Morecambe vs Scunthorpe, 18.30
Newport vs Carlisle, 19.00
Salford vs Bolton, 19.00
Walsall vs Tranmere, 19.00

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lucas said:

Yeah, that's 2nd tied up now. What a let down the chasing pack have been.

Kinda hope Barnsley do it in the Playoffs now as the underdog. Would be a great story.

I think as soon as they start performing to the levels they have in that team it’s a no contest.

Barnsley would be a great story, will probably beat us in the play-offs if we get them (if we make the play-offs)

12 hours ago, Danny said:

I think as soon as they start performing to the levels they have in that team it’s a no contest.

Barnsley would be a great story, will probably beat us in the play-offs if we get them (if we make the play-offs)

What would that mean for Thomas Frank? 

I was surprised when Barnsley appointed Valerin Ismail they mentioned they have a database for managers to ensure that any transition would be effective in an unexpected scenario. I imagine Brentford would have something similar?

20 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

What would that mean for Thomas Frank? 

I was surprised when Barnsley appointed Valerin Ismail they mentioned they have a database for managers to ensure that any transition would be effective in an unexpected scenario. I imagine Brentford would have something similar?

I would imagine most clubs would? Standard protocol for us, if Frank left it wouldnt surprise me if his assistant Brian Reimer was to take over. I don’t think its just players that we’re looking to produce.

But regarding Frank I don’t know, there are arguments for and against for this season. We didn’t replace Benrahma’s influence on the team; Fosu, Canos, Ghoddos and Mbeumo just haven’t been up to task this season and whilst as a collective alongside Toney we have more than matched last seasons goal scoring exploits, it has largely been down to the fact Toney has been a goal machine.

We’ve also suffered big injuries all season, Norgaard spent most of it injured. Jansson was out since December and has only just returned, Rico Henry is out for 2 months and Josh Dasilva has had about a month out alongside Henry. The team has been stop and start all season and we’ve just not been able to consistently play our strongest eleven. Frank done well to get the unbeaten run and the points total that gave us to boost us into the automatics, but that seemed to be us punching above our weight.

The downside to Frank this season has been his inability to change tactics and the game against Barnsley really kicked it off. We struggle against teams that press high with wing backs, countless times now teams have adjusted their game plan to press us high and it has worked for them. Time and time again we have gone out in the exact same shape, exact same game plan, exact same type of subs made roughly at the exact same time. So predictable. And I get partially what’s happening, Frank is similar to Klopp and Guardiola in that they create a system for a team to perform at its optimum peak, they don’t necessarily do well at tinkering in game or changing things up for different opponents. System managers, and that is what Frank is. So I get him sticking with the system because it did get us a 21 game unbeaten run, but at the same time, we are so predictable, for example almost every team in this division have worked out how to use the 5 sub rule, a large number of subs at once to overload the opposition with fresh legs. Yet we don’t do that, we make the same subs. Swap a winger for a winger, a centre mid for a centre mid and then if we’re really struggling Marcus Forss gets the odd minute.

So it depends on how the owner views this season and this team, apparently and I assume this is wages inclusive, we are midtable in terms of money spent on a team in the Championship. So we are technically punching above our weight if true, and even though we’ve lost or drawn games we shouldn’t have, our xG suggested we should have won. But the problem is whilst we create chances that xG says we should win, our performances have been so up and down and we have been consistently outplayed or nullified but this is never really addressed by Thomas Frank. Just goes back to the team show a strong desire to win and the chances are there. So I don’t know.

Im not really Frank out, he’s definitely capable of managing in the Prem and if he had the squad definitely capable of managing a side that storms promotion. But when the margins between us losing and winning are small, we tend to lose under him, and unless we put together a really great Championship that stays fit side I’m not sure he’ll be the man for job in future.

We look like a brand new team, absolutely dominated Preston today. The fans have been screaming for a change in formation for ages, it has been far too delayed and the delay has cost us points, but I’m glad to see Frank has committed to it because it’s working really well.

See how we do with consistency but the quality of our play gives me hope with our run in now

• Subscriber
On 10/04/2021 at 20:29, Stan said:

@Pyfish heard one of your players head-butted his own team-mate and got sent off xD 

Yes. Complete idiot. Not expecting him to be around much longer. Was brought it in January but just hasn't looked up to it. I know there's a lot of pressure being bottom of the Football League but you don't do a Kieron Dyer/Lee Bowyer.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived