talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Zlatan's Place in Football History

football forum

10 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Wasn't Ronaldo's prime during his stint at Barcelona?

I think so. That was the best season of his career. 47 goals in 49 games. 

I consider his prime the Barcelona season and then his first two seasons at Inter. 

His best european season was the one when he won the UEFA League with Inter. 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
36 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Strange how he never ever won a Champions League and to think that he never even won a Serie A trophy in his time with Inter but they won the UEFA Cup. 

he won 3?

He was (and probably still is) world class, up there with the very best. I think the problem is when any big player moves to PSG you just start discounting silverware won in France because of how much of an advantage they have. And Zlatan was the first megastar PSG signed, prior to the new ownership French football in Europe was the odd side like Monaco or Lyon making it deeper into the CL KO stages but really French sides were seen as underdogs. So to go into a league that struggled to produce world class sides and then join PSG as they sign everyone under the sun....you just don't count winning a title in France in the same way as you do in England, Spain, Germany or Italy. So you have these years of his where he's still in his peak even though he's 30 when he joins PSG and because they don't win the Champions League...they seem wasted to neutrals, and then he goes and joins Man Utd in the Europa League and then LA Galaxy after. That's 7-8 years of his career he's spent at clubs where he's not consistently playing at elite levels.

Had he of gone to a big club and stayed with them then he'd probably be remembered a lot more fondly, there's probably a generation of football fans that only know him for PSG onwards....but he's won 4 league titles in Italy, 1 in Spain and has consistently scored 20-30+ goals a season since 07. He will go down as a great, and in fairness, he took a risk going to PSG as he'd have to win the CL to really be remembered globally there, he took a risk going to Man Utd because clearly he wanted to put them back to the top of English football with Mourinho. Neither worked out in those regards, but you can't question he quality.

5 minutes ago, MUFC said:

I feel Zlatan always went missing in the latter stages of the Champions League.

To be honest other than Barca I don't think he was at a club at the right time to challenge for the Champions league. His time in Italy was mostly spent at Inter Milan before moving to Barca and he then came back during the decline of AC Milan. Juventus were also pretty damn average during the period he was there as well. 

In terms of level of football he's up there with the best in position no doubt in my mind, the power and professional attitude he had (still has) is/was incredible.

3 hours ago, SkyBruce Championship said:

I think the pinnacle of his career was probably when Joey Barton gestured that he had a big nose.

I’d say it was embracing Pique as his soulmate, but I digress.

default.jpg

On 17/04/2021 at 15:50, Mel81x said:

I thought we were talking about Ronaldo then.

It seems like most of the greats lack a big trophy either at club level or international, such as the Brazilian Ronaldo or Maradona never winning the European Cup/Champions league or Messi, C.Ronaldo and Cruijff not lifting a world cup, for example.

On 16/04/2021 at 15:09, Spike said:

I’d say it was embracing Pique as his soulmate, but I digress.

default.jpg

This was best, when a reporter asked him about the photo and he says "come to my house and I'll show you I'm not gay...and bring your sister" 😂

Archived