talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Jose Mourinho to Replace Fonseca at Roma

Just hasn't really worked out for him. With no real progress having been made since he took over, and with the new owners coming into their first summer at the club, it was widely expected this was going to happen.

Failure in big games and a worrying defensive record, he managed to get them playing some attractive attacking football but were far too fragile to compete at the very top.

With only a spot in the new Europa Conference League next season, financially the club is going to under even more pressure. A very good coach is required, as there probably won't be too much changes to the playing squad.

Would love to see what Sarri could do at the club.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree with all that.  They've been punching well below their ability for some time now.  At first they couldn't beat anyone above them in the table, now they can't beat anyone period.  Sarri seems to be the favorite and rumors suggest that they've already got a deal lined up.  

44 minutes ago, Coma said:

Agree with all that.  They've been punching well below their ability for some time now.  At first they couldn't beat anyone above them in the table, now they can't beat anyone period.  Sarri seems to be the favorite and rumors suggest that they've already got a deal lined up.  

The last month has been a disaster. I understand that when the slim hopes of a Champions League spot faded, they let up a bit and seemed to concentrate on the Europa League a lot more. But to compound that with missing out on even the Europa League, it's indefensible.

The squad needs to get far more youthful and far cheaper in a hurry. The fact they will probably still have N'Zonzi and Pastore, earning vasts amounts, and not making any impact for the team shows how far back the bad dealings go. Monchi's summer of 2018, has to be considered as one of the worst transfer windows for any club and they are still saddled with the cost. Even the more recent signing of Pedro made no sense for them, even if it was a free transfer. 

At least I hopefully won't have to deal with the sight of Brunos Peres again next year... Hopefully!

7 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

He's been linked with us.

Can I dream?

I cannot see any major clubs going after him now, so a mid table club in a major league would probably be in with a good chance of hiring him.

Following Shakhtar and Roma though, seems he can do really well (and have his teams playing attractively) against lesser talented teams. How this would translate to a mid table team, with similar resources to those around them, it might not be pretty.

Roma's defensive record is poor, but it doesn't even show how bad it could be. They play so openly and so stretched, when it goes slightly wrong there is almost always a good chance via a counter attack for the opposition. The game last week against Man United really showed it at its worse. They scored six, but were lucky it wasn't more. 

Can think it would be Bielsa-lite. Might look incredible one game, but then concede 4 in a half.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

A very good coach is required, as there probably won't be too much changes to the playing squad.

Do you think Mourinho satisfies that criteria... 

I guess one benefit of him going to Roma is that Italians still have an appreciation for defending...since Guardiola changed the landscape of English football he’s had no chance here

He's best suited in Italian football considering his current methodology.  Roma do require an overhaul considering the age of some players but then again a 40 year old can shine in Serie A at the moment. 

A big get for a club like Roma. A man like Mourinho being the most important person at a club might work as there's less competition for the spotlight. Maybe he'll just concentrate more... 

• Subscriber

Mafioso Mou. I think he'll do well at Roma personally. I doubt he would have taken the job if he didn't get what he needed from the club and that will require a revamp to get them back into European competition. 

Given Atalanta, Inter Milan & Juve are almost guaranteed the CL places, there is essentially only 1 spot left and AC Milan/Napoli are miles ahead of Roma, then there is Lazio. It’s a really odd one for Mourinho, success here would genuinely be astounding given what’s in front of them.

He's a dinosaur appointment and the only reason it happened is so the new owners get some publicity out of it.  He'll be all the talk in Serie A now while Roma continue to fail on the pitch.  They're already in a huge amount of debt so I'm not sure where any new signings will come from.  They have a great core of young players but Mourinho won't want to play with the existing squad.  The only saleable asset right now is Pellegrini and he's the only Roman left on the team.

Edited to say Zaniolo will be back and he could command a big offer but they need to be building around him.

14 hours ago, Storts said:

Awful appointment but thank you Roma. Saved us a lot of money 

Seemingly getting €7.5m / year from Roma, with Tottenham paying the rest so he won't earn less than the €16m / year he was on.

There's some tax breaks he'll get as someone who hasn't lived in Italy recently. So probably safe to say that it'll save them over €10m.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, ScoRoss said:

Seemingly getting €7.5m / year from Roma, with Tottenham paying the rest so he won't earn less than the €16m / year he was on.

There's some tax breaks he'll get as someone who hasn't lived in Italy recently. So probably safe to say that it'll save them over €10m.

Nope this is false, seen those reports as well but they’re just not true. Spurs pretty much off the hook with this one. As with any manager we sack they go on gardening leave so we pay them until they find a new job etc. I’m sure Roma will just give him a signing on fee to make up the difference but Spurs only paying about £3 million more to him, so worked out really nicely 

20 minutes ago, Storts said:

Nope this is false, seen those reports as well but they’re just not true. Spurs pretty much off the hook with this one. As with any manager we sack they go on gardening leave so we pay them until they find a new job etc. I’m sure Roma will just give him a signing on fee to make up the difference but Spurs only paying about £3 million more to him, so worked out really nicely 

Post tax at Tottenham, Mourinho would be paid approx £7.5m.

Post tax at Roma, Mourinho would be paid approx £5m.

If not as simple as €16 - €7.5 as it seems to have been reported, but it wouldn't take much to make the difference.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived