talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Euro 2020 Preview - England

football forum

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 

England enter Euro 2020 with the most participations of any country without ever winning the title. Yet they're still the bookies favourite to win the tournament.

92928367_Screenshot_20210502-161150_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.b338e2b6b06898054bab71ce3b0f45be.jpg
Road to Euro 2020
England were largely impressive in qualifying. They won seven of their eight matches and only conceded six goals in the entire qualifying campaign. Raheem Sterling and Harry Kane were largely impressive as England scored a total of 37 goals. This means the Three Lions averaged just under 4.5 goals per game en route to this Euros.

gettyimages-978014764.thumb.jpg.8a6e6ca138b85e1e7cf972c801348a3b.jpg
What to Expect
Gareth Southgate’s has his young England side focused on dominating possession in matches that they're expected to win. They recorded over 600 passes in all seven of their victories and the lowest possession percentage they recorded was 56%.

It's unclear how they will adapt in matches where they face a more even or slightly better opponent. Even in the defeat to Czech Republic they still recorded 100 more passes than their opponent.

970471718_Screenshot_20210508-093340_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.31b712c81248e7661dc04940bccf19f3.jpg
Possible Lineup
England played 4-3-3 in all seven of their qualifying victories and this is the formation we suspect him to play in the group stages. Gareth Southgate experimented with three central defenders in the Nations League fixtures but he reverted back to 4-3-3 for the World Cup qualifiers which resulted in three victories. It may be a case of Gareth Southgate playing 4-3-3 against Scotland and Czech Republic before trying something different against Croatia.

Gareth Southgate remains loyal to Jordan Pickford when he's fit and we expect that to remain the case. In defence, Kyle Walker appears to be the first choice right back. If England change formation however we expect Kyle Walker to play in central defence whilst Kieron Trippier plays a right wing back. In the centre of defence it appears Harry Maguire and John Stones are likely to remain as first choice pairing for another tournament. At left back however we have given Luke Shaw the nod ahead of Ben Chilwell based on his recent club form.

The midfield was somewhat of a revolving door during qualification with eight different central midfielders making appearances. Gareth Southgate appears to be a big believer in the Declan Rice / Mason Mount partnership and most recently it appears Kalvin Phillips has done enough to prove to the England manager that he can be entrusted with playing the role of the third midfielder.

Further up the field however is most likely to create the most interesting points of discussion as England now have an abundance of attacking wide players who have all stated a case for why they should be starting. Based on previous team selections we believe Gareth Southgate is most likely to favour Phil Foden and Raheem Sterling to start either side of Harry Kane. However given the talent at his disposal that is likely to change as the tournament progresses if Foden and Sterling fail to live up to expectations.

NINTCHDBPICT000644786878.thumb.jpg.34176035c5cd7146426ead5740615fb9.jpg
Key Player
The Golden Boot Winner at the last World Cup is entering this tournament fresh off his best goal scoring campaign at domestic football level and his starting place is assured in a team that rely heavily on his goal involvement. If England are to have a successful campaign, it's fairly certain that Harry Kane will be at the centre of it.

skysports-mason-mount-england_5321986.thumb.jpg.832022e151205275587393b82c4b2d11.jpg
Prediction
It may be worth reserving judgement over whether it's worth getting excited until after the Croatia fixture. If England produce a good showing, that result could be the catalyst for a very good tournament for the Three Lions.

• The topic was pinned
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, McAzeem said:

They are giving me our CT 2017 vibes.

I genuinely think they're just not all that.

Stones and Mcguire in front of Pickford.

Henderson, Mount and -someone- in midfield.

A Spurs striker leading the line. 

Sterling will probably start for no reason. 

What parts of that fill people with "favorites" vibes? Last world cup they beat Tunisia(barely), Panama and Sweden(their best result) Drew with Columbia and lost to Croatia and Belgium twice.  

• Administrator
39 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I'd put England in the bracket below France, Belgium, Portugal and maybe Italy. Definitely not the best but could argue a case for them being on par or slightly better than the rest.

Belgium/France
Portugal
England

Not sure Italy are as good as they could be right now. Mancini's first proper tournament? Or did he manage for the World Cup in 2018? 

Feels like there's a lot of potential in the side but not sure they'll be as successful as the other 4 sides listed above.

-------------------Pickford-----------------------

Trippier-----Maguire-------Stones---------Chilwell

---------------Henderson--Mount------------------

------------------Grielish-----------------------------

Sancho-------------Kane----------------Foden--------

I was having this debate last night with my mate. England are the bookies favourites or second favourites. But arent the odds different countries?  In germany for example England might not be the favourites? 

2 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I was having this debate last night with my mate. England are the bookies favourites or second favourites. But arent the odds different countries?  In germany for example England might not be the favourites? 

England and France are favorites here in Australia. 

$6 England, France.
$7. Belgium
$8. Spain, Germany
$9. Italy
$9.50. Portugal

Germany are also favorites to top their group. Mental. 

I didn't realise if we win the group we play at Wembley. I think we have a very decent chance of beating Portugal or Germany at wembley 

• The topic was unpinned
  • 4 weeks later...
On 28/05/2021 at 18:38, Machado said:

Feel like England's time has come. Favourites by far for me. Unless Benzema pulls something special, France will bottle it against them, and I don't see anyone else beating them.

Close enough?

Archived