• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Schalke Relegated from Bundesliga

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Condolences to our Schalke fans. See you next season. :52_fearful:

Well was expected, nonetheless it's a bit bitter it's a loss to Bielefeld of all teams that's the final nail in the coffin, considering it's them who most pundits predicted to be relegated as the worst team.

Just now, nudge said:

Now, I absolutely like mocking Schalke, and this relegation is absolutely deserved, but I must admit I do feel sorry for them a bit... 

Asamoah had tears in his eyes. Made me feel bad for him. :/ 

• The title was changed to Schalke Relegated from Bundesliga
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Didn’t they go far in the CL fairly recently?

A few times last decade. I recall them knocking out inter, and topping a group over Arsenal
I recall a team who had some of the best kits, and best players in Germany. 

I may hate them, but it's a bit bittersweet. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Tommy said:

Schalke players being chased by an angry mob upon arrival at their stadium. :|

Anyone who takes a video vertically needs to be chased by an angry mob, too  

Timo Becker sitting on the bench with tears in his eyes hits home.  I remember watching Leeds being relegated back in 2004... Paul Robinson with his arm around a crying Alan Smith....it sucked.  Can't say Schalke didn't deserve it but I still feel bad for them.  You have to wonder if they will bounce back quickly or if they turn into a Nurnberg/Hamburg/Hannover and stay down for awhile.

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, Coma said:

Timo Becker sitting on the bench with tears in his eyes hits home.  I remember watching Leeds being relegated back in 2004... Paul Robinson with his arm around a crying Alan Smith....it sucked.  Can't say Schalke didn't deserve it but I still feel bad for them.  You have to wonder if they will bounce back quickly or if they turn into a Nurnberg/Hamburg/Hannover and stay down for awhile.

I'm not sure if similar happens in Germany but in the UK it can work both ways

• A team gets relegated after some years of flirting with relegation anyway. On occasion, it can be a 'blessing in disguise'. A chance to get rid of deadwood in the club. A chance to refresh and get back a winning mentality with the right players for a lower 'standard' of league. A chance to rebuild. So when they do come back up, they have better foundations to build on and are ready to establish themselves back in the top division. Recent examples being Aston Villa a couple of years ago, ourselves (Leicester) from Championship to League One bit further back. Between 2004 and 2008 we were hovering just above the relegation zone and eventually dropped; in hindsight the best thing that eventually happened at that time.
    • Other sides like Southampton, West Ham, Wolves have all dropped and eventually came back up to re-establish themselves in the PL. Having said that, I'm well aware one of those sides (Wolves) have had extreme financial backing but nonetheless, they've still stayed up for a few seasons so far. Burnley are probably a good recent example too having come up in 2015/16 and stayed in since...

• The other scenario is going down and not coming back up at the first time of asking. That happens far too often in UK (apart from potentially this season where all 3 relegated last season could come straight back up). Once you get stuck in the Championship it's very difficult to get out of given the stature of some clubs already there. And then worse still is dropping down further. Leeds being a prime example given how long they were out of the PL since 2004. Sheff Utd similar soon after Leeds with both dropping all the way down to League One; Southampton too who were out of the Premier League for several seasons. 

I don't know what Schalke have within them to either come back up straight away or if they'll end up struggling to climb back up for longer than a season...

39 minutes ago, Stan said:

I'm not sure if similar happens in Germany but in the UK it can work both ways

• A team gets relegated after some years of flirting with relegation anyway. On occasion, it can be a 'blessing in disguise'. A chance to get rid of deadwood in the club. A chance to refresh and get back a winning mentality with the right players for a lower 'standard' of league. A chance to rebuild. So when they do come back up, they have better foundations to build on and are ready to establish themselves back in the top division. Recent examples being Aston Villa a couple of years ago, ourselves (Leicester) from Championship to League One bit further back. Between 2004 and 2008 we were hovering just above the relegation zone and eventually dropped; in hindsight the best thing that eventually happened at that time.
    • Other sides like Southampton, West Ham, Wolves have all dropped and eventually came back up to re-establish themselves in the PL. Having said that, I'm well aware one of those sides (Wolves) have had extreme financial backing but nonetheless, they've still stayed up for a few seasons so far. Burnley are probably a good recent example too having come up in 2015/16 and stayed in since...

• The other scenario is going down and not coming back up at the first time of asking. That happens far too often in UK (apart from potentially this season where all 3 relegated last season could come straight back up). Once you get stuck in the Championship it's very difficult to get out of given the stature of some clubs already there. And then worse still is dropping down further. Leeds being a prime example given how long they were out of the PL since 2004. Sheff Utd similar soon after Leeds with both dropping all the way down to League One; Southampton too who were out of the Premier League for several seasons. 

I don't know what Schalke have within them to either come back up straight away or if they'll end up struggling to climb back up for longer than a season...

Seems as though Schalke's finances are in-line with Leeds' finances at the time they went down.  Overpaid for average players, underperformed in the league, and now they're sunk with a huge wage bill and will be picked apart by vultures.

Leeds had valuable players and were selling everything that wasn't bolted down and even then had to declare bankruptcy a few years later.

27 minutes ago, Coma said:

Seems as though Schalke's finances are in-line with Leeds' finances at the time they went down.  Overpaid for average players, underperformed in the league, and now they're sunk with a huge wage bill and will be picked apart by vultures.

Leeds had valuable players and were selling everything that wasn't bolted down and even then had to declare bankruptcy a few years later.

Yeah... that's really not great news for Schalke if they're in the shit as badly as Leeds were.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Several players got beaten up, their cars were damaged. Mental. 

Apparently, some of the players were also followed and harrassed afterwards, too. Mental.

Just now, nudge said:

Apparently, some of the players were also followed and harrassed afterwards, too. Mental.

I heard WhatsApp audio recordings from some of those ultras and people who were there. The police were nowhere to be seen. Even Asamoah got punched. Mike Büskens and Huntelaar were attacked too. One of them sounded so proud that Ralf Fährmann was close to tears after they slapped him in the face several times. Disgusting. 

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I heard WhatsApp audio recordings from some of those ultras and people who were there. The police were nowhere to be seen. Even Asamoah got punched. Mike Büskens and Huntelaar were attacked too. One of them sounded so proud that Ralf Fährmann was close to tears after they slapped him in the face several times. Disgusting. 

What a bunch of asocial idiots

I also heard that the players are absolutely furious that they were simply handed over to the "fans" like that, and left to face them alone. 

Archived