talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Harry Kane - Striker Says He's Staying at Spurs

football forum

Always makes me laugh when people use things like that as 'banter' or against the player in question. It's surely just a failure of their club that they've not been able to attract/keep hold of the player. 

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
25 minutes ago, shut up said:

It wasn't one season at all. There are team pictures of him in the 99 kit too. so that's at least 5 years?

He may have been there longer yeah, I don’t know how many years he was in the academy, but came to Spurs at 11 and the rest is history 

I maybe wrong but i can only see City seriously making a a run for Kane.

This transfer doesn't make sense for most teams.  Levy is a prick to deal with, wants ridiculous money and will drag it on all summer. Through in that Kane is injury prone and 28 in July meaning there is no resale value, I think most clubs will stay clear.  

When you add the transfer fee, the agent fee and Kane's salary on a 4 or 5 year deal , only the artifical clubs owned by nation states can afford this deal.   They will get a great player who will score 25 goals a year for a couple of years, but the total cost of this deal makes it out of reach if you have to run your business in a normal way.

Seems more serious this time around and if Levy breaks this ‘gentleman’s agreement’ I think it could get quite resentful behind the scenes, Kane’s given the club chance after chance. As much as Levy needs the positive PR these days, Kane leaving does have an inevitability to it; if they signed effectively and Kane ends up not settling in well at a rival or having an injury crisis, there’s definitely an upside. 

• Subscriber

it’s not the most explosive... basically probably want to leave, want to win stuff but also realistic enough to know probably won’t be sold, won’t burn any bridges, chairman will pay me more and sell me another dream  

There was a great article on the Athletic by Oliver Kay about player loyalty.  It gave the examples of Gerrard, Shearer, Totti, and Torres.  Gerrard opted to stay in Liverpool and won plenty of trophies... just not the title.  He had the chance to join Chelsea and likely would have won the title but opted not to.  Shearer went back to Newcastle instead of Man Utd and it likely cost him trophies.  He thought that it was more important to be a legend at the club you love than to win trophies.  Totti obviously turned down Real Madrid to stay at Roma and won very little there, but wouldn't change a thing.  Torres won everything but regretted leaving both Atletico and Liverpool to chase trophies in the whole "romance is dead" deal.  

Kane's position is similar to those in some ways, but different in a sense that he's won absolutely nothing.  Even Shearer won the Prem once and Totti won Serie A and the Coppa once.  For me personally, being a club legend would mean so much more than trophies but each player has a different motivation.  

26 minutes ago, Coma said:

There was a great article on the Athletic by Oliver Kay about player loyalty.  It gave the examples of Gerrard, Shearer, Totti, and Torres.  Gerrard opted to stay in Liverpool and won plenty of trophies... just not the title.  He had the chance to join Chelsea and likely would have won the title but opted not to.  Shearer went back to Newcastle instead of Man Utd and it likely cost him trophies.  He thought that it was more important to be a legend at the club you love than to win trophies.  Totti obviously turned down Real Madrid to stay at Roma and won very little there, but wouldn't change a thing.  Torres won everything but regretted leaving both Atletico and Liverpool to chase trophies in the whole "romance is dead" deal.  

Kane's position is similar to those in some ways, but different in a sense that he's won absolutely nothing.  Even Shearer won the Prem once and Totti won Serie A and the Coppa once.  For me personally, being a club legend would mean so much more than trophies but each player has a different motivation.  

Gerrard actually made the decision to stay at Liverpool when they won the Champions league title, he was asked on the pitch after the game if he would be staying and he said how can I leave now. 

I might be wrong but I'm pretty certain he only won two trophies after that being the FA Cup and the League cup.

Shearer, well he most certainly did miss out on titles with United, without checking the facts I'd say he could have at least won 7 or 8 titles, 2 or 3 Fa cups and a Champions league title. In fact who would know if we had a striker of the quality of Shearer would we have won more than one Champions league in that era, he was certainly better than Cole, Yorke, Sheringham and Ole. 

31 minutes ago, Coma said:

I think it helps when you’ve won the league earlier on, like Totti did in his early Roma days and Shearer did early in his career; at least then it’s already behind you. Kane is 28 in July and has nothing to fall back on like those two had.

4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Would Spurs like Tammy Abraham + Cash?

Replacing Kane with Abraham would be like replacing Rachel Riley on Countdown with Fizz off Coronation Street. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Would Spurs like Tammy Abraham + Cash?

We would never sell to Chelsea. 

Kane would be absolutely perfect for you though 

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, Devil said:

I might be wrong but I'm pretty certain he only won two trophies after that being the FA Cup and the League cup.

:ay:

Honours

Steve Gerrard

Player

Liverpool 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Gerrard#Player

22 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

I was right, in reality that's a fairly lacklustre career for a player of his ability. 

57 minutes ago, Devil said:

Gerrard actually made the decision to stay at Liverpool when they won the Champions league title, he was asked on the pitch after the game if he would be staying and he said how can I leave now. 

Shearer, well he most certainly did miss out on titles with United, without checking the facts I'd say he could have at least won 7 or 8 titles, 2 or 3 Fa cups and a Champions league title. In fact who would know if we had a striker of the quality of Shearer would we have won more than one Champions league in that era, he was certainly better than Cole, Yorke, Sheringham and Ole. 

That summer after the Champs league win was when he was on the verge of leaving for Chelsea.  Putting a mic in his face on the pitch after the victory is one thing, but the battle he had with Liverpool management that summer was completely different.

15 minutes ago, shut up said:

Just to give our international posters some context

Rachel Riley

image.png.080be46ef6cc3f0d2fafe506ab620abf.png

Fizz

image.png.008bf9a70e7f84f0680a178b463d0f6f.png

Look at you posting the pics and stealing all the thunder from my gag :rofl:

2 hours ago, Storts said:

it’s not the most explosive... basically probably want to leave, want to win stuff but also realistic enough to know probably won’t be sold, won’t burn any bridges, chairman will pay me more and sell me another dream  

Come on, that has to sting a little. As you said, it's not the most explosive but it is him applying some pressure to make sure a move happens. Don't think he'll go as far as to refuse showing up but we may see some slight escalation in what his agent says publicly.

2 hours ago, Storts said:

Just a quick question on this, does the club know of these interviews before a player goes ahead with them. Clearly Neville was always going to be instructed by Sky to swing conversation in the direction of a possible transfer. So why on earth have Spurs allowed him to go ahead with the interview at this time. 

Actually think Kane is a bit of a twat if I'm honest, if he loved and respected the club like he says he does then why does he need to use Sky's platform to unsettle his position at the club. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Come on, that has to sting a little. As you said, it's not the most explosive but it is him applying some pressure to make sure a move happens. Don't think he'll go as far as to refuse showing up but we may see some slight escalation in what his agent says publicly.

Oh stings a little sure, timing is terrible, and not happy with how he and his brother have gone about things, this interview wasn’t sanctioned - and it’s definitely him playing one of the cards he has. I dont think it will escalate much more publicly from him though, and his brother is a big Spurs fan too. We shall see. Basically just putting ball in levy’s court, it’s Calculated, but not sure it changes much. However does his media training deserves praise though, he nails the want to leave but not slag off the club or fans tone 

• Subscriber
Just now, Devil said:

Just a quick question on this, does the club know of these interviews before a player goes ahead with them. Clearly Neville was always going to be instructed by Sky to swing conversation in the direction of a possible transfer. So why on earth have Spurs allowed him to go ahead with the interview at this time. 

Actually think Kane is a bit of a twat if I'm honest, if he loved and respected the club like he says he does then why does he need to use Sky's platform to unsettle his position at the club. 

They didn’t know about this, wasn’t sanctioned. They don’t be happy 

And agree on the latter in terms of timing mainly - but ultimately he doesn’t have many options in terms of leaving halfway through a deal 

• The title was changed to Harry Kane - Striker Says He's Staying at Spurs

Archived