talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Euro 2020 Preview - Netherlands

football forum

Ā 

šŸ‡³šŸ‡± Netherlands šŸ‡³šŸ‡±

Euro 2020 marks the return of the NetherlandsĀ to a major tournament and, with a squad full ofĀ promising talent, the Oranje will hope they can become kings of Europe again.Ā 

netspa.jpeg.thumb.jpg.10b579ed181559ba9adc3ca7afea3040.jpg

Road to Euro 2020
The Netherlands finished in second place behind Germany. They won six of their eight qualifying games, drawing one and losing only one match in a 3-2 defeat to Germany.

Netherlands scored two or more goals in seven of their eight qualifying games with Georginio Wijnaldum netting six goals in eight games. In total they scored 24 goals in their 8 qualifying games.

0b0e5-16169989109219-800.thumb.jpg.79a69fe8172d93df47cf7b300ab8541f.jpg

What to Expect
Under Robert Koeman, Netherlands displayed some great attacking football with contributions from ten different scorers.Ā Four of these scorers were in fact defenders, which shows exactly how efficient they were fromĀ set-pieces.

Under Frank de Boer however they have struggled to be as efficient in front of goal. The slow build up, over reliance on wing play and inefficient pressing has been the cause of a lot of frustration. This has not been helped by the fact they've had to rely on attacking midfielders as that main attacking options, and of course an injury to the 6ft 3 Virgil Van Dijk who was their biggest threat from set-pieces.

1808326192_Screenshot_20210416-112904_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.41a640836f7c51c4f3e7cbd8624ab9e3.jpg

Possible Lineup
Jasper Cillessen has been first choice Goalkeeper for years and is likely to keep his place if fit.

In defence, Matthijs de Ligt is a guaranteed starter if fit and will be the defensive leader with Virgil van Dijk set to miss out. Stefan de Vrij should start alongside De Ligt whilst Denzel Dumfries is likely to remain first choice right back ahead of Kenny Tete and Rick Karsdrop. Owen Wijndal has started the previous three games at left back and its believed he will keep his place.

A midfield three of Frenkie de Jong, Gjini Wijnaldum and Davy Klaassen seems most likely to start against weaker opposition in the group stages. Martin de Roon is likely to replace Davy Klaasen against more difficult opposition due to his unique ability to effectively break up play consistently. Gini Wijnaldum would more than likely play as a number 10 in these circumstances.

Further up the field, Steven Burghuis did well enough on the right side over the three World Cup qualifying fixtures to assure his place on the right side of midfield. Memphis Depay's place on the left side seems secure, whilst Luuk de Jong's three goals in the previous three qualifiers should be enough to see him regain his place upfront.

0_GettyImages-1229633399.thumb.jpg.5a0c4c54ed9c6002bea864403bf4513e.jpg

Key Player
With eight goals in qualifying the Netherlands Captain in Van Dijk's absenceĀ has becomeĀ one of their most reliable players.Ā Gini Wijnaldum plays an important role by keeping the team together in the middle of the pitch and by emerging further forwardsĀ in pockets of space at the right time.Ā If fit, there will be a lot of responsibility on Gjini Wijnaldum's shoulders as he looks to guide a relatively inexperienced Oranje at major tournaments to future success.

ExwT-x2WUAkXmv7.thumb.jpg.b0df000c2ca5e6ccffd6a2bd23b210ef.jpg

Expectation
Netherlands should have enough quality to see them advance through the group stage and they do have impressive squad depth which could benefit them in the knockout stages. However, Netherlands look like they may struggle to break down tougher opposition and could become unstuck as the tournament progresses.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• The topic was pinned
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, McAzeem said:

I see a draw against Austria rest they'll cruise through the Semis

P. S They ate their own Prime MinisterĀ 

Same thing could have to De Boer like it did with Johan de Witt if we fail badlyĀ >:(

• 2 weeks later...
  • The topic was unpinned
  • 2 weeks later...

Ā 

What is it with Dutch players making music? @Panna King

Ā 

I suppose it really defines the Dutch though. If there are 2 things they excel in and have passion for, it's both football and music.

Electronic music and hip hop, but usually real hip hop, not the shit stuff. In Amsterdam, if you go in a club they are often playing some great trance music and in coffeeshops, 90s eastcoast and underground hip hop.

Ā 

Ā 

8 minutes ago, UNORTHODOX said:

What about good oldĀ DJ rankin? šŸ˜†Ā 

Proper cheesy and I weren't a fan, but his music surely got aboutĀ xD.

Hixxy and Sharkey bonkers CDs were the one in the 90s.

Reminds me of being at secondary school, 30/40 of you walking around the streets with a cd/tape player blasting bonkers out and other happy hardcore tapes/cdsĀ xD

When it comes to my clubbing days though it was more Hard House and Wigan Pier/Maximes, the latter 2 were great places to spend a weekend off your tits even though the music was cheesy.Ā 

Ā 

1 hour ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Proper cheesy and I weren't a fan, but his music surely got aboutĀ xD.

