talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Europa League 2020/21 - Arsenal (1) 0-0 (2) Villarreal - Thursday 6th May, 2021 (2nd Leg)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Dani Parejo is the most underrated midfielder of our lifetime in my opinion. Shame he was competing with the golden generation during his prime. 

It is quite offensive that Valencia let him leave to Vilarreal of all places

Just now, Stan said:

Ironic they've lost to Emery. 

Happy for him, he wasnt the right man for the job and was rightly let go but the way Arsenal fans took the piss and abused him left a bitter taste for me. Just because someone wasn't good enough doesn't justify the was some fans acted towards him. He is clearly a very good coach, this is his perfect level and another amazing Europa run. 

Feel bad for Arteta. I get the cry's for him to be sacked in the current circumstances but we are talking about a club that have been on the decline for years. The squad he inherited was shocking.

Bare in mind they haven't competed for the League for ages, equally haven't played Champions League for a while, this has been coming, it was only a matter of time. I don't see how he should have corrected that situation so quickly.

The squad contains far too many average players and you need a good 3 or 4 windows to correct that kind of mess.

The only thing I would agree on is his stubborness. It's yesterday's Fish and Chip paper now but I'd still never have cast out Ozil like that. I think he's got more creativity in one ballbag than the rest of the Arsenal squad.

And tonight was a perfect example of that. Who do you turn to when you need something creating? Because they took far too long to get going.

Perhaps he needs to stop being so over cautious too. He's put great emphasis on tightening up the goals Arsenal used to leak on a regular basis but he's struggled to find a balance that allows them to look dangerous going forward.

9 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Arsenal win the FA Cup: Arteta 

Arsenal finish 10th and no Europe: The players. 

OK. 

If that is aimed at me (and I will assume that as that's hastily following my comment without quotation) I didn't say Arteta won them the FA Cup. Those words do not appear in my post anywhere. That's like having The Sun newspaper read your quote and print a story xD

But I am saying he has an awful squad. 100%.

Aubameyang for example, has been a shadow of himself since signing a new contract. How can you account for that as a manager when he is supposed to be your top man?

Arteta isn't blameless in all this either, but perspective is needed here. This is a tough rebuild job needed and he has walked into a horrible state.

15 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Feel bad for Arteta. I get the cry's for him to be sacked in the current circumstances but we are talking about a club that have been on the decline for years. The squad he inherited was shocking.

Bare in mind they haven't competed for the League for ages, equally haven't played Champions League for a while, this has been coming, it was only a matter of time. I don't see how he should have corrected that situation so quickly.

The squad contains far too many average players and you need a good 3 or 4 windows to correct that kind of mess.

The only thing I would agree on is his stubborness. It's yesterday's Fish and Chip paper now but I'd still never have cast out Ozil like that. I think he's got more creativity in one ballbag than the rest of the Arsenal squad.

And tonight was a perfect example of that. Who do you turn to when you need something creating? Because they took far too long to get going.

Perhaps he needs to stop being so over cautious too. He's put great emphasis on tightening up the goals Arsenal used to leak on a regular basis but he's struggled to find a balance that allows them to look dangerous going forward.

Blame the squad all you want, I don't particularly like many of them but if you take a look at our first XI today only 3 players are here not to Arteta's doing. 

Leno he chose over Martinez. Mari, Partey and Odegaard he signed, gave new contracts to Holding, Saka and Aubameyang and promoted Smith-Rowe. Not to mention he signed Gabriel, Willian, Runnarsson and Ryan. Convinced Xhaka to stay at the club, brought Elneny back into the team. Sent Guendouzi, Saliba and Torreira packing. I'm not disputing all of these decisions, but to absolve Arteta because of the squad he inherited doesn't cut it for me. Could he have been backed more absolutely, but he has done nothing to suggest he deserves that. 

• Subscriber

Say what you want about Emery but this guy knows how to get to a Europa League final. If they win it then its his fourth title in 10 yrs? That's pretty impressive.

I actually think Arsenal has quite a decent squad.

IMO They have more talent than in squad than Everton, Tottenham and West Ham, who are all ahead of them at the Premier League table. 

They´re loaded with young players of potential, such as the likes of Saka, Smith-Rowe, Martinelli, Balogun and Saliba. As for the veterans, Partey was probably the best midfielder in La Liga last season, Auba is one of the best strikers in football, Tierney is a great full-back and so on.

It´s not a loaded squad certainly, but it´s a quite decent core to work with. 

What they´re lacking is a more positive leadership to guide this squad to a higher level. I´ve always felt like Arteta wants to take all the spotlight for himself and outshine his players.

20 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Blame the squad all you want, I don't particularly like many of them but if you take a look at our first XI today only 3 players are here not to Arteta's doing. 

Leno he chose over Martinez, Mari, Partey and Odegaard he signed, gave new contracts to Holding, Saka and Aubameyang and promoted Smith-Rowe. Not to mention he signed Gabriel, Willian, Runnarsson and Ryan. Convinced Xhaka to stay at the club, brought Elneny back into the team. Sent Guendouzi, Saliba and Torreira packing. I'm not disputing all of these decisions, but to absolve Arteta because of the squad he inherited doesn't cut it for me. Could he have been backed more absolutely, but he has done nothing to suggest he deserves that. 

Fair points acknowledged on some although I wouldn't agree on all but we're not all on here to agree either. For example, he made a mistake on Martinez agreed but then, I don't think you'd have been any better off with say Guendouzi. 

You have to be a bloody good manager if every decision you make is the right one, so it's natural there are players he has tried to bring in and it's not quite worked for you. This is his first job after all, it's going to be a learning curve for him which is why I assume your board went for him initially looking to the future, not a quick fix.

Don't get me wrong, I get the frustration because Arsenal are a big club underachieving but you are directing it at the wrong person for me when really, it is the board's fault for stagnating and not improving when they needed to towards the back end of Wenger's reign.

I break it down like this. 

Do Arsenal have a top 4 squad? Not a chance. A few good players surrounded by dosghit. 
Do Arsenal have a top 4 manager? Not a chance. He's sexy but mediocre. Should be cutting his teeth at Southampton or some shit. 
Do Arsenal have the infrastructure and finances to make a top 4 team? Yes
Will they tho? Not a chance. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Dani Parejo is the most underrated midfielder of our lifetime in my opinion. Shame he was competing with the golden generation during his prime. 

Him or Ever Banega. Similar players actually.

4 minutes ago, Dan said:

Him or Ever Banega. Similar players actually.

I’m sure sir balon once said why he was never selected for the NT. Can’t recall but it may have something to do with his lifestyle?

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Banega is a MASSIVE cunt. 

This can only further add to his legacy in my eyes.

2 hours ago, Batard said:

I saw Dani Parejo at Loftus Road for QPR and man alive, he was garbage as a kid in England. 

What the hell, really? Dunno if I've gotten him mixed up with someone but I'm sure it was him, on loan at QPR who was absolutely raved about. Could've been before he actually played xD

Said it earlier on in the season and haven't changed my position, if Arteta was getting the most out of this squad then you could say he's doing as much as he can but that's not the case.

What's even more mental, is that there were strong reports in France and Germany that had we beaten Arsenal at the Emirates earlier in the season, Arteta would've been sacked and they would've hired Tuchel. Mental if true, but there are now suggestions Arteta will continue on, so that makes that rumor completely bollocks. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived