by accepting any liabilities that occur during his tenure but I wouldn't hold my breath.

On 17/01/2022 at 20:05, The Palace Fan said:

Middlesbrough's arguement is that if Derby County had submitted accounts on time during the 2018/19 season they would have received a points deduction which would have meant Middlesbrough would have made the playoffs.

Derby County's counter arguement is that you could say the same about QPR the year they beat them in the playoff final.

Mel Morris could resolve this by accepting any liabilities that occur during his tenure but I wouldn't hold my breath.

In addition, Middlesbrough sold Ben Gibson, Adama Traore and Patrick Bamford for a combined total of just under £45m in order to balance the books for FFP  whilst Derby continuously spent what they wanted.

For that reason, I don't blame Steve Gibson for fighting this all the way.

• Subscriber

Derby County: EFL extends deadline for administrators to provide proof of funding

Derby County's administrators have been given an extra month to provide proof of how the Championship club will be funded for the rest of the season.

The English Football League originally asked administrators Quantuma to provide details by 1 February.

But that date has now been pushed back until the beginning of March to allow further talks with potential buyers.

Derby have been in administration since September and remain in the relegation zone, eight points from safety.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60146360

At this point, it's starting to become difficult to see how they don't manage to stay up given how inept Reading and Peterborough are. I mean, 21 points headstart and Derby are only 4pts behind Reading now. Games in hand for others yes, but still fancy Derby to survive.

Now don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for Rooney and what he's had to contend with, and he really has done an amazing job to this point.

I don't want to see the club fold either, despite the financial cluster fuck's of Mel Morris.

However, if they stay up, it will be celebrated across the media as a 'great escape' when the reality for me is that justice would only have been served if they are relegated.

This will sound very bitter towards Derby but to escape the points last year at the expense of Wycombe was one thing, to do it this year because of how inept others around are is another. 

Ultimately, that still may happen. But at the moment, you'd not back against them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/02/2022 at 12:49, Lucas said:

At this point, it's starting to become difficult to see how they don't manage to stay up given how inept Reading and Peterborough are. I mean, 21 points headstart and Derby are only 4pts behind Reading now. Games in hand for others yes, but still fancy Derby to survive.

Now don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for Rooney and what he's had to contend with, and he really has done an amazing job to this point.

I don't want to see the club fold either, despite the financial cluster fuck's of Mel Morris.

However, if they stay up, it will be celebrated across the media as a 'great escape' when the reality for me is that justice would only have been served if they are relegated.

This will sound very bitter towards Derby but to escape the points last year at the expense of Wycombe was one thing, to do it this year because of how inept others around are is another. 

Ultimately, that still may happen. But at the moment, you'd not back against them.

If they had deferred the latest round of points deductions to next season I would have understood your rationale, but its 21 points! 

If you think the only justice is relegation for breaching FFP rules I presume you share the same energy for Leicester, Bournemouth and Aston Villa who all would have been in real trouble if they didnt escape from The Championship when they did.

4 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

If they had deferred the latest round of points deductions to next season I would have understood your rationale, but its 21 points! 

If you think the only justice is relegation for breaching FFP rules I presume you share the same energy for Leicester, Bournemouth and Aston Villa who all would have been in real trouble if they didnt escape from The Championship when they did.

Absolutely I do.

I'm actually quite irked about the position Villa find themselves in, especially as we were on a level playing field with them and now find ourselves 2 years behind and financially inferior.

Extremely fortunate to go up through the playoffs when they did because at one stage, the talk was they had to flog Grealish just to stay alive and instead, in a click of a finger they ended up being able to bring in big players to help them up.

Now they have the luxury of spending between £300-£400m on a new squad and arguably still underachieving.

They were extremely lucky to get away with that potential shit storm as were Leicester also, that you mention.

When I think of the Luton Town's and teams like that, they have taken an absolute battering and come back well. And I think of someone like Wycombe who I still believe were unlucky to suffer last season at the expense of Derby.

Don't get me wrong, minus 21 is hefty, but if it doesn't ultimately end in relegation it would have been fruitless in my eyes because they'll have got away with the price relegation does to you.

If there is justice, we'll wait and see what happens at the end of the season.

18 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60586387

No doubt the EFL will give them extra time once again, despite hearing nothing for 48 hours so far.

I think, from what I've read, there are two sides here.

Quantuma, the Derby Administartors, are basically saying when there is something to say, we'll say it. Ultimately I think they are also indicating, they don't trust the EFL not to leak information to the media. In fairness, the EFL is a diabolical organistation, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was corrupt.

Problem is this is starting to put a few noses out of joint now of those who followed the cases of Bury and Macclesfield considering time was a luxury they were not given, nor any leeway. 

The first deadline for Derby was to prove they had funds, of which, they got a loan. The second deadline was for the exact same reason, again with the use of a loan.

That's fine whilst a takeover is in progress but why is it taking so long? It's a fair question to ask clarification on. Are the buyers genuine or are they drawing it out to see what happens at the end of the season? Because you cannot just keep clocking in each month proving your running a club on loans alone.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Derby County: Chris Kirchner's takeover of financially-stricken club expected to collapse

Chris Kirchner's attempt to buy financially-stricken club Derby County is expected to collapse.

The American businessman was named as preferred bidder to take the club out of administration on 6 April.

BBC Radio Derby report that Kirchner has failed to close the deal, despite having his period as preferred bidder extended twice.

It is also understood that funds promised by the 34-year-old to pay Derby wages for May have not arrived.

The English Football League conditionally approved the takeover when contracts for the sale of the club had been exchanged on 17 May.

At the time, the EFL said "the terms of a Membership Agreement" had been agreed with the American's 9CK Sports Holdings Limited company to allow the sale of the club.

Derby's administrators Quantuma had said the takeover was conditional on the sale of Derby's Pride Park home ground, which is still owned by former majority shareholder Mel Morris.

Meetings between Kircher, his representatives, Morris and Derby City Council, who have said they were exploring options to buy the ground, have failed to resolve the issue.

If the deal does fall through, it will be the second time an attempt by Kirchner to buy the club has failed.

An initial bid was withdrawn in December before the American revived his interest in April after an attempt to buy Derby's then-Championship rivals Preston North End collapsed just days earlier.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61729900

• Subscriber

Derby County: Chris Kirchner fails to meet takeover deadline for League One club

Businessman Chris Kirchner has failed to meet a deadline to prove he has the funds to complete a takeover of Derby County, administrators have confirmed.

The Rams have been in administration since September 2021 and Kirchner was named as preferred bidder on 6 April.

Friday's 17:00 BST deadline has now passed and administrators Quantuma are talking to "other interested parties".

The English Football League has called for clarification of "how they plan to take the club out of administration".

FULL REPORT

2 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

EFL will apparently become closely involved with Derby's sale.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61776756

Nice to see the EFL so desperate to help Derby but happily let the likes of Bury to get fucked.

No, that's not the case here at all mate, I think you may have misinterpreted it.

Basically, the EFL are actually fed up of Derby constantly reassuring them that a takeover was going through and feeding them bollocks whilst there was no written proof to back up what Derby have been saying.

Given the fixtures are released soon and the season starts early, they want to be clear and understanding before the season starts on Derby's position so they don't have to amend things once the season has started.

I think in the best possible way, they are trying to give Derby a polite kick up the backside and dont want to be seen as just constantly giving points deductions etc. Derby obviously feel from their perspective the EFL are against them all the time for all the penalisations they have faced. 

Derby really need to sort their shit out. At this point the 'interested parties' are simply dicking them about and just wasting their time. There needs to be solid proof if anyone wants to buy them or the administrators shoudn't allow the discussions to get so deep.

35 minutes ago, Lucas said:

No, that's not the case here at all mate, I think you may have misinterpreted it.

Basically, the EFL are actually fed up of Derby constantly reassuring them that a takeover was going through and feeding them bollocks whilst there was no written proof to back up what Derby have been saying.

Given the fixtures are released soon and the season starts early, they want to be clear and understanding before the season starts on Derby's position so they don't have to amend things once the season has started.

I think in the best possible way, they are trying to give Derby a polite kick up the backside and dont want to be seen as just constantly giving points deductions etc. Derby obviously feel from their perspective the EFL are against them all the time for all the penalisations they have faced. 

Derby really need to sort their shit out. At this point the 'interested parties' are simply dicking them about and just wasting their time. There needs to be solid proof if anyone wants to buy them or the administrators shoudn't allow the discussions to get so deep.

Fair enough. Just looks like that they're desperate to help one club out more than others looking from the outside.

31 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Fair enough. Just looks like that they're desperate to help one club out more than others looking from the outside.

They definitely could have done more to help Bury for sure.

• Subscriber

Derby County: Chris Kirchner withdraws bid to buy League One side

Chris Kirchner has withdrawn his bid to buy League One side Derby County.

BBC Sport has been told Kirchner took the decision due to the difficulty he has had transferring funds to the UK.

Derby's administrators had given the American a deadline of 10 June to complete the deal and are now talking to other parties to find a buyer.

FULL REPORT

• The title was changed to Derby County Never Ending Administration Thread Has Now Ended

Archived