talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Jose Mourinho Sacked

3 minutes ago, Storts said:

Forget everything else for a second, for 29 year old Tottenham fan Ryan Mason to be leading the team at Wembley a few years after retiring from football due to a head injury is truly remarkable. Special moment for him. Love this for the club 

Local lad also from Cheshunt, good luck to him! 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, SkyBruce Championship said:

Martin Samual going to town on Spurs for spending £16m of the taxpayers loan to Spurs on sacking Mourinho 

He didn’t even have to pretend to be Matt Hancock’s pal to get his hands on state cash. Daylight robbery. 

48 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Sarri linked with a move to Tottenham. Has been strongly linked with Roma and a return to Napoli in the summer as well.

Not sure where Spurs are going with this one, I rate Sarri but they literally left the old stadium to level up. They need a progressive manager who has silverware on his CV

I will say though he's likely to get the best out of players like Alli and Lo Celso

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think Sarri would be a better fit at Spurs than he was at Chelsea.

Completely but Spurs have to be aiming for silverware now based on the new stadium and still having Kane, if you get Sarri imo you're getting a lesser manager than Poch. Everyone now needs to be Poch or better.

• Subscriber

Sarri just feels like AVB going there all over again.

Rodgers makes loads of sense for them and I think he'd be a good fit, but getting him away from us won't be easy.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Danny said:

Completely but Spurs have to be aiming for silverware now based on the new stadium and still having Kane, if you get Sarri imo you're getting a lesser manager than Poch. Everyone now needs to be Poch or better.

If they lose on Sunday, which they very likely will, they're as far as they've been in years.

Just now, Danny said:

I think considering the stagnation and regression at Spurs... it'll be hard (if not impossible) for them to get Poch or better. I don't think they'll ever get Poch back, at least not any time soon, he's now at a club that will back him in the transfer market when he asks them to. And he can contend in Europe and is at the strongest side on paper in France. Think as long as he wins things at PSG, he's probably set for a move to a European giant as his next club - I think he'd like to be the Real Madrid manager so he can plan on making Barca fans sad.

And as far as getting a manager better than Poch... most of them have jobs elsewhere that they probably won't want to leave. Naglesmann's name has been thrown around... but realistically if his choice is Bayern or Spurs - where do we all think he's going? And Rodgers is a good manager - but I wouldn't say better than Poch. I still think Rodgers is doing quite a bit of learning on the job, which is fine - he's always needed to after leaving Swansea imo - but if they sign him they'd be hoping he grows with them. But tbf, I think you can make an argument that's exactly what happened with Poch.

I really think Spurs' ownership really fucked themselves over by not spending more money after their CL title. There were signs, even during their cup run, that the squad was in need of rejuvenation. So it's not that surprising that the next season Poch's side looked pretty much the same in the league as they had during that cup run - generally not anywhere near the same level. He's a good manager that deserved better backing to keep pushing Spurs on.

I'm sure @Storts would have much preferred the money that was paid to: sack Poch, hire Jose, and sack Jose - which is probably a pretty significant sum - could have gone into the squad under Poch's reign instead.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think considering the stagnation and regression at Spurs... it'll be hard (if not impossible) for them to get Poch or better. I don't think they'll ever get Poch back, at least not any time soon, he's now at a club that will back him in the transfer market when he asks them to. And he can contend in Europe and is at the strongest side on paper in France. Think as long as he wins things at PSG, he's probably set for a move to a European giant as his next club - I think he'd like to be the Real Madrid manager so he can plan on making Barca fans sad.

And as far as getting a manager better than Poch... most of them have jobs elsewhere that they probably won't want to leave. Naglesmann's name has been thrown around... but realistically if his choice is Bayern or Spurs - where do we all think he's going? And Rodgers is a good manager - but I wouldn't say better than Poch. I still think Rodgers is doing quite a bit of learning on the job, which is fine - he's always needed to after leaving Swansea imo - but if they sign him they'd be hoping he grows with them. But tbf, I think you can make an argument that's exactly what happened with Poch.

I really think Spurs' ownership really fucked themselves over by not spending more money after their CL title. There were signs, even during their cup run, that the squad was in need of rejuvenation. So it's not that surprising that the next season Poch's side looked pretty much the same in the league as they had during that cup run - generally not anywhere near the same level. He's a good manager that deserved better backing to keep pushing Spurs on.

I'm sure @Storts would have much preferred the money that was paid to: sack Poch, hire Jose, and sack Jose - which is probably a pretty significant sum - could have gone into the squad under Poch's reign instead.

Maybe Poch or better was too strict, but even managers with the potential to grow into that. I just think Sarri is underwhelming all things considered, though I don't think he'd be bad for them.

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

They aren't getting Nagelesmann if Bayern are in that mix. They also stated that he's one of their top pics after Flick decided he was leaving at the end of the season. Add to that the current fiasco and how Bayern have conducted themselves in it and I think it becomes an easy choice for Naglesmann in the end. 

• Subscriber
47 minutes ago, Dan said:

Sarri just feels like AVB going there all over again.

Rodgers makes loads of sense for them and I think he'd be a good fit, but getting him away from us won't be easy.

Yeah would be expensive and tricky, and certainly many risks involved. Reckon he’d want to come though. 

Sarri is more tactically astute than AVB from my experience. 

Unlike AVB, Sarri can quickly identify areas in the team that do not fit his style and then tweaks it. After we beat Arsenal 3-2 at the Bridge, we never saw our midfield as open as we did. AVB arrogantly continued to play a high line with Terry and Ivanovic and a midfield pairing of Ramires and Meireles despite disaster after disaster. 

I think Ten Hag is being seriously looked at. I would be excited, I think he's a good manager who plays entertaining football but whether he can step into a better league outside the Ajax set up remains to be seen.

Oliver Glasner is supposedly in contention. The hope would be that he is just one of those that fits perfectly if he comes. A lot of compensation would be involved though.

We have to be looking at Allegri as he is free and apparently wants to come to England. Sarri, I agree would be a better fit for us than Chelsea in that the fans would give him more time but we'd have to commit to how he wants to play and that means spending quite a bit of money, which we'll have to do anyway but even more so to fit his specifics.

I think Rafa should be considered too. Free, a proven Premier League manager who has competed at the top, won trophies, is a big name. I would definitely take him.

Regarding English managers, I am absolutely against Parker or Southgate getting the job. One has proven nothing in management and the other is suited for international management. Potter would be better than those two but a pretty big risk at the moment, one I'm not sure we can afford to take.

If we went English, I'd like to see us really go for Gerrard. I'd be interested to see what he'd do with us. I don't know if he'd want to come though or would use us as a stepping stone to get to Liverpool in the end. He'd be my first English choice, though.

Archived