talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool (1) 0-0 (3) Real Madrid - Wednesday 14th April, 2021 (2nd Leg)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't see any way through without fans at Anfield, tbh.

That Real Madrid midfield was class - it would take some performance from us to win the midfield battle... which we'll need to do in order to get through. I think it's a bit different to when Barca scored a lot and then we won 4-0 at Anfield, aside from the fact the atmosphere for this one will be another empty Anfield (which tbh seems to demotivate the players more than playing at empty away stadiums, for some reason)... in that game we lost to Barca, we actually put in a good performance despite losing 3-0.

Here, we're a week removed from Real Madrid absolutely outclassing us. I can't see any iteration of midfielders we can put out currently that'll help us win the midfield battle. Aside from the midfield battle, I can see Benzema once again running our CBs ragged and Vinicius Jr. had one of the best games of his career against us. So we're likely to face constant threat to our backline as we're likely to push really hard to get the goals we need to get through this round.

I think this is set up as nicely for Real Madrid as it could possibly be, other than the fact we have an away goal. But I can't see us scoring 2 with no reply from Real Madrid unless we're very, very lucky.

I hope whoever goes through on this one ends up winning the whole tournament though... unless Bayern make it through to the next round and we don't... in which case I hope it's Real Madrid or Bayern Munich winning it. Unless Porto somehow make it through (doubt it though)...

21 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Can't see any way through without fans at Anfield, tbh.

That Real Madrid midfield was class - it would take some performance from us to win the midfield battle... which we'll need to do in order to get through. I think it's a bit different to when Barca scored a lot and then we won 4-0 at Anfield, aside from the fact the atmosphere for this one will be another empty Anfield (which tbh seems to demotivate the players more than playing at empty away stadiums, for some reason)... in that game we lost to Barca, we actually put in a good performance despite losing 3-0.

Here, we're a week removed from Real Madrid absolutely outclassing us. I can't see any iteration of midfielders we can put out currently that'll help us win the midfield battle. Aside from the midfield battle, I can see Benzema once again running our CBs ragged and Vinicius Jr. had one of the best games of his career against us. So we're likely to face constant threat to our backline as we're likely to push really hard to get the goals we need to get through this round.

I think this is set up as nicely for Real Madrid as it could possibly be, other than the fact we have an away goal. But I can't see us scoring 2 with no reply from Real Madrid unless we're very, very lucky.

I hope whoever goes through on this one ends up winning the whole tournament though... unless Bayern make it through to the next round and we don't... in which case I hope it's Real Madrid or Bayern Munich winning it. Unless Porto somehow make it through (doubt it though)...

Your record under Klopp against Spanish sides is terrible, but the one time it wasn't, it had to be against Barcelona. Cunts.

I think you definitely have a chance though. Stranger things have certainly happened and Liverpool are one club who are capable of such a feat. 

9 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Your record under Klopp against Spanish sides is terrible, but the one time it wasn't, it had to be against Barcelona. Cunts.

I think you definitely have a chance though. Stranger things have certainly happened and Liverpool are one club who are capable of such a feat. 

I’d have more faith if we had fans in the stands. I think for as much of a factor as the Anfield crowd can be for motivating our players, I think our lads now suffer from a bit of a demotivating factor in an empty Anfield.

Obviously I can’t really back that up with hard evidence. But I think there’s clearly a psychological barrier for our players at home.

I just think Madrid are in too strong of a position & we as a football club are not in a good place. Whereas when we beat Barca, I think we were one of the best teams in Europe.

At the end of the day, I think we’ve got no chance unless we control the midfield. And I think Madrid’s midfield is too good for us to control the midfield.

It’s a long shot, but we aren’t out of it yet. Have to have faith that despite an empty Anfield, these players have enough determination to get over the line.

Midfield three has to be Thiago, Fabinho & Wijnaldum/Jones. I don’t know why Jones has been shifted to the bench all of a sudden, especially when he has performed better than Gini has since the start of the year.

2 minutes ago, Rick said:

It’s a long shot, but we aren’t out of it yet. Have to have faith that despite an empty Anfield, these players have enough determination to get over the line.

Midfield three has to be Thiago, Fabinho & Wijnaldum/Jones. I don’t know why Jones has been shifted to the bench all of a sudden, especially when he has performed better than Gini has since the start of the year.

He missed the Villa match due to injury, unfortunately. If he's fit enough to start, I'd be tempted to start him in the midfield. But I don't think he'll be starting. So I'd go with that 3 of Thiago, Fabinho, Gini.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He missed the Villa match due to injury, unfortunately. If he's fit enough to start, I'd be tempted to start him in the midfield. But I don't think he'll be starting. So I'd go with that 3 of Thiago, Fabinho, Gini.

Since Fab moved back into midfield, it’s been Jones who has missed out to make way. Wrongly in my opinion, as Gini form from the start of the year has been poor. 

15 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I wouldn't be shocked if he went with Fabinho over Phillips at CB and everyone's heads will fall offxD

And rightly so? If he does that I’ll be very annoyed. As ropey as Phillips & Kabak are, that midfield without Fab would be run ragged. 

40 minutes ago, Rick said:

And rightly so? If he does that I’ll be very annoyed. As ropey as Phillips & Kabak are, that midfield without Fab would be run ragged. 

Phillips looked way out of his depth in the first leg. It would hardly be an outrageous call to leave him out of this one. I think a lot will depend on if you can get Milner going twice in a few days. 

5 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Phillips looked way out of his depth in the first leg. It would hardly be an outrageous call to leave him out of this one. I think a lot will depend on if you can get Milner going twice in a few days. 

Not having Fab in the middle as your protection for the centre backs is suicide in my opinion. We seen it plenty when he was out of the team. I hope Klopp doesn’t does it, but now you’ve got me worried that he will 😂

Just now, Rick said:

Not having Fab in the middle as your protection for the centre backs is suicide in my opinion. We seen it plenty when he was out of the team. I hope Klopp doesn’t does it, but now you’ve got me worried that he will 😂

Tbf last match we had him in the middle as protection for the centrebacks and it didn't matter, they were still run ragged.

I agree with @LFCMike how we line up probably entirely depends on whether Milner can play twice in one week.

2 minutes ago, Rick said:

The protection wasn't much use when they just tried to hit balls over the top in between Phillips and Trent last week. Having a CB who could deal with them better, while also letting the midfield press a bit higher without worrying about what is behind them in terms of both CBs wouldn't be a bad thing. If Fabinho was right CB you probably get Trent a little further up the pitch at times too

Fabinho is better than Phillips, but him being in the team doesn’t mean those high balls won’t be a success for Madrid. He’s not a speed demon by any means and he’s not beating Vinicius in a foot race either. He also gives away silly fouls at times. Clearly, he’s better than what we have back there, but the gap that’s going to be left between the midfield and the defence isn’t something I like the idea of.

It’s perhaps the way to go if we are just gonna go all out and give Trent free reign to get forward as much as possible. But you’re giving that Madrid midfield so much freedom but taking Fab out. I know it didn’t go to plan last week, but Keita in that midfield was a mistake and we had a much better second half with Thiago in there next to Fabinho. 

18 minutes ago, Rick said:

Fabinho is better than Phillips, but him being in the team doesn’t mean those high balls won’t be a success for Madrid. He’s not a speed demon by any means and he’s not beating Vinicius in a foot race either. He also gives away silly fouls at times. Clearly, he’s better than what we have back there, but the gap that’s going to be left between the midfield and the defence isn’t something I like the idea of.

It’s perhaps the way to go if we are just gonna go all out and give Trent free reign to get forward as much as possible. But you’re giving that Madrid midfield so much freedom but taking Fab out. I know it didn’t go to plan last week, but Keita in that midfield was a mistake and we had a much better second half with Thiago in there next to Fabinho. 

As well as bringing Keita in from the cold, leaving Firmino out was a mistake too. Kroos and Modric wouldn't get the time and space they got with Firmino around I don't think.

I just firmly believe Liverpool's best chance of going through is not playing a lad who doesn't belong at this level. Get Fabinho and Milner around Trent and let him worry less about what's behind him. You can get away with Phillips against a lot of PL sides. You can't against sides in a CL Quarter Final

9 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Strange that Thiago has been left out again

Yeah, don’t quite get that one. If he’s wanting extra protection to the back four by putting Fab & Milly in there, that’s fine. But surely you drop Gini and get Thiago in. 

12 minutes ago, Rick said:

Yeah, don’t quite get that one. If he’s wanting extra protection to the back four by putting Fab & Milly in there, that’s fine. But surely you drop Gini and get Thiago in. 

I suppose there's legs in that midfield. Plan is probably to run them for an hour or so then make changes

11 minutes ago, Stan said:

Thought Thiago and Jota would start. 

Not surprised with Jota. One of them is always going to have to miss out. I know Mane is the one getting stick recently but he'll still be more familiar with what Klopp wants on these occasions and Jota off the bench with 20-30 to go is a potential tie winner

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

LFC fans, considering the injuries and the fact that Robertson and TAA haven't been as solid defensively as they were last season, wouldn't a 3-5-2 be a better system for this team? 

I think with that kind of formation you'd be inviting all the wing issues we had to deal with in the first leg personally. Yes, the midfield gets a bit more busier and that could work to our advantage but the wings being left free would cause us all kinds of problems we cant afford with the defensive group we have playing in CB right now. They need all the help they can get. 

• The title was changed to Liverpool (1) 0-0 (3) Real Madrid - Wednesday 14th April, 2021 (2nd Leg)
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived