talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leeds 3-1 Tottenham - Saturday 8th May, 2021

• Administrator

Kick-off 12.30

Live on BT Sport

1200px-Leeds_United_F.C._logo.svg.png       VS     e6df9075f2a3dca8eda72d87d90cf4f6.jpg

Recent Form
Leeds - LDDWW
Tottenham -WLWDL

Last 3 Meetings
02/01/2021 - Tottenham 3-0 Leeds
27/01/2013 - Leeds 2-1 Tottenham (FA Cup)
03/02/2010 - Leeds 1-3 Tottenham (FA Cup) 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leeds are deserving of their first half lead, although Kane was unlucky with his goal being ruled out after he was caught a fraction offside. It has been a very open game, I expect more goals in the second half.

I thought we thoroughly deserved that scoreline. Superior than Spurs in every facet of the game today. What impressed me most is how we did that without Phillips and Raphinha, bar the last half hour when he came on.

Two players who really excelled today surprisingly were Alioski (I thought Bale would murder him) and Koch playing in midfield. Very tidy and snuffed Spurs out first half especially.

I don't think it helped that Mason set them up to play with Bale, Alli, Son amd Kane. It was fine against Sheffield United but with our energy levels and intensity, that was very risky and it backfired.

Couple key saves from Meslier at certain points but in the main, defensively we were solid. Chalk and cheese from the first half of the season.

Lloris actually made some great saves to stop it being worse, if Harrison could keep the ball down he may have bagged a couple too. I'm glad we got the third because winning by one wouldn't have been a fair reflection on the play.

The Kane call was very tight. The obe bit of luck we needed today and it was a big call. I don't like to see goals ruled out for that personally as we've had plenty and it kills the game but it is what it is these days sadly.

Overall, Spurs can have no complaints and as Bielsa said, that was probably up there with one of our best performances given the opposition.

That now means none of the 'Big 6' have managed to win at Elland Road. And when you consider Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea, Man Utd all stuffed us away from home in the first half of the season, we've made great strides in defensively getting better.

Leeds deserved to win. The co-comm said it best. Leeds play as an excellent team, we play as a collection of individuals, looking for moments of individual brilliance. If just one of our front four is off (today being Bale), we are fairly easy to nullify as we have nothing behind them. We need, even if we keep Bale and Kane (which I think we will), around four quality players to drop straight into the first team.

NDombele literally coming on off the bench puffing and blowing like he's run a marathon is not good. Not good at all.

Dier is absolutely useless on the pitch. His interview recently where he got salty about people picking up on his mistakes just makes him look foolish. You see better defending in under 12's for the second goal today. He has no awareness whatsoever of what is going on around him. He stands there, waiting for the ball to arrive to him, with no perception of anyone else near him and looks vaguely surprised when he sees that the other team does indeed have strikers. Centre back is our biggest priority next season and a proper creative midfielder to replace Eriksen.

I get so annoyed because we were linked with Ruben Dias in the summer, he thought he was coming to us and was happy to. Levy decided to dick about with the fee and City came in. Two summers ago, we could have had Bruno Fernandes who was reportedly happy so sign for us - Levy decided to dick about with the fee and United got him in January. We could have signed Jack Grealish when nobody else was him for 30 million. Levy decided to...well, you get the picture. We have a regressing Lo Celso, a barely fit NDombele and Eric Dier as centre back and that man has the utter arrogance, the sheer bare-faced cheek to sign us up for this European Super League as though we haven't completed regressed under his watch after he lucked in to having a squad competing for titles. He wants to take note of Leeds today, that's how you play as a team.

Graham Potter? We need Harry Potter for this one. 

1 hour ago, Tar-Mairon said:

Leeds deserved to win. The co-comm said it best. Leeds play as an excellent team, we play as a collection of individuals, looking for moments of individual brilliance. If just one of our front four is off (today being Bale), we are fairly easy to nullify as we have nothing behind them. We need, even if we keep Bale and Kane (which I think we will), around four quality players to drop straight into the first team.

NDombele literally coming on off the bench puffing and blowing like he's run a marathon is not good. Not good at all.

Dier is absolutely useless on the pitch. His interview recently where he got salty about people picking up on his mistakes just makes him look foolish. You see better defending in under 12's for the second goal today. He has no awareness whatsoever of what is going on around him. He stands there, waiting for the ball to arrive to him, with no perception of anyone else near him and looks vaguely surprised when he sees that the other team does indeed have strikers. Centre back is our biggest priority next season and a proper creative midfielder to replace Eriksen.

I get so annoyed because we were linked with Ruben Dias in the summer, he thought he was coming to us and was happy to. Levy decided to dick about with the fee and City came in. Two summers ago, we could have had Bruno Fernandes who was reportedly happy so sign for us - Levy decided to dick about with the fee and United got him in January. We could have signed Jack Grealish when nobody else was him for 30 million. Levy decided to...well, you get the picture. We have a regressing Lo Celso, a barely fit NDombele and Eric Dier as centre back and that man has the utter arrogance, the sheer bare-faced cheek to sign us up for this European Super League as though we haven't completed regressed under his watch after he lucked in to having a squad competing for titles. He wants to take note of Leeds today, that's how you play as a team.

Graham Potter? We need Harry Potter for this one. 

Excellent post. Not because of the praise you gave us but your critique of Spurs.

Dier is absolutely finished with you. I think he's pretty much only playing through default at the moment because no one else is better. You've never quite replaced Vertonghen, even in his last season on the decline. So centre back is an absolute must.

Personally, I think you are screaming for a quality Right Back too. The ease in which we got past Aurier today on our left side was unreal. Being honest, I feel he is a massive liability for you, it's just Doherty has been a major disappointment so options are slim.

I'm not 100% convinced by Hoijberg either, although he did start the season very well. He looks a bit burnt out and in need of a break. Maybe he is lacking the support in midfield to really dominate.

Lo Celso is just a passenger for you. I'm really disappointed how he turned out because he looked like offering you a real great spark.

Big Summer for you now with the manager appointment, Kane and trying to improve the First Team. Probably the biggest you've faced for a long time.

Kinda makes you wonder what Bielsa could do to a team of yours. Sadly you'll need to look elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

Excellent post. Not because of the praise you gave us but your critique of Spurs.

Dier is absolutely finished with you. I think he's pretty much only playing through default at the moment because no one else is better. You've never quite replaced Vertonghen, even in his last season on the decline. So centre back is an absolute must.

Personally, I think you are screaming for a quality Right Back too. The ease in which we got past Aurier today on our left side was unreal. Being honest, I feel he is a massive liability for you, it's just Doherty has been a major disappointment so options are slim.

I'm not 100% convinced by Hoijberg either, although he did start the season very well. He looks a bit burnt out and in need of a break. Maybe he is lacking the support in midfield to really dominate.

Lo Celso is just a passenger for you. I'm really disappointed how he turned out because he looked like offering you a real great spark.

Big Summer for you now with the manager appointment, Kane and trying to improve the First Team. Probably the biggest you've faced for a long time.

Kinda makes you wonder what Bielsa could do to a team of yours. Sadly you'll need to look elsewhere.

Cheers! 

Yes, Vertonghen leaving exposed gaps. I love Toby and he still has a part to play but he's in the winter of his career. Rodon is a brilliant prospect but still very young and inexperienced and learning the game. Sanchez is a squad player at best, far too erratic. We have full backs that can play there but they are square pegs in round holes. If we do not sign a centre back, we will achieve nothing.

Right back - I'd like to see us persist with Doherty for another season. An obvious good player is in there (as shown with Wolves) but he's struggled for various reasons this season. Aurier, again, should be a squad player and struggles against strong teams. He can show good signs going forward but his decision making in defense is appalling, he panics far too often and Reguilon isn't doing much better on the other side right now.

Hojbjerg is a good player but he was completely carrying the midfield for the first half of the season. As soon as his form dropped, there was no-one to replace him or help him and Lo Celso has not been the same since he returned from injury. He looks slow and ponderous whenever he is on the ball.

I think Kane will probably stay (no-one's going to spend what Levy wants for him, he's 28 in July and slightly injury prone) but yeah, the new manager and what he gets in the transfer market is vital. I would still keep Bale (he was poor today but class is permanent) for another season but we need at least four in. 

I would definitely take Bielsa but can't see him leaving Leeds so think you'll be fine!

• The topic was unpinned

Archived