• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Faithcore said:

Did someone mention the war?

We are getting ready for one in May but it will only be pens and paper crosses not rifles and guns after which Scotland might still be friends or sink into the North Atlantic under Lady Macbeth's leadership and the  whole of the North will have to learn another language as M Macron will be banning English next!  This gets us back on course in this thread - clever that! The Lego place in Duisburg was great last time I was there - I still have a pic of my young friends sitting on the bench with the lego guy! So schon war die Zeit (sorry no umlauts)

21 hours ago, Coma said:

Curious about umlauts... I don't have access to a German keyboard on my computer.  I read somewhere that if you don't have the umlaut key, just add an "e" after the letter... hence why I've used Koeln a few times.  Yes/no?

You don't need an actual physical  German keyboard, if you use windows you can just change the settings on what language you are using for the keyboard in the time and language in the settings menu. You can even set it so you can change keyboards on the fly with a click of a button.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Coma said:

Ich glaube nicht.

One thing I did notice is that all nouns ending in -ing are feminine.  die Einladung, die wohnung, die verspaetung.  Any other cheats?

german-definite-articles-chart.png

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Words ending on e are feminine like das Ende or der Barbare.:ph34r:

I was just trying to be helpful :( It says "most nouns", to be fair... :P 

You should get rid of the articles altogether, all proper languages doesn't have any :ph34r:

On 22/04/2021 at 18:48, nudge said:

I'm half German but barely spoke any German until my early teens; can very much relate to your struggle with der/die/das xD It gets easier with practice, but  after all these years, I'm still prone to mistakes every now and then, especially when I'm too tired. 

drunk you mean :D

Something else that's been tripping me up recently is the use of "gern".  I'll be asked to translate a sentence, for example:

I like to watch football.

I always default to "Ich mag..." when the correct response seems to be "Ich sehe gern fußball."

On 28/04/2021 at 20:27, Coma said:

Something else that's been tripping me up recently is the use of "gern".  I'll be asked to translate a sentence, for example:

I like to watch football.

I always default to "Ich mag..." when the correct response seems to be "Ich sehe gern fußball."

Actually both is correct, "Ich sehe gern Fußball" is another way to say "Ich mag es, Fußball zu sehen."  The last version should be easier for you as it's almost literally the same as in English.

• 4 weeks later...

This isn't German language related necessarily, but I've been trying to work on my conversational skills so I'll type it in German.

Ich gehe nächste woche im Urlaub.  Ich nehme meinen Kinder und meine Frau nach Yellowstone National Park.  Wir fahren am Samstag und das ist meine erste Ausflug nach Westen.  Ich kann Bilden posten wann Ich zu Hause ankommen.  Der Ausflug ist wirklich lange, Ich glaube viertausend oder mehr Meilen hin und ruck fahrt.  Wir sehen noch wenn meine Frau liebt mich wann wir ankommen! 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived