talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tottenham 1-3 Man Utd - Sunday 11th April, 2021

football forum

Someone just reminded me that a couple of years ago Mourinho wanted Man United to sign Danny Rose, the player who he has now entirely frozen out at Spurs, to replace Luke Shaw, who is probably the best performing LB in the league at the moment. 

It's worrying that his transfer wishes seem to be so bound-up in the hype of the moment, rather than a deep assessment of a player's qualities and potential. Especially when he himself can be the reason why a player in his squad seems to be so out of sorts. 

I'm sure Danny Rose was in better form at the time Mourinho wanted him, but was there ever any reason to think that Danny Rose is fundamentally leaps ahead of Luke Shaw?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Someone just reminded me that a couple of years ago Mourinho wanted Man United to sign Danny Rose, the player who he has now entirely frozen out at Spurs, to replace Luke Shaw, who is probably the best performing LB in the league at the moment. 

It's worrying that his transfer wishes seem to be so bound-up in the hype of the moment, rather than a deep assessment of a player's qualities and potential. Especially when he himself can be the reason why a player in his squad seems to be so out of sorts. 

I'm sure Danny Rose was in better form at the time Mourinho wanted him, but was there ever any reason to think that Danny Rose is fundamentally leaps ahead of Luke Shaw?

Peak Danny Rose was better than Shaw, Shaw is doing great at the moment but that Poch side relied so heavily on Rose and Walker, Shaw wouldn’t be able to do the job Rose did. Rose fell off because he fell out of love with the game/got injured, not because of ability

4 minutes ago, Danny said:

Peak Danny Rose was better than Shaw, Shaw is doing great at the moment but that Poch side relied so heavily on Rose and Walker, Shaw wouldn’t be able to do the job Rose did. Rose fell off because he fell out of love with the game/got injured, not because of ability

But you could likewise say Shaw's fall from favour was sparked by injury and a dip in confidence. It was always clear that Shaw had a lot of raw ability. I think looking at both players, in terms of their physical and technical qualities at their respective peaks, they're not that far off each other. 

To me, a manager should mainly think - "how good is this player, if I can do some work with them and play to their strengths?".  They shouldn't think "my guy is out of form, out of confidence, so I'll bin him and go buy a player with an overall similar profile who is already playing well".

19 minutes ago, Danny said:

No way was a peak Rose better than Shaw, Luke has had major fitness issues and lifestyle issues. His football ability has never been in doubt, he's technically fantastic but lacked either the appetite or drive to push on and be a top pro. 

I believe he's settled down and is enjoying being a young father, this is the reason I think he's improved. Previously he lived with three of his friends, he didn't eat correctly and he was going out too often. 

I just think he's living a professional life now. 

• Subscriber
32 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Mourinho wanted Man United to sign Danny Rose, the player who he has now entirely frozen out at Spurs, to replace Luke Shaw, who is probably the best performing LB in the league at the moment. 

Jose was a prick and if he did not like a player then he would do his best to get rid of whoever, he had it in for Shaw saying he was overweight etc and did not give the guy a chance after coming back from a broken leg.

Not that I like Pogba but when he stood up to Jose once in a match (can't remember what game it was?) Jose suddenly froze Pogba out, Jose is crucifying Kane and others atm telling them to play his way, if not then Jose will try to do his normal routine and freeze the guy(s) out, @Storts is better qualified in answering this than me but Kane & Dele Alli were a class act under Poch, Jose has frozen Alli out now.

1 hour ago, Inverted said:

But you could likewise say Shaw's fall from favour was sparked by injury and a dip in confidence. It was always clear that Shaw had a lot of raw ability. I think looking at both players, in terms of their physical and technical qualities at their respective peaks, they're not that far off each other. 

To me, a manager should mainly think - "how good is this player, if I can do some work with them and play to their strengths?".  They shouldn't think "my guy is out of form, out of confidence, so I'll bin him and go buy a player with an overall similar profile who is already playing well".

Not disagreeing that Shaw has had injury problems, but the reason Danny Rose ended up at Newcastle was partly because of injuries, partly due to not getting the big move he was after, partly due to racist abuse turning him off the game.

Shaw will probably end up having a longer career at the top level, but at this point in time for me Danny Rose was better.

Real question is why could Mourinho not motivate him but Ole can, other than constantly calling him out for being fat. Shaw would have taken some coaching and an arm round the shoulder, which Mourinho is not exactly famous for, Rose would have been ready to go.

• The topic was unpinned

Does Son cheat a lot?  I don't have all the facts but I heard he was down for a few minutes. It is possible he caught him near the eye or something. 

3 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Does Son cheat a lot?  I don't have all the facts but I heard he was down for a few minutes. It is possible he caught him near the eye or something. 

His eye seemed to be ok when he knocked in a goal minutes later?

3 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Arsenal players and fans certainly thought so when he went down with no contact to win a penalty against them in December 2018.

Son does have a reputation for diving, but in all fairness most attacking players do. Its the old problem, if you don't go down, you don't get the call.

5 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Does Son cheat a lot?

Every team has players that go down in the most dramatic fashion even under the slightest touch, it's how the game is played these days, I don't like to see it but sadly it's very much part of the way the game is, Some players more than others have a reputation for diving and rolling around as though they have been shot but then seconds later are up and about moving around perfectly fine the next.. 

You probably get at least one player per side, per match that has a roll around clutching his face, stomach, leg or whatever at some point... Worse thing is they don't care and nobody cares to do anything about it and as long as that continues then the silliness will continue.. 

On 11/04/2021 at 21:42, Whiskey said:

Just more reasons why Son is one of the most detestable players around at the moment - this social media hype around him being a nice guy is utter bollocks. 

It seems like every day there's some VAR bullshit but that's probably the worst I've seen. Never a foul in a million years. 

He might be a bitch on the pitch but off the pitch he is a very nice guy

Archived