talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Prince Philip Dies Aged 99

football forum

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Stan said:

Why would people complain to the BBC about that? 

I'm talking about ITV & BBC.

What you said earlier is true, the likes of the BBC have alternative stations but they put events like this on all channels, ITV have alternative channels too and they do the same, saying all that the wife loves her soap operas like EastEnders etc but she did not complain when they scrapped them as she is a Royalist, I loved it as we watched Amazon & Netflix films instead. :D

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, LFCMike said:

They have a 24 hour news channel that is available on Freeview. Why does it need to take up any programming time outside the usual midday and evening news programs?

Is bbc news on freeview is it? Does everyone have at least freeview now? I've got virgin media so I don't know

26 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Is bbc news on freeview is it? Does everyone have at least freeview now? I've got virgin media so I don't know

Yes and the switch to Freeview happened about 10 years ago I think

• Subscriber

Didn't know the man, nor do I have anything against him, there have been some pretty amusing clips of him doing the rounds. None of the "gaffes", just a fairly endearing bloke and some well-executed posh British humour. I'm not a royalist but I do have sympathy for the majority of the royal family as individuals (apart from Andrew) and the bottom line here is that a woman has lost her companion of 70+ years, so that's very sad. Rest in peace to him and sympathy to the family.

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Stan said:

Let's be fair though, Philip had a lifetime of being by the Queen's side and is a royal who has set up and contributed to hundreds of charities. 

It doesn't surprise me the coverage it got. It's the Queen's husband. What did annoy me and what's understandable about the complaints is why did BBC need to fill both mainstream channels with the same things. For all day and into the night, too. One channel I can understand but both I don't think was right. Made no sense. They even suspended BBC Four which again didn't make sense. 

Couldn't the soap lovers try reading a book or watch an documentary?

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

On our Virgin tv package, we have BBC 601 which is a 24 hour BBC News channel and we also have BBC1, when they broadcasted his death it was on BBC 1, 2 & the BBC 601 channels. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

On our Virgin tv package, we have BBC 601 which is a 24 hour BBC News channel and we also have BBC1, when they broadcasted his death it was on BBC 1, 2 & the BBC 601 channels. 

Was it on BBC Three? 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

Was it on BBC Three? 

Can't see BBC 3 on our Virgin channels but we have a BBC 4 (channel 107) which comes on at certain times, atm it says not on, will be back later, we also have BBC Scotland (channel 108). 

But what you said about the BBC is true, they had it broadcasted on all the ones I mentioned at the same time which is ridiculous, ITV was just as bad as we have ITV 102, ITV 3,115, 116,117 not to mention channel 4 & 5 and they ALL had it broadcasted if I remembered right, we know it was a big story with his death but why have it all on the same channels at the same time?

Many a time they have cancelled the likes of EastEnders, Coronation, Emmerdale etc because there was a live football match on and the wife would do her nut and say "Why don't they show the match live on one of the other channels they have...".  xD

Always fascinated by people who live that long without losing their marbles. 

The three standout features of Philip as far as we know are that being a royal is clearly not a difficult job, luxury lifestyle with fine foods and a stiff upper lip character.

• Subscriber
Just now, SkyBruce Championship said:

Always fascinated by people who live that long without losing their marbles. 

The three standout features of Philip as far as we know are that being a royal is clearly not a difficult job, luxury lifestyle with fine foods and a stiff upper lip character.

As I mentioned I am not a Royalist but the only members of the Royal family I admired was Philip and Princess Anne, they were both outspoken and could not give a shit who they offended and spoke their minds, I remembered Anne when she was a guest on BBC's Question of Sport and she was sitting next to the late Liverpools Emlyn Hughes and he tried to crack a joke with her about something and she whacked him a shot with her handbag, classic, me and the wife laughed our socks off with Emlyn covering his face yelling being hit by her handbag. :4_joy:

Prince Philip was just 2 months short of his 100th birthday before he died. That's just rotten luck having made it that far. :S

On a serious note, it's sad that he has passed away. Despite some of the non PC things that he said in the past, he did do a lot of good charity wise. As a prominent royal who has been around for so long, I do believe that he deserved the coverage that he got. 

R.I.P. Prince Philip

Archived