Hixxy and Sharkey bonkers CDs were the one in the 90s.

Reminds me of being at secondary school, 30/40 of you walking around the streets with a cd/tape player blasting bonkers out and other happy hardcore tapes/cdsĀ xD

When it comes to my clubbing days though it was more Hard House and Wigan Pier/Maximes, the latter 2 were great places to spend a weekend off your tits even though the music was cheesy.Ā 

Ā 

Yeah it was absolutely terribleĀ music but that sneijder video just reminded me of those Dj Rankin mash ups.Ā Im from Liverpool so i was always a pleasure rooms guy back in the late 2000ā€™s. Went to pier once and loved it.

1 hour ago, UNORTHODOX said:

Yeah it was absolutely terribleĀ music but that sneijder video just reminded me of those Dj Rankin mash ups.Ā Im from Liverpool so i was always a pleasure rooms guy back in the late 2000ā€™s. Went to pier once and loved it.

Yeah I went to pleasure rooms aswell but only once and also another club in Liverpool called Browns. In Blackpool there was the Syndicate, DNA and a few other clubs and in Preston there were Club Zone and 53 degrees. But Wigan was the main one, specifically Pier and Maximes but also Cricketers and 51st State.Ā Most of them aren't even clubs anymore(and the ones that ate play very different music) but the North West had a great scene then.Ā 

Anyway back on topicĀ xD:-

Ā 

Screenshot-20210621-213846-You-Tube.jpg

@Panna King šŸ¤™

Ā 

22 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Haha that's brilliantĀ 

Haha yes! its from a betting company its quality there used to be a show where they made fun of Sneijder all the time about him being short and doing his celebration against Brazil tapping his head all the time.Ā  The DJS though are very famous from the happy hardcore/Gabber scene have done some good tunes in the past.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

4 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Ā 

Ā 

I suppose it really defines the Dutch though. If there are 2 things they excel in and have passion for, it's both football and music.

Electronic music and hip hop, but usually real hip hop, not the shit stuff. In Amsterdam, if you go in a club they are often playing some great trance music and in coffeeshops, 90s eastcoast and underground hip hop.

Ā 

Ā 

Yeah they seem to be very good at creating a certain sound and experimenting with things.

Ā 

This is Depays biggest song its actually very good like a real artist

Ā 

4 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

This was also a very famous song from years ago about the good and bad of The Netherlands.

Ā 

1 hour ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Yeah I went to pleasure rooms aswell but only once and also another club in Liverpool called Browns. In Blackpool there was the Syndicate, DNA and a few other clubs and in Preston there were Club Zone and 53 degrees. But Wigan was the main one, specifically Pier and Maximes but also Cricketers and 51st State.Ā Most of them aren't even clubs anymore(and the ones that ate play very different music) but the North West had a great scene then.Ā 

Anyway back on topicĀ xD:-

Ā 

Screenshot-20210621-213846-You-Tube.jpg

@Panna King šŸ¤™

Ā 

de Jong has been different class in every match, so comfortable on the ball and has been the best midfielder so far at the Euros along with WijnaldumĀ  they are building a great partnership together, its a shame for the national team that Wijnaldum didnt go to Barcelona as they would have had such a good understanding playing together all the time.Ā 

On 21/06/2021 at 23:12, Panna King said:

de Jong has been different class in every match, so comfortable on the ball and has been the best midfielder so far at the Euros along with WijnaldumĀ  they are building a great partnership together, its a shame for the national team that Wijnaldum didnt go to Barcelona as they would have had such a good understanding playing together all the time.Ā 

Yeah Wijnaldum has been brilliant in this tournament and arguably the best player as he is doing everything well. All over the pitch.

It seems like Barcelona lost out there, although at the same time, the only problem with him going to Barcelona is that it could have affected the young players at the club, who are doing very well. The midfield of de Jong, Pedri and Busquets(with Messi always dropping deep) is very strong. Busquets is coming to the end of his career but has shown that, barring you surround him with young, energetic players, he's still probably got anotherĀ season or 2Ā inĀ him.

For me the Dutch player Barcelona most need is de Ligt as the defence is really poor, other than AraĆŗjo(who is a beast) and de LigtĀ is the perfect fit, eitherĀ him or Laporte, who is wasted at City.Ā 

You have a very good chance inĀ this tournament if you ask me. You should get to the semis minimum if you continue playing as you have been. In fact, I'd say you were favourites to reach the final, as if you beat Czech Republic, you'dĀ face either Wales or Denmark, then one of Germany, England, Sweden or Ukraine in the final. None of these sides above have looked as impressive as the Dutch.

Archived