talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Harry Kane - Striker Says He's Staying at Spurs

football forum

13 hours ago, Storts said:

Daniel Levy has absolutely rattled Pep and it’s glorious.

So much respect for him standing his ground. This is good for football 

Kane is unsettled though, bet he wants us to come back for him, maybe January if we don't get a striker soon :35_thinking:

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Caught BBC Football Focus and the irrepressible Lawrenson.

He couldn't understand why City had not bought Kane, 'they are basically a sovereign nation surely they can afford Kane!'

Then it dawned on me, the religious angle the backers of a wealth fund in a Muslim nation dealing with Levy a Jewish club executive won't mix. At £175m they see it through the religious prism.

Of course in the UK this is seen as standard practice by Spurs yet perhaps City's backers see it differently and English football is the loser.  

2 hours ago, Waylander said:

Caught BBC Football Focus and the irrepressible Lawrenson.

He couldn't understand why City had not bought Kane, 'they are basically a sovereign nation surely they can afford Kane!'

Then it dawned on me, the religious angle the backers of a wealth fund in a Muslim nation dealing with Levy a Jewish club executive won't mix. At £175m they see it through the religious prism.

Of course in the UK this is seen as standard practice by Spurs yet perhaps City's backers see it differently and English football is the loser.  

I would be very disheartened if this was viewed for a religious lenses, rather than a standard business practice in football. I wouldn't be surprised if maybe City (or even Levy himself) maybe viewed things through religious tinted glasses... but I hope if they did they thought "nah I shouldn't think like that about this."

Because on the face of it if you remove any religious stuff from this... Spurs have a valuable asset, City want to buy that asset, Spurs have set a price and aren't willing to budge on the price, City don't meet that price.

Spurs aren't obligated to meet City somewhere in the middle when they don't want to sell. Even if the player has made the move and publicly said they want to make the move - especially if the player hasn't put a transfer request in (which he didn't want to do, because he wants to collect a "loyalty bonus" if there's an eventual transfer, and you don't get that if you submit a transfer request).

I think Levy's done what anyone in his shoes should have done. With 3 years left on Kane's deal, he has all of the leverage in his hands - especially if Kane's not willing to submit a transfer request.

I certainly don't think English football is the loser when a club like Spurs refuses to sell a player for a price they don't want to sell. In fact, I think there's something to be said about how it might generally be better for the league if Kane is at Spurs this season rather than as another member (probably one that would be absolutely incredible) in Pep's super team. Because I'm not too convinced clubs like PSG and City are all that good for their domestic leagues.

I'd like to see Kane go abroad if he leaves Spurs, tbh. I don't want him making an incredibly good team better in England even better xD although if we could get him at Liverpool (which won't happen in a million years, sadly) I'd absolutely take him. Would be cool to see him dominating Serie A like Lukaku did the last 2 years.

• 2 months later...

Archived