• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 2021 - Spanish GP - 7th-9th May

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The topic was pinned
  • Subscriber

If its true that Mercedes did better then expected in Portugal due to milder temperatures. I hope it's roasting in Spain lol, apparently they will have issues during hotter races. 

• Subscriber

Missed qualifying again but some takeaways.

I know everyone loves and hypes Tsunoda but he's actually been pretty average so far (forgivable for a rookie). I wouldn't really criticise him in the circumstances but what gets me about him is the way he mouths off about other drivers and at his engineer at the slightest provocation. Comes across as a bit entitled and hot-headed. Got some way to go to win me over and needs to calm down.

Schumacher out qualified a Williams for the first time I believe. Decent start from him in F1 in difficult circumstances.

Ocon really upping his game so far this year. Good effort from Alpine to get two cars into the top ten.

Verstappen and Red Bull have to be so annoyed. Third pole in a row for Mercedes and yes there was only a whisker in it, but Mercedes have at least caught Red Bull up already, if not got their noses in front, having had a clear deficit during pre season testing. They will have expected Mercedes to catch them up and or close the gap completely but not this quickly. They won't have said it out loud but Verstappen will be frustrated that he didn't at least get the first 5-6 races to enjoy having the best car and rack up a but of a points gap. Perez clearly has a higher ceiling than Albon did but he hasn't managed to put a weekend together yet so in terms of challenging Mercedes, bringing him in has made no difference. Another poor qualifying today.

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Missed qualifying again but some takeaways.

I know everyone loves and hypes Tsunoda but he's actually been pretty average so far (forgivable for a rookie). I wouldn't really criticise him in the circumstances but what gets me about him is the way he mouths off about other drivers and at his engineer at the slightest provocation. Comes across as a bit entitled and hot-headed. Got some way to go to win me over and needs to calm down.

Schumacher out qualified a Williams for the first time I believe. Decent start from him in F1 in difficult circumstances.

Ocon really upping his game so far this year. Good effort from Alpine to get two cars into the top ten.

Verstappen and Red Bull have to be so annoyed. Third pole in a row for Mercedes and yes there was only a whisker in it, but Mercedes have at least caught Red Bull up already, if not got their noses in front, having had a clear deficit during pre season testing. They will have expected Mercedes to catch them up and or close the gap completely but not this quickly. They won't have said it out loud but Verstappen will be frustrated that he didn't at least get the first 5-6 races to enjoy having the best car and rack up a but of a points gap. Perez clearly has a higher ceiling than Albon did but he hasn't managed to put a weekend together yet so in terms of challenging Mercedes, bringing him in has made no difference. Another poor qualifying today.

Perez needs to realize that flying through the pack to finish 4th, will only look good for so long before it wears off.

As funny as it was, Yuki having a pop at his team/engineers after being in the sport for five minutes doesn't really sit well with me. Even if it was Hamilton or Verstappen I just don't think it's really acceptable. 

Bit of an average qualy, a bit annoying how Perez (who I'm sure will come good) just can't seem to put a weekend together. At the moment you could put him in the same bracket as Albon and Gasly with what he has achieved, just a bit forgettable at the moment.

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Stupid strategy from Red Bull. 

Lucky Lulu strikes again. 

Wasn't stupid strategy. They had no choice with the second fastest car. The problem for them today is that Perez wasn't there. He needed to be within a pit stop of Hamilton to prevent the free second stop.

Bigger issue though is that the Mercedes has a clear pace advantage now. Even if Perez spends the rest of the season following 5 seconds behind Max, the championship is gone if they can't win the development race. The pace gap seems to be slightly wider in the race than qualifying.

• Subscriber
15 hours ago, MUFC said:

Max is going to win the Spanish GP and in Monaco next week.

If it wasn't for that second pit-stop from Lewis it could have happened. Dreadlock stupid prick.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived