talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What Was The Last Album You Listened To?

football forum

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Spike said:

@Dr. Gonzo This isn't metal and I know you probably won't like it but I love this album. It has to be the most aggressive and raw album ever!

Certainly very very aggressive and raw - a different kind of aggression and rawness to metal - but the music definitely is carrying those sort of emotions with it. Currently on track #3, I liked #2 "Big Strong Boss" though - around 1:20 into the song the guitar sort of picks up that higher pitch while keeping that dissonant sound, all while the drum keeps pounding like a wrench hitting sheet metal, pretty interesting way of tension building in music.

This isn't metal - but it certainly feels like it might have influenced some metal bands. How old is the album? Sort of reminds me of early Napalm Death, which isn't really my cup of tea... but without Napalm Death, the world wouldn't have had Carcass and I love Carcass. I wonder if the lads from Napalm Death were influenced by it.

It's not something I'd really listen to on a regular basis, but it's not a bad album at all. It's carrying a lot of fucking emotion with the music in a really unique way. What genre does this fall under? Post-rock/post-punk? - I've never really liked those genre labels because they can mean almost anything. But this is definitely interesting - I'm currently on track #4 now; my friend likes some of this kind of music though I'm going to ask if he's heard of them.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Certainly very very aggressive and raw - a different kind of aggression and rawness to metal - but the music definitely is carrying those sort of emotions with it. Currently on track #3, I liked #2 "Big Strong Boss" though - around 1:20 into the song the guitar sort of picks up that higher pitch while keeping that dissonant sound, all while the drum keeps pounding like a wrench hitting sheet metal, pretty interesting way of tension building in metal.

This isn't metal - but it certainly feels like it might have influenced some metal bands. How old is the album? Sort of reminds me of early Napalm Death, which isn't really my cup of tea... but without Napalm Death, the world wouldn't have had Carcass and I love Carcass. I wonder if the lads from Napalm Death were influenced by it.

It's not something I'd really listen to on a regular basis, but it's not a bad album at all. It's carrying a lot of fucking emotion with the music in a really unique way. What genre does this fall under? Post-rock/post-punk? - I've never really liked those genre labels because they can mean almost anything. But this is definitely interesting - I'm currently on track #4 now; my friend likes some of this kind of music though I'm going to ask if he's heard of them.

The album was recorded in 1983 and is labled under 'No Wave'; which you can probably ascertain it's meant to be the polar opposite of 'New Wave' which was very popular at the time. I think the album is 'fun'; not fun in the sense a dance track is 'fun' but for me it sounds like a bunch of young men having 'fun' making the most sonically abrasive album while still retaining a semblance of 'order' and 'music structure'. Just try and tell me it wouldn't be fun smashing out that percussion! The band evolved beyond 'No Wave' into more Post-Punk style and Gothic Rock; eventually capitulating into the world of more ambient 'Post-Rock'. Check these songs out for a comparison.

8 minutes ago, Spike said:

The album was recorded in 1983 and is labled under 'No Wave'; which you can probably ascertain it's meant to be the polar opposite of 'New Wave' which was very popular at the time. I think the album is 'fun'; not fun in the sense a dance track is 'fun' but for me it sounds like a bunch of young men having 'fun' making the most sonically abrasive album while still retaining a semblance of 'order' and 'music structure'. Just try and tell me it wouldn't be fun smashing out that percussion! The band evolved beyond 'No Wave' into more Post-Punk style and Gothic Rock; eventually capitulating into the world of more ambient 'Post-Rock'. Check these songs out for a comparison.

Wow they changed a lot, as soon as "God damn the Sun" started... it's stylistically so much different to everything off Filth. I think the word "raw" you used... is the perfect encapsulation of Filth as an album; and you're right, it does sound like it was fun for them to make - especially the drums. Comparing that to "Screen Shot" and it's miles away, Screen Shot sounds like something Lou Reed might have written & something my dad would love.

Cool band though. Not necessarily something I could binge listen to, but even in that sonic "chaos" of Filth I think they do a lot of deliberate things to build tension. Normally in music, when you build tension through things like creating dissonance, pitch shifts, or the volume changes... that tension is built up and the musician then "resolves" the music. Filth is one of the few albums that I've heard that (with some tracks, not all) embraces the dissonance and the tension it creates and they don't bother to resolve it. And that's an interesting artistic they approach and I think it fits the music very well. Even on Screen Shot, the end of it, I think they build tension... and it's abruptly resolved by that last note they let ring out.

Also when I texted my friend just now to see if he knew them... he just responded to me with "of course I have, they're legends." xD He says Children of God is one of his favourite albums. In your opinion, is that a good one? Maybe I'll put that on tonight when I get home from work and get nice and stoned.

Cheers for the music recommendation. While I absolutely fucking love heavy metal... I always love hearing stuff I haven't heard before and exploring artists I don't really know a thing about. Good music is good music, even if not everything that's good is going to be everyone's cup of tea, always worth checking music people recommend and making your own view on it.

And as for the last album I listened to... it was Filth by Swans lol - but before that I'd just given this one a spin:

Frank+Zappa+-+The+Grand+Wazoo.jpg

I fucking love Frank Zappa.

16 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Wow they changed a lot, as soon as "God damn the Sun" started... it's stylistically so much different to everything off Filth. I think the word "raw" you used... is the perfect encapsulation of Filth as an album; and you're right, it does sound like it was fun for them to make - especially the drums. Comparing that to "Screen Shot" and it's miles away, Screen Shot sounds like something Lou Reed might have written & something my dad would love.

Cool band though. Not necessarily something I could binge listen to, but even in that sonic "chaos" of Filth I think they do a lot of deliberate things to build tension. Normally in music, when you build tension through things like creating dissonance, pitch shifts, or the volume changes... that tension is built up and the musician then "resolves" the music. Filth is one of the few albums that I've heard that (with some tracks, not all) embraces the dissonance and the tension it creates and they don't bother to resolve it. And that's an interesting artistic they approach and I think it fits the music very well. Even on Screen Shot, the end of it, I think they build tension... and it's abruptly resolved by that last note they let ring out.

Also when I texted my friend just now to see if he knew them... he just responded to me with "of course I have, they're legends." xD He says Children of God is one of his favourite albums. In your opinion, is that a good one? Maybe I'll put that on tonight when I get home from work and get nice and stoned.

Cheers for the music recommendation. While I absolutely fucking love heavy metal... I always love hearing stuff I haven't heard before and exploring artists I don't really know a thing about. Good music is good music, even if not everything that's good is going to be everyone's cup of tea, always worth checking music people recommend and making your own view on it.

And as for the last album I listened to... it was Filth by Swans lol - but before that I'd just given this one a spin:

Frank+Zappa+-+The+Grand+Wazoo.jpg

I fucking love Frank Zappa.

I actually haven't listened to 'Children of God' yet but I do know that it's the sort of 'middle point' in their career, where one can see glimpses of all their styles. I actually picked it up today and was going to listen to it tonight as well. I'm not too into metal but I can guarantee you I've listened to a lot, so I know the general ins and outs of the major bands. I've been there and done: Slayer, Metaliica, Judas Priest, Megadeth, Iron Maidan, Black Sabbath, Anthrax, Pantera, Motorhead, Dio, and less 'metal' bands like: Tool, RATM, SOAD, Motley Crue, G'NR, Korn, et al. It was music of my early adolescence which more or less evolved into more Post-Punk and New Wave bands and influence contemporaries (think Joy Division, Interpol, Modest Mouse, The Strokes, New Order, The Cure, Dinosaur Jr., Built To Spill, yadda yadda yadda). But my interest in metal came to a logical conclusion with 'noise rock' bands like the following Steve Albini certified bands.

I actually haven't listened to much Zappa, but I do like 'Trout Mask Replica' by Captain Beefheart.

Captain Beefheart is another legend. He's on a few Zappa albums, weird guy (just like Zappa lol) but really really talented. Metal was also the music of my adolescence... but I never grew out of it. My love for fast riffs and pulsing drums keeps me firmly addicted to metal.

• Administrator
Just now, Cannabis said:

Any good? Was pottering around the house and a song from it came on, made a mental note to give the full release a go.

not bad. I'm a fan - the songs they've released individually do stand out (Holy and Sinner). At times it reminds me of their old stuff (Fools and Worthless Liars). At other times there's similarities to The 1975 (more the music and beats than the vocals). 

I quite like Ritual and Hell though. It's a good listen overall. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One of the young boys I had in school is now playing Bass with a group in Sheffield - Hazell - if you get chance to look them up you might be pleasantly surprised.  Young Alex was brilliant and totally respectful growing up and that respect shows in the way the treats his music!

• Administrator
34 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Class album mate, probably a 1/10 behind White Noise but still brilliant. Favourite song @Stan?

Toss up between Heaven, What's Wrong and No Mercy.

Is your No mercy the Marty and Ariel gang from the mid 90's in Germany?.  They were a great bunch of young guys when they 'broke through' in Oberhausen and this is the first time I have found anyone outside Germany who has mentioned them. Probably more likely to be the US 'thrash' gang from the 80's, but both, in their own way, very listenable!  Ariel's bro Gabriel's guitar playing was almost classical at times

Archived