Jump to content
talkfootball365

Kristoffer Ajer - Joins Brentford From Celtic


Recommended Posts

Seems very likely to leave Celtic during the summer. No disrespect to Newcastle, but I'd be surprised if he didn't end up with a much better team than they are currently.

Very good defender, who is very comfortable with the ball and can play into midfield. Has been a victim of his ability at times, with various stages being playing at full back.

Would be good enough to play in a two man central defence, but looked at his best in a three man defence enabling him to get forward.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We were linked last summer and last winter window, more-so through the Rodgers link probably though. Although the fact he can play in a 3-man defence could be another reason why we might have some genuine interest...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The saltiness from Celtic fans online ranging from "who the fuck are Brentford?" to "how can they even afford him?" has made these transfer bids worth it, even if we don't sign him it's nice to be rattling big clubs again. It's like starting in the Championship all over again.

Edited by Danny
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Danny said:

The saltiness from Celtic fans online ranging from "who the fuck are Brentford?" to "how can they even afford him?" has made these transfer bids worth it, even if we don't sign him it's nice to be rattling big clubs again. It's like starting in the Championship all over again.

Must be exciting times to be a Brentford fan, how do you see this going if you don't mind me asking?

I don't know that much about the owners etc.. 

Is this project likely to maintain Premier League statues and build from their or is it a case of lets enjoy it whilst we are here and hopefully get as many seasons as possible (Norwich style). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Devil said:

Must be exciting times to be a Brentford fan, how do you see this going if you don't mind me asking?

I don't know that much about the owners etc.. 

Is this project likely to maintain Premier League statues and build from their or is it a case of lets enjoy it whilst we are here and hopefully get as many seasons as possible (Norwich style). 

It's positive, even if we were to get relegated it'd still be positive imo. We won't be making signings that will bankrupt us, will be signing players that have good sell on value and can improve the starting eleven now whilst also trying to focus on a higher calibre of young player for our B team.

I think our defence can only improve, last season it was difficult because we lost Jansson for long periods and then we lost our back up centre back to him too. The season before we had one of the best records in the Championship, last season not so much, but if we bring in Ajer or someone that good then I think defensively we will be solid this season. Both Ethan Pinnock and Rico Henry are more than good enough to play at this level, Christian Norgaard too (motm against England for Denmark in the Nations League last season).

We seem to be actively improving our midfield and the athleticism in it with the expected arrival of Frank Onyeka from FC Midtylland and potentially signing another of their midfielders.

For me next season is just a battle to stay up, anything else is a bonus. You have to look and see who we might survive in the league over and I think we're probably likely to see Watford, Newcastle and Palace struggle. With that said if we do go down we'll have the finances and the smarts to mount another serious challenge for a long term goal that is now Premier League security.

 

Edited by Danny
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Danny said:

It's positive, even if we were to get relegated it'd still be positive imo. We won't be making signings that will bankrupt us, will be signing players that have good sell on value and can improve the starting eleven now whilst also trying to focus on a higher calibre of young player for our B team.

I think our defence can only improve, last season it was difficult because we lost Jansson for long periods and then we lost our back up centre back to him too. The season before we had one of the best records in the Championship, last season not so much, but if we bring in Ajer or someone that good then I think defensively we will be solid this season. Both Ethan Pinnock and Rico Henry are more than good enough to play at this level, Christian Norgaard too (motm against England for Denmark in the Nations League last season).

We seem to be actively improving our midfield and the athleticism in it with the expected arrival of Frank Onyeka from FC Midtylland and potentially signing another of their midfielders.

For me next season is just a battle to stay up, anything else is a bonus. You have to look and see who we might survive in the league over and I think we're probably likely to see Watford, Newcastle and Palace struggle.

 

Yeah, I get that. So many clubs have tried to come up and throw money at it only for it to fail anyway. 

Personally I've always found that keeping the squad that got you promoted with a few additions is the way to go, like you say you know it's likely a relegation fight but you're not saddling yourself with a higher wage bill and players that will be actively looking for a transfer. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Devil said:

Yeah, I get that. So many clubs have tried to come up and throw money at it only for it to fail anyway. 

Personally I've always found that keeping the squad that got you promoted with a few additions is the way to go, like you say you know it's likely a relegation fight but you're not saddling yourself with a higher wage bill and players that will be actively looking for a transfer. 

 

Yeah, our squad largely is players around 23-26 who still have improvement left in them and the reason a lot of them would have been bought is because we believe they can step up to this level. I wouldn't expect to see massive changes to the first team, but with that said it's likely we'll 3-5 new players who will be going in and out of it in a rotation with players we already have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Danny said:

Yeah, our squad largely is players around 23-26 who still have improvement left in them and the reason a lot of them would have been bought is because we believe they can step up to this level. I wouldn't expect to see massive changes to the first team, but with that said it's likely we'll 3-5 new players who will be going in and out of it in a rotation with players we already have.

How do you think Toney will make the step up?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Devil said:

How do you think Toney will make the step up?

Physically will be good enough and he has the mentality to play at this level, I think he'll be fine. We'll create chances for him and he will score, not as many as last season but we've seen Bamford and Watkins both make the step-up last season so don't see why he can't.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

 

Not announced yet but journos been saying it’s completed all day.

A midfield option as well as CB, smart buy.

There has been a very weird reaction from a lot of Celtic fans online, moaning that the only reason we have bought him is cos of money...which is true...it’s also the same reason why they dominate the SPL xD

Edited by Danny
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Danny said:

There has been a very weird reaction from a lot of Celtic fans online, moaning that the only reason we have bought him is cos of money...which is true...it’s also the same reason why they dominate the SPL xD

xD how do they think clubs typically sign players?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

xD how do they think clubs typically sign players?

There is definitely a dislike for the Prem in general for these types of fans, and I can imagine watching a giant club like Celtic compete in a league that overall is Championshipish level...and then having to watch their players want to leave for a club that a decade or so ago was in League 1 can be pretty irritating.

But the hypocrisy around the money being spent is laughable and not only that but the fact that we are run a million times better as a club then Celtic are makes the claims even more laughable.

But this is what happened in the Championship, fans from Leeds, Forest, Wednesday etc slating us, “teams like Brentford” as we first appear on their radar and then after a few years a level of respect is earned because of how we operate. Just funny watching the process begin again now we go up a division.

Want to make clear that this isn’t all Celtic fans, or even most, just your general Twitter fan.

Edited by Danny
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Danny said:

Not announced yet but journos been saying it’s completed all day.

A midfield option as well as CB, smart buy.

There has been a very weird reaction from a lot of Celtic fans online, moaning that the only reason we have bought him is cos of money...which is true...it’s also the same reason why they dominate the SPL xD

Celtic fans are arrogant towards all Premier League clubs outside the top six to the point now where it comes across as delusional. This summer when Eddie Howe was linked with Palace they were giving it the "LMAO Palace!!" only for Eddie to turn them down anyway.

When I said a couple of years ago McGreggor wouldn't be a good signing for Crystal Palace on a Sky Sports post I had about ten people reply "Who the fuck are Palace?". I politely reminded that we were the club that signed one of their best players in Joe Ledley pretty quickly after their Barcelona Cup Final.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Celtic fans produced a meltdown like no other when we took Rodgers. I think without sounding a dick the majority of that is just a sad realisation that they're trapped a bit in that league. The fact Leicester can take their manager (they took ours in 2000) and Brentford can sign their first choice players. It makes it hit home a bit where they really stand now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The title was changed to Kristoffer Ajer - Joins Brentford From Celtic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

football forum
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...