Jump to content
talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

    The better place to talk football.

Southampton 1-1 Leicester City - Friday 30th April, 2021


football forums

Recommended Posts

  • Administrator

Kick-off 20.00

Live on Sky Sports

1200px-FC_Southampton.svg.png       VS      image.png

Recent Form
Southampton - LLLWW
Leicester - WWWLL

Last 3 Meetings
18/04/2021 - Leicester 1-0 Southampton (FA Cup)
16/01/2021 - Leicester 2-0 Southampton
11/01/2020 - Leicester 1-2 Southampton

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Unchanged line up for us. Thomas continues to start. Rodgers sticking with the youth, happy with that. Reckon there's a quality player in there which just needs to be developed right. 

Expecting a good game from Maddison. 

 

Ings and Bertrand out for Southampton is big. Diallo had a very good game against us in the league in January if I remember correctly. Another decent player. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Two big points dropped by Leicester there. It's 80mins v 10 men.

And ultimately, they really seemed to struggle to create enough clear cut chances.

Couple openings here and there, few long range efforts too but it was all bread and butter stuff for McCarthy, nothing at full stretch.

And that's what will disappoint Rodgers the most I think. Perhaps Leicester needed a bit more variety to their play, maybe that is where they need a big man to bring on with a physical presence.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber

That's pretty terrible. Ten men for 80 minutes against one of the leagues most out of form sides and we do that. I don't think we'll have any trouble making the Champions League still - but the biggest drawback about that result is that we're now probably not going to be able to rest many at Old Trafford three days before the final, and that's a blow, that was a chance for some breathing space, we had a huge incident go our way in the 10th minute and completely failed to take advantage.

Infuriating.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The title was changed to Southampton 1-1 Leicester City - Friday 30th April, 2021
  • Administrator
2 hours ago, Lucas said:

Two big points dropped by Leicester there. It's 80mins v 10 men.

And ultimately, they really seemed to struggle to create enough clear cut chances.

Couple openings here and there, few long range efforts too but it was all bread and butter stuff for McCarthy, nothing at full stretch.

And that's what will disappoint Rodgers the most I think. Perhaps Leicester needed a bit more variety to their play, maybe that is where they need a big man to bring on with a physical presence.

Most sides would against one that goes ultra-defensive and stick 10 men behind the ball, and happy to let us have the ball around the halfway line :what:.

I'm disappointed we couldn't win today, let alone it being against 10 men, and I did expect more from some players. Weirdly I think we see a better performance from us if Southampton don't have a man sent off and play a bit more openly, therefore giving us that extra space in their half. 

It's game like this where we do miss Barnes. I don't even think it's as simple as just having a big man on to come and change the game. Our wing-backs didn't do enough to stretch their defence or go at their full-backs. Having Barnes on means we have a player to run at their defenders and we didn't see enough of that today. Barnes adds that variety. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The topic was unpinned
10 hours ago, Dan said:

That's pretty terrible. Ten men for 80 minutes against one of the leagues most out of form sides and we do that. I don't think we'll have any trouble making the Champions League still - but the biggest drawback about that result is that we're now probably not going to be able to rest many at Old Trafford three days before the final, and that's a blow, that was a chance for some breathing space, we had a huge incident go our way in the 10th minute and completely failed to take advantage.

Infuriating.

Not sure crossing the ball into a box of ten defenders is really the answer.

Variety isn’t just having a big man, when teams with the big man lose you never hear people talk about how they needed a few short and quick midfielders to open them up.

Marcelo should have taught you better Lucas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Storts said:

Just seen it ... how on earth was that a red. Shocking decision 

Cos he was studs up and stretching? Think if he had control of the ball he’d stay on the pitch, but cos he lost control and was stretching out before clamping him you could say it’s reckless, and then cos it’s reckless he’s the last man back and it’s a foul, has to go.

It’s definitely a foul imo, if he had full control of his body/the ball and Vardy ran into him it’d be a different story

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber
4 hours ago, Danny said:

Cos he was studs up and stretching? Think if he had control of the ball he’d stay on the pitch, but cos he lost control and was stretching out before clamping him you could say it’s reckless, and then cos it’s reckless he’s the last man back and it’s a foul, has to go.

It’s definitely a foul imo, if he had full control of his body/the ball and Vardy ran into him it’d be a different story

 

No chance for me. Played the ball on the stretch back to his keeper. Another very poor decision 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber
On 01/05/2021 at 09:06, Danny said:

Not sure crossing the ball into a box of ten defenders is really the answer.

Variety isn’t just having a big man, when teams with the big man lose you never hear people talk about how they needed a few short and quick midfielders to open them up.

Marcelo should have taught you better Lucas

We just didn't really have any width. I think the youngster Thomas is struggling a little bit lately. He'll be a good player but he's not quite there yet.

We were too pedestrian for large parts. I think we just had the attitude of "the goal will come" before we hit the hour mark and then go 1-0 down. It's a shame we didn't show that kind of attitude at 0-0.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber
On 01/05/2021 at 09:09, Danny said:

Cos he was studs up and stretching? Think if he had control of the ball he’d stay on the pitch, but cos he lost control and was stretching out before clamping him you could say it’s reckless, and then cos it’s reckless he’s the last man back and it’s a foul, has to go.

It’s definitely a foul imo, if he had full control of his body/the ball and Vardy ran into him it’d be a different story

 

 

 

shock horror, never a red 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrator

Whether we agree or not, that's now twice in 2 games that a red card has been overturned despite VAR getting involved. Not a good show for VAR - I expect it will stay and hang around so in which case I hope a lot of things are clarified over the summer so that we don't get nowhere near as many embarrassing calls as we've had this season. There has to be better training for the referees to make better judgements.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Storts said:

 

 

shock horror, never a red 

If you win the ball first and then catch the player afterwards like he did it’s a foul, he lost control of the ball so the next effort was to win control of it again. Literally the same premise as a tackle, stamps on Vardy’s ankle in the process and is the last man back. Foul and a red tbh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber

Didn't think it was a red card and think it's one of them that slow motion replay have made look worse than it was. I reckon if you watched most slide tackles back in slow motion, the contact would probably look more painful than it actually is.

I wasn't comfortable with that being a red card and bloody hell it went our way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Dan said:

Didn't think it was a red card and think it's one of them that slow motion replay have made look worse than it was. I reckon if you watched most slide tackles back in slow motion, the contact would probably look more painful than it actually is.

I wasn't comfortable with that being a red card and bloody hell it went our way.

It's whether you see it as a foul, if yes then it's a red card cos he was the last man back.

Tbh I'm not bothered either way but the arguments fun

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Danny said:

It's whether you see it as a foul, if yes then it's a red card cos he was the last man back.

Tbh I'm not bothered either way but the arguments fun

I personally didn't even think it was a foul. You are right though, if it's a foul, it probably has to be a red.

I was watching with a few and we were all a mix of laughter and shock at it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

Sign up or subscribe to remove this ad.


×
×
  • Create New...