• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Automated Offside Decisions

football forum

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

To be honest, much as it would be a shame to alleviate the need for linesmen, I'd sooner this than the total shambles we have at the minute, the 2 minutes of geometry at goals.

17 minutes ago, Danny said:

How does it actually work? How does the system work out an offside call?

Linesman's watch will buzz or light up if anyone is offside. They'd still have to then judge the timing. 

It would at least avoid situations where someone is miles off but we play on for VAR to confirm.

8 minutes ago, SkyBruce Championship said:

Linesman's watch will buzz or light up if anyone is offside. They'd still have to then judge the timing. 

It would at least avoid situations where someone is miles off but we play on for VAR to confirm.

No I mean how do they know if it’s offside? What is the automation that Mr. Wenger speak off

7 minutes ago, Danny said:

No I mean how do they know if it’s offside? What is the automation that Mr. Wenger speak off

i imagine it is the same technology that has been used in garages for 40 years that open and close when you move through the sensor

1 hour ago, Danny said:

Limb-tracking, essentially. Overlay a model of the player(s) and measure who's closest to the goal line. Apparently they can tell when the ball's been kicked as well, but that would be dependent on camera angle (as demonstrated in the image)

r777424_2_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=570&format

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/fifa-world-cup/story/4237186/fifas-semi-automated-offside-var-tech-to-go-into-development-in-2021

4 hours ago, ScoRoss said:
Would at least take out the majority of the current delays with VAR. But whether it would be as controversial, with someone's toe being offside or not...

No one is actually bothered by close offsides (no one worth listening to, anyway), it's the time taken to determine them and the fact that there's little confidence in the officials to measure it correctly anyway. This solves the time taken issue, but does it solve the accuracy one? Perception is important here as well; as we've seen countless times with VAR arguments, it doesn't matter if the decision is correct, it has to look right. Do people trust this programme to get it right every time? I'd say probably not.

You can always introduce benefit of the doubt though, and in some ways this tech makes that easier. You can, for instance, measure two frames like this and compare results. Couldn't do that before. Would take too long. You could even do what they do in the Netherlands where you stay with the on-field decision if the lines overlap. You can do that already, but it's more palatable to say "yeah, don't know, umpire's call" if you haven't just stopped the game for 5 minutes while you work it out.

One of the reasons people are so accepting of umpire's call in cricket is because it's a computer programme. Obviously you can't 100% know whether the ball was going to hit the stumps, so defer to the umpire. Could have the same thing here. "Computer says it's too close; go with the linesman".

I'm excited by this. I maintain there's a need for VAR in football, but clearly there are problems with its implementation, and this has the potential to solve one of the biggest.

That said, every other idea Wenger's come up with since joining FIFA has been enough to make Wile E Coyote cringe, so let's wait and see how this turns out.

• Subscriber

If you can make offsides a situation where it's almost like goal-line technology, if anything, even better, then I think I'd be behind that.

Goal line technology works because it takes about 2/3 seconds to make a decision during a moment where those watching are 50/50 whether the ball has gone in or not anyway.

What you currently have is a situation where the 'moment', the spontaneous moment of a goal going in, is being replaced by anything from 20 seconds to even 2/3 minutes of looking at lines and completely spoiling the moment. I just don't think that's a situation that does the long-term health of the sport any good. You cannot taint the best moments.

If you can actually make it so that offside is decided very quickly and easily then that's unquestionably a step forward - where you should in theory get the right decision, and still maintain the 'moment'.

• 7 months later...
4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Good job it's just a trial then. And it can be improved for bigger tournaments.

Definitely, but still not very encouraging because it's meant to be AI assisted... so the officials shouldn't just rubber stamp the AI's decision.

I think it should be in a trial period for over a year before a World Cup, tbh. We've seen how long it's taken some places to get to grips with VAR and while I think it's taken time and is still pretty far from perfect, it's definitely better today than it was say 3 years ago.

Trying new things out and rushing to have the next world cup with the "latest and greatest" in technology is all well and good, but I'd prefer to have officials that are significantly more familiar with the tech and overturning decisions well before a big tournament.

I think whatever you do fans will still complain. If you had a super computer that refereed it with 100% accuracy  they would still moan. I mean Chelsea's goal in the cup final was offside and people complained it was only just offside. Some fans just love to moan 

Archived