talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Eco said:

Have you been to German Town in Columbus yet? That place is wonderful. 

Columbus can get fucked. It's just a cardboard town halfway between Cleveland and Cincy 😆

Seriously though, there's not much I like about Columbus. There's no real history or culture to speak of. If not for OSU and the state government no one would live there.

Just now, Coma said:

Columbus can get fucked. It's just a cardboard town halfway between Cleveland and Cincy 😆

Seriously though, there's not much I like about Columbus. There's no real history or culture to speak of. If not for OSU and the state government no one would live there.

Ah, I have always loved Columbus. That German section is fantastic. 😄

Just now, Eco said:

I used to make regular trips up there to the brewery district. We'd hit the beers then go to Shadowbox for a show. Those were good times. Been to Schmidt's a few times and the OSU campus once or twice.

7 minutes ago, Eco said:

Actually there is a great Indian place up there, Aab. Best Indian food I've ever had, so I'll give them credit for that.

17 minutes ago, Eco said:

@Coma - Do you use any software for learning? Duolingo? Rosetta Stone? Fluenz? Babbel? 

I love learning languages so I have tried them all I think but like to get everyone's opinion on them. 

I subscribed to both DuoLingo and Babbel initially. I liked DuoLingo better due to its ease of use, although I think Babbel had a larger variety of exercises. The issue I am having is that my listening and speaking skills haven't developed as well as I'd hoped, hence why I signed up for an actual class. Both apps give you a free trial period so I'd try both and see what you think. I do think that my reading and writing is pretty decent.

I signed up for a beginner class even though I'm probably further along than that. I wanted to hear from a native speaker how the language works. I also found that the apps teach you to memorize words and phrases (how), but you don't really get the foundations of the grammar (why).

4 minutes ago, Coma said:

I subscribed to both DuoLingo and Babbel initially. I liked DuoLingo better due to its ease of use, although I think Babbel had a larger variety of exercises. The issue I am having is that my listening and speaking skills haven't developed as well as I'd hoped, hence why I signed up for an actual class. Both apps give you a free trial period so I'd try both and see what you think. I do think that my reading and writing is pretty decent.

I signed up for a beginner class even though I'm probably further along than that. I wanted to hear from a native speaker how the language works. I also found that the apps teach you to memorize words and phrases (how), but you don't really get the foundations of the grammar (why).

Oh, I have used them all. Duolingo, Fluenz, Babbel, Rosetta Stone, and more. I was just curious what you've used. 

I'll likely be signing up for a class here shortly as well. Probably the best way for me to learn. I'm not sure if I'll go with a formal class, or something like iTalki. 

• 1 month later...

Ich habe eine Frage.  When referring to an inanimate object, I always used "es" for "it" as a pronoun.  During my class this past weekend my instructor said that you're supposed to use the gender of the noun you're replacing.  An example:

Haben sie die Landkarte?  Ja, ich habe sie.

I would have answered: Ja, ich habe es.

Is that the same for masculine pronouns as well?  So "es" would only be for neuter nouns?

Haben sie den Stuhl?  Ja, ich habe er.

Wie ist das Wetter?  Es ist sehr sonnig.

12 minutes ago, Coma said:

Ich habe eine Frage.  When referring to an inanimate object, I always used "es" for "it" as a pronoun.  During my class this past weekend my instructor said that you're supposed to use the gender of the noun you're replacing.  An example:

Haben sie die Landkarte?  Ja, ich habe sie.

I would have answered: Ja, ich habe es.

Is that the same for masculine pronouns as well?  So "es" would only be for neuter nouns?

Haben sie den Stuhl?  Ja, ich habe er.

Wie ist das Wetter?  Es ist sehr sonnig.

Correct, it isn't Nominativ but Akkusativ, though.

The response to the question "Haben Sie den Stuhl?" would therefore be "Ja, ich habe ihn."

Nobody said German would be easy to learn.xD

9 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

The response to the question "Haben Sie den Stuhl?" would therefore be "Ja, ich habe ihn."

Dammit.

12 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

I assume that's because the article is "den"?  What about...

Wo ist der strand?  Er ist geradeaus.

I had a meeting yesterday with an ex-coworker friend who was in town and he and his entourage invited my wife and I to dinner with them last night.  One of his engineers was from Austria so we talked about travel and how I was taking German lessons.  I then proceeded to try and speak German with him and instead I managed to fuck it all up and ended up getting flustered.  He was a very pleasant fellow and took it all well, so it was OK, but I was embarrassed. 

Oh well, back to my lessons 🙄.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Coma said:

I had a meeting yesterday with an ex-coworker friend who was in town and he and his entourage invited my wife and I to dinner with them last night.  One of his engineers was from Austria so we talked about travel and how I was taking German lessons.  I then proceeded to try and speak German with him and instead I managed to fuck it all up and ended up getting flustered.  He was a very pleasant fellow and took it all well, so it was OK, but I was embarrassed. 

Oh well, back to my lessons 🙄.

To be honest, the Austrian probably doesn't speak German, either :ph34r:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
21 minutes ago, Coma said:

Found this in an old book store. Anyone know it?

20211217_172336.jpg

Nope. I think the only German children books I've read (except fairy tales) are Max und Moritz, Der Räuber Hotzenplotz, Emil und die Detektive, Die Kleine Hexe, Das kleine Gespenst, and Vom kleinen Maulwurf, der wissen wollte, wer ihm auf den Kopf gemacht hat xD

1 hour ago, Coma said:

Found this in an old book store. Anyone know it?

20211217_172336.jpg

Nope, and don't think the other Geman forum members do know it as well, because we're all from the former FRG. Authors, who moved from West Germany to East Germany for political reasons, weren't popular in West Germany at all.*:)

Edit: *with very few exceptions.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived