talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What do you look for in a football team?

football forum

Hi

As part of a project I am doing I am gathering data on what football fans generally look for in the football club they support, as well as their knowledge and opinion on a few Serie A clubs. I put together a short questionnaire, if you have a few minutes I hope you will help fill it out, it will be a great help!

The questionnaire:

https://forms.gle/oHQu5Qq6U2YT9VDs5

I also think the topic could be interesting to discuss on this board. I personally think the clubs identity (History included) and the players are the most important but I imagine there is also a lot of people who value tradition highly. What is important for you and what made you support your team? :35_thinking:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Personal connection for me, first and foremost. Regardless if it's a connection because of your hometown, your birth place, your family, the place you have lived for years, or whatever. Without a personal connection, I just wouldn't be able to get into it.

• Subscriber

All done and dusted :ay:

I have supported Man United since I returned back from Australia in 1972, first noticed them in newspapers in Australia in the late '60s and began to read up on them and have supported them ever since.

Glasgow Rangers here in Scotland was a different kettle of fish for me, In Australia, I also supported an Aussie Rules football team called Carlton, when I came back from the UK and joined the army looking at a newspaper I saw the Carlton logo (if you can call them that) looked similar to the Glasgow Rangers one and they also played in a blue strip like Carlton so I have supported Glasgow Rangers since then (1972).

Glasgow Rangers (Scotland)                                        Carlton the Blues (Australia}

download.png.313231e701ba965d1314773712e4923c.png  download.png.e446cf2547c91a1dbea88b3f34214093.png

1 hour ago, Happy Blue said:

The one that's near where you was born and your family has supported for generations!  :what:

I think that is pretty interesting, you being a Man City fan. In the sense that you and your family was there before City's "financial takeover".

How has the changes the club has gone through effected you and your relation to the club? Has some of the changes for the sake of "branding" the club effected you, such as the change of club logo for instance?

53 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

All done and dusted :ay:

I have supported Man United since I returned back from Australia in 1972, first noticed them in newspapers in Australia in the late '60s and began to read up on them and have supported them ever since.

Glasgow Rangers here in Scotland was a different kettle of fish for me, In Australia, I also supported an Aussie Rules football team called Carlton, when I came back from the UK and joined the army looking at a newspaper I saw the Carlton logo (if you can call them that) looked similar to the Glasgow Rangers one and they also played in a blue strip like Carlton so I have supported Glasgow Rangers since then (1972).

Glasgow Rangers (Scotland)                                        Carlton the Blues (Australia}

download.png.313231e701ba965d1314773712e4923c.png  download.png.e446cf2547c91a1dbea88b3f34214093.png

Thanks man!

Cool how the newspaper was the way you discovered the teams, goes to show what a big difference media coverage can make for clubs when attracting foreign fans. As far as Carlton and Rangers goes I can definitely see the resemblance and am curious if you have found the two teams to be similar in other ways than the logo and colours?

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, SylvesterWH said:

I think that is pretty interesting, you being a Man City fan. In the sense that you and your family was there before City's "financial takeover".

How has the changes the club has gone through effected you and your relation to the club? Has some of the changes for the sake of "branding" the club effected you, such as the change of club logo for instance?

Thanks man!

Cool how the newspaper was the way you discovered the teams, goes to show what a big difference media coverage can make for clubs when attracting foreign fans. As far as Carlton and Rangers goes I can definitely see the resemblance and am curious if you have found the two teams to be similar in other ways than the logo and colours?

No, Rangers are nowhere similar to United, if Rangers had the former owner in charge who was a millionaire in Sir David Murray who invested millions into the Gers when he was around and Gers were winning the lot with Celtic in tow, United have the Glazers atm as owners and the less said about them leaches the better and Ed Woodward as Chief Executive  :71_smiling_imp: 

On 18/04/2021 at 14:05, SylvesterWH said:

Fuck that, i support Oldham now! :drunk:

I didn't have a hometown club being from the US, so all I had were select TV bits back in the late 90's.  Leeds and Dortmund were the first clubs I took an interest in when I first starting getting access to European football in the US.  Fox Soccer Channel showed select EPL and Bundesliga games and they were both wearing yellow and both were the rivals of clubs that the majority of Americans were following at the time (Man Utd, Bayern).

Pre-ESL: I feel like I didn't really have a choice, because of my dad.

Post-ESL: What I look for in a club is whether or not it's Tranmere Rovers FC

• Tranmere Rovers is Tranmere Rovers FC - this is acceptable
  • Everton is not Tranmere Rovers FC - this is not acceptable
  • Fortuna Dusseldorf is not Tranmere Rovers FC, but they were relegated during a pandemic like Tranmere - this is acceptable enough

Archived