talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool (1) 0-0 (3) Real Madrid - Wednesday 14th April, 2021 (2nd Leg)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Don't think he will.

Jota should have started. Has shown when he's played he makes an impact. Definitely would have buried one of those chances in the first half if it fell to him. 

I've no issue with Jota not starting. No guarantee Liverpool start like they did with him in the side. Two of the best three chances fall to Salah. Unless you're leaving Salah out, Jota isn't taking up positions to get on the end of them

Gutted, I didn't think we'd play as well as we did (or that Madrid would be as poor as they were) - but they were there for the taking and we had a number of chances we should have put away.

No room for passengers, really in any match, but especially not against Real Madrid. So not surprised we struggled to score with Firmino and Mane having the seasons they've been having.

13 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I've no issue with Jota not starting. No guarantee Liverpool start like they did with him in the side. Two of the best three chances fall to Salah. Unless you're leaving Salah out, Jota isn't taking up positions to get on the end of them

You have no issue with Jota not starting? What exactly have Mane & Firmino done to justify starting over him this season? Jota has been a reliable goalscorer for us since he joined. I didn’t want to get into this before the match because I couldn’t be arsed complaining before it started, but I wasn’t happy with Jota on the bench. 

Firmino didn’t do anything in the early stages himself, so I don’t know why you’re suggesting Jota could have had less impact. Less impact than nothing? For me, you play the man who is in form, the man who has looked like one of the few bright sparks this season. 

Jota ( a consistent goalscorer this season) being left out of a game where we need two goals for two players who can’t buy a goal lately doesn’t sit well with me. 

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

The last time Real Madrid knocked us out (does it count as knocking someone out if you lose in a final)... we ended up massively improving overall. Whereas with Atletico Madrid, you could probably make an argument it was the beginning of us beginning to return to earth after turning into one of the most terrifying sides to play in Europe.

Hopefully Real Madrid have just wiped the curse of Atletico off us and restored our former glory by knocking us out.

2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

The first half performance in the first leg is ultimately what's cost us. I don't get people moaning about individuals tonight or the selection. 

Gave you enough of a reason why I think the selection was a mistake. You can’t tell me you thought Firmino had a strong game there. 

1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

The first half performance in the first leg is ultimately what's cost us. I don't get people moaning about individuals tonight or the selection. 

Tbh, the whole first leg... barring that 10-15 minute spell at the beginning of the second half are why we're out of Europe now.

It was a very poor performance against Real Madrid in Madrid. Sides don't typically progress after they put a shit shift in against them at home in Europe.

They were the better side over 2 legs, they deserved the win. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The last time Real Madrid knocked us out (does it count as knocking someone out if you lose in a final)... we ended up massively improving overall. Whereas with Atletico Madrid, you could probably make an argument it was the beginning of us beginning to return to earth after turning into one of the most terrifying sides to play in Europe.

Hopefully Real Madrid have just wiped the curse of Atletico off us and restored our former glory by knocking us out.

Need some better players if that is going to happen mate. Some definite squad improvements required if that's the case...

19 minutes ago, Stan said:

Casemiro or Militao as man of the match.

The former because he seemed to dominate that central midfield. Tackles, blocks, interceptions, the lot. 

Militao cos he was just in front of anything Liverpool posed, especially Firmino. Like Hernandez last night for Bayern.

Militão moving to Madrid was a  mistake imo. 

He's just too good to spend month after month on the bench. Still only 23 and also capable of playing as a RB. I would love to see him moving to a club where he's given more playing time.

1 minute ago, Rick said:

Gave you enough of a reason why I think the selection was a mistake. You can’t tell me you thought Firmino had a strong game there. 

You're both right.

Firmino was pretty poor today. But Firmino not being good today isn't why we didn't go through overall - we were punished for that first leg performance. There's 2 general rules for playing in Europe: win your home games (we didn't do that, they did) & keep the away games tight (they did that).

Just now, Rick said:

He made a couple of poor passes in good positions but it's clear what Firmino brings to the side  in terms of off the ball and there's no guarantee Liverpool start like they did if Jota starts. I mean, look at the first leg...

I was fine having Jota as an impact sub like we have so many times this season

I don’t want to get into a big back and forth, going around in circles. But it’s not just the first shit first leg as the reason we are out. For the chances we had tonight, we should have had those two goals. 

I have now just realized that this could very well have been the last match of the Salah-Firmino-Mané trio in the Champions League. 

It was a joy to watch them, especially in the 18/19 season. So many huge moments from these three in the last few years. 

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Need some better players if that is going to happen mate. Some definite squad improvements required if that's the case...

I mean if our squad stays relatively healthy, I think we'd be a lot fucking better than we've been this season. Granted, at this point hoping for Gomez and Matip to not get injured seems like hoping almost as hopeless as waiting for Jesus to return... and chances are VVD will be a lot more injury prone than he was before his injury. And there's no guarantee he'll ever be as good as he was :( 

But yeah, I think we're in this position because FSG got complacent. So I do hope they've learned from this season and aren't as complacent again.

1 minute ago, Rick said:

I don’t want to get into a big back and forth, going around in circles. But it’s not just the first shit first leg as the reason we are out. For the chances we had tonight, we should have had those two goals. 

And the selection from the start is in part down to those chances being created, isn't it? Unless you're dropping Salah, which chance is Jota getting on the end of?

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

But yeah, I think we're in this position because FSG got complacent. So I do hope they've learned from this season and aren't as complacent again.

This summer will be the tell. The squad needs investment, let’s see if it gets it.  

2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

And the selection from the start is in part down to those chances being created, isn't it? Unless you're dropping Salah, which chance is Jota getting on the end of?

So now I have to drop Salah? Why? The chances with Jota on the pitch would have been different to the ones that were created tonight. Jota has been reliable putting chances away. I certainly back him in front of goal more than Bobby right now. 

5 minutes ago, Rick said:

So now I have to drop Salah? Why? The chances with Jota on the pitch would have been different to the ones that were created tonight. Jota has been reliable putting chances away. I certainly back him in front of goal more than Bobby right now. 

That's my point when I say that Liverpool don't necessarily start like that if Firmino/Mane doesn't start. It was clear in the first leg, that along with the mistake of starting Keita, that Liverpool missed the sort of intensity they Firmino brings. Liverpool start well and create a few good chances first half. The front three as a collective were a part of that.

Criticise the first leg or the subs of Chamberlain and Shaqiri that saw us lose our way, if you want, but I don't think there was anything wrong with the way Liverpool started the game

41 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

I have now just realized that this could very well have been the last match of the Salah-Firmino-Mané trio in the Champions League. 

It was a joy to watch them, especially in the 18/19 season. So many huge moments from these three in the last few years. 

Yeah, I think all the best clubs look to evolve and Liverpool need to do that now. I don't think it needs major surgery, just a few tweaks here and there.

I'd go as far to say I think even the Liverpool fans have raised the white flag and quietened on how vital to the attack Firmino is now. No one has ever questioned his link up play but you need more goals from the front man surely.

Ultimately he just doesn't give them the goals they need and Jota has come in and put the cat amongst the pigeons that shows they may not necessarily need him anymore.

• Administrator
41 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I mean if our squad stays relatively healthy, I think we'd be a lot fucking better than we've been this season. Granted, at this point hoping for Gomez and Matip to not get injured seems like hoping almost as hopeless as waiting for Jesus to return... and chances are VVD will be a lot more injury prone than he was before his injury. And there's no guarantee he'll ever be as good as he was :( 

I think as a club you need to move on from injury-prone unreliable players like Matip. 

As for VVD I agree. I can't think of many players that come back from ACL injuries the same player as they were before. Ricardo for us is still working his way back to how he was before. Saw a little of it on Sunday but its not for a full game. 

Gonna be an interesting summer for sure. For a lot of clubs. Reckon there's gonna be a lot more caution and prudent behaviour! 

All fans want their clubs to spend big but in reality there's only a handful of clubs that can realistically do that following the effects of COVID on the game and income for clubs. 

20 minutes ago, Stan said:

I think as a club you need to move on from injury-prone unreliable players like Matip. 

As for VVD I agree. I can't think of many players that come back from ACL injuries the same player as they were before. Ricardo for us is still working his way back to how he was before. Saw a little of it on Sunday but its not for a full game. 

Gonna be an interesting summer for sure. For a lot of clubs. Reckon there's gonna be a lot more caution and prudent behaviour! 

All fans want their clubs to spend big but in reality there's only a handful of clubs that can realistically do that following the effects of COVID on the game and income for clubs. 

It's a bit shit for us really, because I think COVID's cut into a lot of the money made from us actually being a good side that won things. And they were pretty cautious with money before COVID, because we only really spent big after we sold big. Now, I don't think we can really sell anyone big except for Mo... and I think selling Mo would be a disastrous idea.

But yeah, I think players like Matip, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Keita all need to be shifted on. I love Joemez... but I think we should maybe be looking at someone to replace him in the starting XI, at least for the inevitable long-term injury that he'll suffer at some point in the season. I also think Gini's on his way out... and Milner's not getting younger anymore - looks like we're finally seeing him slow down with old age.

But good CMs and CBs aren't cheap. And as you and @Lucas have said... it's also probably time for us to sign another striker as well (and maybe look to move Origi on, cult hero that he is... he's shown he's not going to contribute much when we're having a season like the one we're having now). And it's not realistic we can make the overhauls to the squad we probably need to make to get back to the level of last season.

Honestly, I'm not that excited about our summer business... I think it'll be mostly disappointment for Liverpool fans. I'm just looking forward to the season ending and I'm hoping all international sides with Liverpool players in the Euros have a terrible time and are knocked out as quickly as possible, so they can get a bit of a rest.

52 minutes ago, SkyBruce Championship said:

I didn't know Real Madrid was another one of Liverpool's so called derby matches :ph34r:

It’s been reported since the game that a few of the Real Madrid players had nightmares after seeing the ferocity in which those Liverpool fans flicked their wrists knowing that it must have taken years and years of practice, bursting through multiple pain barriers and daily records to achieve such a convincing “wanker” gesture.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived