talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 Qualifying Changes

football forum

• Administrator

Three races for this season but given it's been unanimously agreed by all the teams, it looks set to be a permanent thing.

Not a fan, personally. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

Formula 1 is set to debut the Sprint Qualifying format at three Grands Prix in 2021, following an agreement reached between the FIA, Formula 1 and all 10 teams on the grid – with two European venues and one non-European one set to host the format, with those venues to be announced in due course.

Sprint Qualifying will see the drivers battle it out over 100km on Saturday afternoons of the selected Grand Prix weekends, with the result from Sprint Qualifying then deciding the starting grid for Sunday’s full distance Grand Prix.

The new format will also see the grid for the Sprint Qualifying decided on Friday afternoon, using the current qualifying format, with cars entering Parc Ferme conditions from the start of Friday qualifying – while there’ll be one 60-minute practice session on both Friday and Saturday mornings.

It’s been decided, meanwhile, that the top three finishers in Saturday’s Sprint Qualifying will receive points – three points for first place, two points for second and one point for third.

We are excited by this new opportunity that will bring our fans an even more engaging race weekend in 2021,” said Formula 1 President and CEO Stefano Domenicali. “Seeing the drivers battling it out over three days will be an amazing experience and I am sure the drivers will relish the fight.

“I am delighted that all the teams supported this plan, and it is a testament to our united efforts to continue to engage our fans in new ways while ensuring we remain committed to the heritage and meritocracy of our sport.”

FIA President Jean Todt, meanwhile, commented: “I am pleased to see that Formula 1 is seeking new ways to engage with its fans and enlarge the spectacle of a race weekend through the concept of Sprint Qualifying. It was made possible thanks to the continued collaboration between the FIA, Formula 1, and all of the teams.

“F1 is showing itself to be stronger than ever with all stakeholders working together in this way, and much has been done to ensure that the Sporting, Technical and Financial aspects of the format are fair.”

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.breaking-sprint-qualifying-to-debut-at-three-grands-prix-in-2021-following.1v9LRuPpTk9JXpmE5xK4sK.html

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

The Sprint Qualifying format in full

Friday

• 60-minute First Practice in the morning with two sets of tyres for teams to choose freely
  • Normal Qualifying format in the afternoon with five soft tyre sets available only

Saturday

• 60-minute Second Free Practice in the morning with one set of tyres for teams to choose freely
  • 100km Sprint Qualifying in the afternoon with two sets of tyres for teams to choose freely

Sunday

• Full distance Grand Prix with two remaining sets of tyres

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

How about no?

Reason I say reverse grids for 2 races per season. Last season when Gasly won because the big guns were having issues. It was a really good race. With the big guns trying to fight through the pack, while the best of the rest fight at the front. This makes for a really good battle. Just 2 races per season wouldn't be that bad.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, MUFC said:

Reason I say reverse grids for 2 races per season. Last season when Gasly won because the big guns were having issues. It was a really good race. With the big guns trying to fight through the pack, while the best of the rest fight at the front. This makes for a really good battle. Just 2 races per season wouldn't be that bad.

Reverse grids are an awful, gimmicky way to create entertainment that goes against the sporting principle completely by penalising success, in my opinion. It's fun to watch underdogs win races or fight for podiums for sure, but not when it is artificially manufactured.

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Reverse grids are an awful, gimmicky way to create entertainment that goes against the sporting principle completely by penalising success, in my opinion. It's fun to watch underdogs win races or fight for podiums for sure, but not when it is artificially manufactured.

I understand what you mean as things should be done on merit. But for a couple of races per season is worth the buzz we got when Gasly won last season.

• Subscriber

I'm not a fan, I'm not in much of a mood to waffle on about it but it's been coming for a while, it could be worse.

I just think there are enough racing series out there that have silly gimmicks and unsporting elements to boost the excitement, and I wish F1 as the elite category of motorsport would just be the one series that sticks to being a full-blown sport.

DRS is bad enough for papering over the cracks of the FIA and the sport's failure to change the engineering regulations to enable better racing, yet it has become mainstream and even many F1 purists accept and defend it. I've been saying for years that I'd rather see 10 good overtakes in a race than 200 "overtakes" where one car drives past another one halfway down the pit straight, and no good overtakes at all because drivers wait for the DRS zone instead of taking a risk. How much more exciting would it have been seeing Lewis Hamilton fight back to 4th at Imola with a couple of really brave and creative overtakes instead of driving straight past 5 defenceless rivals to finish 2nd despite making a mistake that cost him *AN ENTIRE LAP* earlier in the race? But F1 doesn't need to cater to me because I'm going to watch it anyway. F1 needs to cater to a broader range of people. Much more stuff like this though and they risk losing the core support of die-hard motor racing purists in favour of a horde of casuals with no attention span and little appreciation of what made the sport the world-leader in motorsport decades ago.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, MUFC said:

I understand what you mean as things should be done on merit. But for a couple of races per season is worth the buzz we got when Gasly won last season.

I don't remember there being a reverse grid or a qualifying race that weekend though, and yet we ended up with Gasly winning a Grand Prix, under the current rules.

F1's critics want to see this every 2-3 races though because "it's boooowwwiiing", and then when we introduce so many gimmicks to a Grand Prix weekend that you might as well pick the race winner's name out of the hat every weekend, the same people will be complaining about something else that doesn't give them instant gratification and what they think is excitement every 4 laps while those of us who used to love the sport either watch on resentfully or just don't watch anymore at all.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

I don't remember there being a reverse grid or a qualifying race that weekend though, and yet we ended up with Gasly winning a Grand Prix, under the current rules.

F1's critics want to see this every 2-3 races though because "it's boooowwwiiing", and then when we introduce so many gimmicks to a Grand Prix weekend that you might as well pick the race winner's name out of the hat every weekend, the same people will be complaining about something else that doesn't give them instant gratification and what they think is excitement every 4 laps while those of us who used to love the sport either watch on resentfully or just don't watch anymore at all.

I know Gasly won without reverse grids, but how often will this happen? My suggestion reverse grids just twice per season, nothing drastic like every 3 races.

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, MUFC said:

I know Gasly won without reverse grids, but how often will this happen? My suggestion reverse grids just twice per season, nothing drastic like every 3 races.

That's always how it starts though. When DRS was first brought in there was going to be one zone, now many tracks have 2 or 3. If more of the Netflix type crowd tune in for the reverse grid weekends then next year it'll be four times a year and in 5 year's time it'll be the default qualifying format.

19 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

That's always how it starts though. When DRS was first brought in there was going to be one zone, now many tracks have 2 or 3. If more of the Netflix type crowd tune in for the reverse grid weekends then next year it'll be four times a year and in 5 year's time it'll be the default qualifying format.

I'll do everything in my power to make sure it's only 2 races per year.

Archived