talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

How Will the European Super League Affect How You Follow Football & Your Team?

football forum

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think on Sunday, I felt like I was completely over football.

Then yesterday, I decided I'd make more of an attempt to support my actual hometown side - the one that's on my side of the Mersey... which will be more difficult than supporting Liverpool, or any premier league side, because I'm living abroad and they're in League Two. But then I remembered about that iFollow subscriptions exist... and thankfully Tranmere are one of the clubs many clubs available. I know Tranmere are in much more need of money than Liverpool - so I'm not opposed to paying for it. Next time I can go back home, I'll try to get to Prenton Park for at least a match or two.

I'm probably not going to watch the premier league, at least not for a while. The Leeds match was the first Liverpool match I've missed when I was completely able to watch the match in... probably ever. I've missed the odd match or two when I've had to work and I can't get an excuse to lock myself in my office and stream it on my phone (and with working from home so much this year... that's been less of an issue until very recently). I think I'd feel too much resentment about everything that's happened - and really the first dominos for this ESL are probably the Premier League's formation & the various rebranding/reformatting of the CL... I'll probably come back to it at some point... but idk.

I'm interested in watching some of the other leagues I haven't really watched that much of lately (like the Bundesliga - seeing as that's a big league where the clubs stood against the ESL) or ever (the Portuguese league is interesting to me, but I don't think I've ever watched a league match of theirs ever). So I think I'll spend more time on the weekends watching matches from these leagues rather than watching the English football I'm as familiar with & stick with Tranmere as the side I watch with English football.

Like I said above, if there's a full backtrack... I'll still like it when Liverpool win. I spent my whole life supporting this club, I don't like feeling like the club has turned it's back on me (even though it has) and I don't like hating the club right now (not the players, manager, or anyone who works at the club - but the people at the top). But I'm not sure I can ever go back to supporting them the way I did until FSG are gone... and like @LFCMike said... who's going to be buying them from FSG? An oil baron trying to sportswash his human rights abuses and/or launder money? Another venture capitalist group or hedge fund? Basically just someone else with no respect for the culture of the club or English football culture generally.

4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I decided I'd make more of an attempt to support my actual hometown side

Supporting your hometown side is actually so much more rewarding than following a succesful club because they are mostly at the top. I think people know my story by now, but I've only actually found my way back to my hometown side 4-ish years ago. It is more frustrating at times, sure. But the good times feel much more rewarding and in the end, football should be about being to able to identifiy with your club, and having actual ties to it. I've "supported" a club I have no geographical or emotional ties to for years, and now in hindsight it feels like I have just been misguided, and it all feels so wrong. I wish I would have been there when Fortuna Düsseldorf got relegated into the 5th division in the late 90's and stayed in amateur leagues until 2008, I think. Those would have been some solid memories, traveling to obscure little cities to watch them play infront of a few dozen of people. Instead I cheered on a club playing Champions League and spending millions of Euros on player after player who only treated them as a stepping stone after all. Ah well, it always feels good to be home. 

21 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Supporting your hometown side is actually so much more rewarding than following a succesful club because they are mostly at the top. I think people know my story by now, but I've only actually found my way back to my hometown side 4-ish years ago. It is more frustrating at times, sure. But the good times feel much more rewarding and in the end, football should be about being to able to identifiy with your club, and having actual ties to it. I've "supported" a club I have no geographical or emotional ties to for years, and now in hindsight it feels like I have just been misguided, and it all feels so wrong. I wish I would have been there when Fortuna Düsseldorf got relegated into the 5th division in the late 90's and stayed in amateur leagues until 2008, I think. Those would have been some solid memories, traveling to obscure little cities to watch them play infront of a few dozen of people. Instead I cheered on a club playing Champions League and spending millions of Euros on player after player who only treated them as a stepping stone after all. Ah well, it always feels good to be home. 

Tbf I did feel there was a geographical connection, cos LFC is only across the river. And my dad’s from Liverpool, so’s his dad, so’s his dad, etc (although that last ones more familial than geographical xD).

But honestly between our last owners and our current owners with this super league... I do think there’s a connection with the club that’s probably irreparably broken at this point. If this super shite is truly dead in the water, they’ll probably still always be the premier league club I like the most.

But I don’t think I’ll ever really feel the same way about them anymore after this.

Whereas with Tranmere Rovers, even though I’m not a lifelong fan... as someone who’s been far away and sometimes gets very homesick for where he grows up... I think the side from the Wirral & that represents the Wirral and its community is probably a better fit for me in terms of the club I should actually care about.

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Harry said:

Liverpool pulling out gives me no satisfaction or joy. I feel nothing.

The ownership must change and everyone involved in supporting the move to the ESL should be removed from the club.

The same as you but our ownership under the Glazers have been shite since they took over, the only good news for me is that other bag of shite Woodward is going, I would love the Glazer clan to do a runner too.

What pissed me off like others have mentioned in here is how they kept it a secret from managers, players and staff and sat back like a bunch of Roman Emperors and watched the media rip into managers and players asking what they thought about it, these foreign owners nowadays with all their billions can take over a club and do what they fucking want.

I would never turn my back on United full stop if they had played in the tournament but I would have never watched any of the games and just concentrate on the English/Scottish games, here in Scotland, Glasgow Rangers and my local teams, Livingston & Edinburgh City.  

4 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I live in the 9th? Largest city in the nation. No A-League side. xD

How popular is the A-League? I thought it was mildly more popular than it is in the USA (rising in popularity, but still... not very popular). And Australia's really fucking big - I don't know the history of football there... but I assume it's not quite the same as the UK where we've got a pretty small landmass and fucking clubs all over the place.

6 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

How popular is the A-League? I thought it was mildly more popular than it is in the USA (rising in popularity, but still... not very popular). And Australia's really fucking big - I don't know the history of football there... but I assume it's not quite the same as the UK where we've got a pretty small landmass and fucking clubs all over the place.

Not very. I think football is Australias 4th or 5th sport. 

• Subscriber
19 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

12 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Not very. I think football is Australias 4th or 5th sport. 

Top-10 Most Popular Sports In Australia 2021

1. Australian Rules Football
  2. Cricket
  3. American Football
  4. National Rugby League
  5. Golf
  6. Rugby Union
  7. Soccer
  8. Tennis
  9. Basketball
  10. Rugby League

https://sportytell.com/sports/top-10-most-popular-sports-australia/