talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

PSG (3) a0-1 (3) Bayern Munich - Tuesday 13th April, 2021 (2nd Leg)

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PSG definitely have the advantage with their 3-2 first leg lead away from home. But despite the fact that PSG will play at home tonight, they will know that Bayern will start to throw the kitchen sink at them quite early on, in order to try and turn this tie around. PSG were clinical in the first leg, as they took their chances superbly. Bayern though controlled most of the match and the stats of the 1st leg are quite telling. Bayern had 31 shots in the 1st leg compared to PSG's 6 shots, Bayern also had 15 corners to PSG's 1 corner. The game and these stats clearly indicate that Bayern were feeling the absence of Lewandowski, with them unable to convert most of their many chances into goals.

Bayern's high defensive line was also exposed several times in the 1st leg. In tonight's match, it will be interesting to see how PSG approach the game. Bayern will undoubtedly try their best to get a goal early. I would think that PSG will try to defend in numbers, while at the same time, try to break on the counter attack at pace, with the likes of the world class duo of Mbappe and Neymar capable of causing havoc. Either way, there are likely to be several goals in this match, that's for sure.

21 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

So no Süle but Goretzka is in the squad, good news.

vgdc590.jpg

Gnabry is still out quarantining for Covid-19 as well. Lewandowski's and Gnabry's absences are much more of an issue for Bayern than Sule's non-appearance in my opinion. Bayern need goals and the former two have always been a source of goals for Bayern, ever since they joined the club. No doubt that Choupo-Moting will be Bayern's centre forward again tonight. Bayern will be hoping that the unfashionable forward has the game of his life at the Parc des Princes this evening.

Also the various reports are saying that it is highly unlikely that Goretzka will play tonight against PSG, despite the fact that he has travelled with the squad to Paris.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Michael said:

Gnabry is still out quarantining for Covid-19 as well. Lewandowski's and Gnabry's absences are much more of an issue for Bayern than Sule's non-appearance in my opinion. Bayern need goals and the former two have always been a source of goals for Bayern, ever since they joined the club. No doubt that Choupo-Moting will be Bayern's centre forward again tonight. Bayern will be hoping that the unfashionable forward has the game of his life at the Parc des Princes this evening.

Also the various reports are saying that it is highly unlikely that Goretzka will play tonight against PSG, despite the fact that he has travelled with the squad to Paris.

I dont disagree at all there isnt much between Boateng and Süle these days; neither is a world beater this season. Obviously Lewy is the biggest loss but Gnabry is the icing on the cake, definitely would be my #1 choice to replace Lewy, also thins our winger options when both Sane and Coman have off days like they did. Wingers have to show up and our defence has to regroup which they havent been able to all season really. Then again im happier with Hernandez in the middle so well see.

Goretzka is a big loss if hes unable to play, the news didnt sound like he was going to originally so I was surprised to see him travel period. Could just be in hopes more then anything.

20 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

I dont disagree at all there isnt much between Boateng and Süle these days; neither is a world beater this season. Obviously Lewy is the biggest loss but Gnabry is the icing on the cake, definitely would be my #1 choice to replace Lewy, also thins our winger options when both Sane and Coman have off days like they did. Wingers have to show up and our defence has to regroup which they havent been able to all season really. Then again im happier with Hernandez in the middle so well see.

Goretzka is a big loss if hes unable to play, the news didnt sound like he was going to originally so I was surprised to see him travel period. Could just be in hopes more then anything.

Yeah, I think that having both Lewandowski and Gnabry out for both legs against PSG has been a real blow. Gnabry would have been the best possible replacement for Lewandowski that Bayern have. He is a very good finisher of chances, even though he's not quite on the Pole's level in that regard. But I think that Goretzka's injury, has made Bayern's task all the more harder going into this 2nd leg. Who will play alongside Kimmich in central midfield? I've read some reports that have suggested that Muller could play alongside Kimmich, with the young creative Musiala playing just behind Choupo-Moting. I don't think that this would be a great idea, as Muller is much better further forward. Having Alaba next to Kimmich in midfield, is the best available option, with Muller playing in his usual position just in front of them. Coman took a knock in his last game for Bayern, but hopefully he has recovered. Coman's creativity will be needed on the wings, as will Sane's pace and scoring ability.

Hernandez should be brought into defence and I think that he should be able to do a decent job alongside Boateng. In any case, it's not easy at all to play the high defensive line that Bayern love to deploy under Flick. Bayern will no doubt concede tonight, but they will be hoping that they can score more than PSG. Davies and Pavard will also be expected to provide a lot to Bayern's offense, as well as covering their defensive duties.

At the end of the day, I think it might be a case of how Choupo-Moting performs. As the man furthest forward in Bayern's formation, he will be expected to put away the chances that Bayern create for him and Bayern will create many chances, as they almost always do. I am not the biggest fan of Choupo-Moting, but hopefully he will be motivated to impress against his former club and come out with a big performance tonight. Whatever happens, we are in for an entertaining match and a bit of a goal fest I think.

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, Michael said:

Yeah, I think that having both Lewandowski and Gnabry out for both legs against PSG has been a real blow. Gnabry would have been the best possible replacement for Lewandowski that Bayern have. He is a very good finisher of chances, even though he's not quite on the Pole's level in that regard. But I think that Goretzka's injury, has made Bayern's task all the more harder going into this 2nd leg. Who will play alongside Kimmich in central midfield? I've read some reports that have suggested that Muller could play alongside Kimmich, with the young creative Musiala playing just behind Choupo-Moting. I don't think that this would be a great idea, as Muller is much better further forward. Having Alaba next to Kimmich in midfield, is the best available option, with Muller playing in his usual position just in front of them. Coman took a knock in his last game for Bayern, but hopefully he has recovered. Coman's creativity will be needed on the wings, as will Sane's pace and scoring ability.

Hernandez should be brought into defence and I think that he should be able to do a decent job alongside Boateng. In any case, it's not easy at all to play the high defensive line that Bayern love to deploy under Flick. Bayern will no doubt concede tonight, but they will be hoping that they can score more than PSG. Davies and Pavard will also be expected to provide a lot to Bayern's offense, as well as covering their defensive duties.

At the end of the day, I think it might be a case of how Choupo-Moting performs. As the man furthest forward in Bayern's formation, he will be expected to put away the chances that Bayern create for him and Bayern will create many chances, as they almost always do. I am not the biggest fan of Choupo-Moting, but hopefully he will be motivated to impress against his former club and come out with a big performance tonight. Whatever happens, we are in for an entertaining match and a bit of a goal fest I think.

If Goretzka cant go which Id assume is going to be the case Id have Alaba beside Kimmich. Backline of Pavard Boateng Hernandez Davies, the rest we have no options really. I would like to see Musiala come on if either Coman or Sane have a match like the first leg. 

The part that gets me is all last season we played quite a high line as well but to much more success. The defence is just all out of sorts, individually and as a unit theres just lots of issues. 

4 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

If Goretzka cant go which Id assume is going to be the case Id have Alaba beside Kimmich. Backline of Pavard Boateng Hernandez Davies, the rest we have no options really. I would like to see Musiala come on if either Coman or Sane have a match like the first leg. 

The part that gets me is all last season we played quite a high line as well but to much more success. The defence is just all out of sorts, individually and as a unit theres just lots of issues. 

Yep, the following is the best possible line-up to start with, given the players who are out or injured for Bayern.

Neuer

Pavard- Boateng - Hernandez - Davies

Kimmich - Alaba

Sane - Muller - Coman

Choupo-Moting

As you suggested, Musiala off the bench could also do a decent job with his skills as the game enters the final stages. But starting with Musiala would be a mistake in my opinion. Starting with an 18 year old, in arguably Bayern's most important game of the season, would not be the most wisest of decisions in my view.

1 hour ago, Viva la FCB said:

I thought that last week's game was very similar to the Lyon semifinal in Lisbon. 

Bayern controlled that match but Lyon sure had their chances to score some goals. It was a much tougher match than the final score would suggest.

In my opinion, Bayern's system is a good case of taking the good with the bad. That high line exposes the team to counter-attacks but the volume of chances it generates far outweight its disadvantages.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Rick said:

If Lewandowski is fit, I’d back Bayern to turn it around with Marquinos out, but instead they rely on Choupo Moting. 

Thats the sad state of affairs man. As i said the first choice option to replace him for these kind of matches would fall to Gnabry but hes out with covid. Old Choups magoops was never brought in to start these kinds of matches but there just isnt another choice. Doesnt exactly fill you with confidence. 

10 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

No surprises then, no Goretzka, Alaba in midfield presumably. That is one thin bench. 

Yep, Goretzka is not even on the Bayern bench, so he will play no part in this evening's game. Talking about Bayern's bench, it looks really inexperienced. Musiala is the only creative option who has had some regular appearances for the Bayern first team. Javi Martinez will provide some defensive cover from the bench if needed, but generally speaking, Bayern's bench looks threadbare. This is in contrast to PSG's bench, which has players of the experience and quality of Herrera, Verratti, Kean, Sarabia, Kehrer,  Florenzi, Bakker, Rafinha and Rico. 

• Administrator
45 minutes ago, Tommy said:

TFW you want Bayern to lose, but then everyone would shit on the Bundesliga. 

LyD.gif

Not with one person gone from here. You're fine. 

This game better be good though. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Of? 

I watched France vs. Germany live on TV when those terror attacks in Paris in 2015 happened. At first people thought those are fireworks too. 

1 minute ago, Tommy said:

I watched France vs. Germany live on TV when those terror attacks in Paris in 2015 happened. At first people thought those are fireworks too. 

Don't worry, those looked like legitimate fireworks tonight. On the field though, Choupo-Moting is already annoying me, he seems off the pace compared to the rest of the Bayern players.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Ah right. Of course. 6 years ago already :o

• The topic was unpinned

Archived