• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 2021 - Portuguese GP - 30th April-2nd May

football forum

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

So how did everyone else feel about the race? I felt like it was pretty boring, even the lead changes at the start. DRS too powerful again in my opinion. The track is great to watch in qualifying with all the elevation changes, but not good for wheel to wheel racing in these cars.

40 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

So how did everyone else feel about the race? I felt like it was pretty boring, even the lead changes at the start. DRS too powerful again in my opinion. The track is great to watch in qualifying with all the elevation changes, but not good for wheel to wheel racing in these cars.

Absolutely agree with everything you've said. The track looks exciting as long as it's not the race. DRS really annoyed me today. 

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

I enjoyed the opening exchanges, especially Max gunning down Bottas.

Regarding Max, I have a question for you all. Today he made a mistake when hunting down Bottas which allowed Lewis to pounce and take him. If he'd took Bottas then Lewis would have taken a few laps to take Bottas and Max could have pulled away while they battled. Now in the opening race when Max was chasing down Lewis. I felt it was a mistake trying to overtake Lewis where he did. He should have been patient and took him on the main straight. I feel like he's made 2 huge mistakes in the opening 3 races, even so not everyone see's the exceeding track limits in Bahrain as an error.

If the title is close all season, is this an indication of how Max deals with pressure? Or is he simply still young and hasty. I remember a couple of years ago in China when Ricciardo won the race. It was Max's to lose as RB double stacked and beat everyone to the pit stop and had fresh tires for the last third of the race. During the race Max had that collision with Vettel, when all he to do was wait for the main straight to overtake him. After that the other cars would have been easy pickings as Ricciardo shown after the Max/Vettel collision. 

Even the last race in Imola which Max won. Even while leading and beating comfortable. On the radio he was really in panic mode when he just needed to stay calm.

Maybe I'm over reacting, but is Max ready to challenge for a title? Some are saying he may end up being labelled as overrated, but that's harsh in my opinion.

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, MUFC said:

I enjoyed the opening exchanges, especially Max gunning down Bottas.

Regarding Max, I have a question for you all. Today he made a mistake when hunting down Bottas which allowed Lewis to pounce and take him. If he'd took Bottas then Lewis would have taken a few laps to take Bottas and Max could have pulled away while they battled. Now in the opening race when Max was chasing down Lewis. I felt it was a mistake trying to overtake Lewis where he did. He should have been patient and took him on the main straight. I feel like he's made 2 huge mistakes in the opening 3 races, even so not everyone see's the exceeding track limits in Bahrain as an error.

If the title is close all season, is this an indication of how Max deals with pressure? Or is he simply still young and hasty. I remember a couple of years ago in China when Ricciardo won the race. It was Max's to lose as RB double stacked and beat everyone to the pit stop and had fresh tires for the last third of the race. During the race Max had that collision with Vettel, when all he to do was wait for the main straight to overtake him. After that the other cars would have been easy pickings as Ricciardo shown after the Max/Vettel collision. 

Even the last race in Imola which Max won. Even while leading and beating comfortable. On the radio he was really in panic mode when he just needed to stay calm.

Maybe I'm over reacting, but is Max ready to challenge for a title? Some are saying he may end up being labelled as overrated, but that's harsh in my opinion.

I think this is still true, but I also think he made massive improvements in this department in recent years. He's much calmer, less tempered, and makes better decision than he was just two years ago. Don't think it has anything to do with dealing with pressure ; more always pushing to the limit and sometimes still lacking patience. The way I see it, both today and Bahrain were not huge mistakes, but in the end, even smallest mistakes can be decisive so he will surely have to learn and develop further if he's to challenge for the title. 

• Subscriber

Hamilton made a major mistake in Imola too, worse than anything Verstappen has done, and is incredibly lucky to be leading the championship in light of that error. It's early days. Verstappen probably bungled the Bahrain win to an extent but today he managed to get 2nd on a weekend where Mercedes had the faster package and Bottas was more or less on the pace, it's a good result.

I also think the unusual low grip conditions played in Mercedes' favour. Spain is up next and usually acts as a pretty clear indicator of overall performance. If Red Bull are a couple of tenths off Mercedes there then I think they have genuine cause to be worried that their advantage has been eroded already.

25 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Hamilton made a major mistake in Imola too, worse than anything Verstappen has done, and is incredibly lucky to be leading the championship in light of that error. It's early days. Verstappen probably bungled the Bahrain win to an extent but today he managed to get 2nd on a weekend where Mercedes had the faster package and Bottas was more or less on the pace, it's a good result.

I also think the unusual low grip conditions played in Mercedes' favour. Spain is up next and usually acts as a pretty clear indicator of overall performance. If Red Bull are a couple of tenths off Mercedes there then I think they have genuine cause to be worried that their advantage has been eroded already.

True, LEwis made a blunder or 2 in Imola. But how often will Lewis make these mistakes? It's quite rare and after each one he tends to go strong for a pro-long period. 

Watch Lewis now fuck up the next few races lol.

11 hours ago, MUFC said:

True, LEwis made a blunder or 2 in Imola. But how often will Lewis make these mistakes? It's quite rare and after each one he tends to go strong for a pro-long period. 

Watch Lewis now fuck up the next few races lol.

Hamilton makes mistakes very rarely, bc his car(2014-now) is so good he rarely has to drive it at its limit. Do you remember the incident when HAM called Max a 'dickhead'? HAM was on the outside, Max inside when Max rammed him. Max spun, while Hamilton's car stayed completely stable. You don't have to be a theoretical physicist to understand what that implies about their cars.

The same thing happened in a racing incident between Hamilton and Vettel in Italy btw.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived