talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea (3) 2-0 (1) Real Madrid - Wednesday 5th May, 2021 (2nd Leg)

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Ahem, because the US have square root of nothing to do with UEFA? Or to put it another way, for the same reason Copa Libertadores isn't played in fucking China.

Well, a Libertadores final was played in Madrid. 😬

The final has to be moved to England, in any other circumstances then its stays in the country of choice but given there won't be any benefit to the local businesses it makes sense to give Istanbul the final at a later date. 

Move it to Villa Park, half way house for both teams and big enough to accommodate 7 thousand of each clubs fans. 

Just now, El Profesor said:

Well, a Libertadores final was played in Madrid. 😬

That's unfortunate. but literally no European club could explain their fans to play an important Continental final in such a different time zone, especially when fans are banned from travelling.

1 minute ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

That's unfortunate. but literally no European club could explain their fans to play an important Continental final in such a different time zone, especially when fans are banned from travelling.

Fair enough. 

6 minutes ago, Devil said:

Extreme circumstances. 

Sure, but Conmebol moved it specifically to Madrid in an effort to bring more international visibility to the competition.

7 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Fair enough. 

Sure, but Conmebol moved it specifically to Madrid in an effort to bring more international visibility to the competition.

Genuine question: When was this and did South American fans protest? Because here in Europe the officials responsible for such a decision would be under consistent critcism and in some countries even in danger of physical assault.

Just now, Rucksackfranzose said:

Genuine question: When was this and did South American fans protest? Because here in Europe the officials responsible for such a decision would be under consistent critcism and in some countries even in danger of physical assault.

south american fans have less of a stick up their arse than europeans, brian notwithstanding

18 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

There was almost no protest. 

Many actually viewed as a good opportunity to market the competition. 

To be honest, I'm all in favor of getting mexican and MLS teams to play the Libertadores. 

I also think it's a really good idea to host Copa America in the US, like that 2016 edition. 

Our football badly needs to generate more revenue and get more international exposure. 

17 minutes ago, Spike said:

south american fans have less of a stick up their arse than europeans, brian notwithstanding

I'd say lots of south americans football fans like me want our teams to get a piece of the north american and asian cake.

3 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

There was almost no protest. 

Many actually viewed as a good opportunity to market the competition. 

To be honest, I'm all in favor of getting mexican and MLS teams to play the Libertadores. 

I also think it's a really good idea to host Copa America in the US, like that 2016 edition. 

Our football badly needs to generate more revenue and get more international exposure. 

I'd say lots of south americans football fans like me want our teams to get a piece of the north american and asian cake.

Europeans want to hoard their teams, South Americans want to share. ;)

6 minutes ago, Spike said:

Europeans want to hoard their teams, South Americans want to share. ;)

Definitely. 

You know, there is this american girl, I think she is 10. 

Her dad bought her a Palmeiras shirt during a business trip to Brazil. She posted it online and began to interact with Palmeiras fans. 

Now, she has more than 10.000 followers on Instagram and appeared on TV several times. Palmeiras fans love her. 

It's one individual case but it kinda shows how open and how bad south american fans want their teams to build a broader international fanbase.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived