Derby County Never Ending Administration Thread Has Now Ended

football forum

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Phillip Cocu: Derby County sack manager with the club bottom of Championship

Derby County has sacked manager Phillip Cocu with the club bottom of the Championship.

The Rams have won just one of their first 11 league matches this season and lost their last league game 2-0 at home to Barnsley.

Former Barcelona and Netherlands midfielder Cocu, 50, took charge at Pride Park in July 2019.

His assistants Chris van der Weerden and Twan Scheepers have also left the club by mutual agreement.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54945552

Long overdue this, it just wasn't working out for Cocu.

What I would say though is, out of all the Derby managers in recent times, he has been the one that's not been as backed as the others.

Not only that, he's had to put up with the drink drive incident with his players which must have had a massive bearing on the atmosphere internally.

But regardless of that, there is no way that squad should be where they are.

Seeing as Derby are on the brink of new owners, it'll be interesting to see how big a name they want in charge. Surely too big a risk to go Rooney.

Personally, I'd go Eddie Howe. I think if he was offered it with the promise of financial backing in January onwards, he'd snap it up.

I'm not sure that Rooney is an upgrade on Cocu, however, if the Abu Dhabi royal does take over Derby County, then the future could be pretty bright for them. I'm sure that Cocu would have wished that they owned the club when he was first hired at Derby.

• Subscriber

Cocu and his 'cocuball' (lol cringe) really do have work to do.

His last 2 jobs in particular have been an absolute disaster. 

I think the new owners will want to keep Rooney in some form, mainly because of just his name and media attention.

• 1 month later...

Rooney retiring. Such a talented player, it sounds absurd for someone who won so much but it almost feels as if he didn't burn as bright as we thought he would. Those first seasons at Everton and Manchester United were incredible, but if it felt as if after Ronaldo eclipsed him 07/08 he was always the lesser light. Even after Ronaldo left and he scored loads it felt his best years were gone.

Let’s be honest there was Wayne Rooney and then there was the player he turned into after that second row with Fergie wanting to leave. He started playing high level football at 16 but for his career as a purely world class, best of the best type player ended when he was 27-29ish.

Does make you wonder how that occurs, for reference Rooney is the same age as Ronaldo.

12 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

For years Derby County fans have been gloating about how Mel Morris has every other team on strings but I'm starting to wonder if he's had Derby County fans on strings all along. Every season stuff seems to happen with Derby that is just bizarre and laughable.

I agree.

They laughed their heads off with the Rooney deal and 32Red subsidising some of it and when they had got away with the points deduction for the shambles behaviour with the ground.

It's awfully quiet now. If it wasn't for the fact Wycombe were in the Championship, they would be in the mud this season.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator
19 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

So the guy doesn't actually have any money...

It really doesn't surprise me. Is the 'fit and proper' test still in use for EFL?

• The title was changed to Derby County Enter Administration
  • The title was changed to Derby County Never Ending Administration Thread Has Now Ended

Archived