talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manuel Gräfe / Referee Age Limit in Germany

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, SchalkeUK said:

Great game last night - respect from all players except ratface Sterling.  Sorry we seem to disagree a lot recently, but I put that down to both being totally gutted by the relegation issues.  It could get better if we can both escape together this coming season.  I will be watching  your Zenit game after our 0-0 draw - event though we missed a penalty and could have won it.......:twothumbsup:

Hey, there's nothing wrong with disagreeing! As long as it's all civil... Life would be incredibly boring if everyone agreed and had the same opinion all the time :D

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
33 minutes ago, SchalkeUK said:

Other than Rahim trying his usual lying and cheating tactics

When was this? I don't recall.

I can't imagine it's any worse than what Immobile did. Now that was embarrassing.

On 04/07/2021 at 13:22, SchalkeUK said:

Other than Rahim trying his usual lying and cheating tactics

Is Alan from the future and saw the semis before us? :35_thinking:

• 1 month later...

It's in German (I appologize), still Stark's take on the referee age limit is interesting. Know Stark's performances were questionable at times, still he has a point here. The relevant part are questions 2 to 5 and his replies.

http://www.kicker.de/wolfgang-stark-im-interview-das-das-bei-einem-nicht-gut-ankommt-ist-ganz-klar-867155/artikel

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

It's in German (I appologize), still Stark's take on the referee age limit is interesting. Know Stark's performances were questionable at times, still he has a point here. The relevant part are questions 2 to 5 and his replies.

http://www.kicker.de/wolfgang-stark-im-interview-das-das-bei-einem-nicht-gut-ankommt-ist-ganz-klar-867155/artikel

How about a tldr translation for us plebs :D

1 hour ago, Viva la FCB said:

How about a tldr translation for us plebs :D

Well basically he says, nobody likes to be the person to leave because they're too old to referee according to the limit. Also it's unfortunate to lose a n experienced referee, who's still fit , because of it. On the other hand, though, everybody knew about the age limit, when they joined and profitted from it, when they got their Buli referee spot from somebody else, who retired for it. Finally he says, he's ultimately liking it because it's giving young referees a realistic chance to gain experience at a good level and to promote to the Buli.

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Well basically he says, nobody likes to be the person to leave because they're too old to referee according to the limit. Also it's unfortunate to lose a n experienced referee, who's still fit , because of it. On the other hand, though, everybody knew about the age limit, when they joined and profitted from it, when they got their Buli referee spot from somebody else, who retired for it. Finally he says, he's ultimately liking it because it's giving young referees a realistic chance to gain experience at a good level and to promote to the Buli.

Pretty well weighted way to look at it overall. Im not sure theres a right or wrong answer but it still seems a shame to lose him at the end of the day. 

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
57 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Good for him but I assume theres no talks of changing the rule?

Not yet, wouldn't presume DFB agree on paying compensation to every ref, who follows Gräfe's example after being retired for this rule. Therefore they'll alter it in any case. Whether they'll remove the age limit or try to change it in a way that isn't legally contestable is up in the stars at this point, in my opinion.

I feel like the German standard of refereeing is superior to what I've seen in other leagues (La Liga, EPL).  I wonder if that's because the rule brings in younger refs so that there is a consistent turnover without complacency... or is it just a difference in training that the refs receive?  Hard to say, but to see a ref forced into retirement at the top of his game is a shame.

Archived