talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Championship 2020/21 - Play-offs

Championship Play-offs  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Win The Championship Play-offs?

• Brentford
    • Bournemouth
    • Swansea
    • Barnsley

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/21 at 17:00

• Administrator

EFL_Championship.png

1st Legs
Monday 17th May, 2021
Bournemouth vs Brentford, 18.00
Barnsley vs Swansea, 20.15

2nd Legs
Saturday 22nd May, 2021
Brentford vs Bournemouth, 12.30
Swansea vs Barnsley, 17.30

FINAL
Saturday 29th May, 2021
TBC vs TBC, 15.00

Previous play-off winners (finishing positions)

• Fulham (4th)
  • Aston Villa (5th)
  • Fulham (3rd)
  • Huddersfield (5th)
  • Hull (4th

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite mad to think how many of those previous playoffs that Sheffield Wednesday and Derby County qualified for and look at them now.

Thankfully I don't see Brentford or Barnsley capitulating in such a mad fashion if they fail year upon year to gain promotion but the EFL really needs to use this period as a reset button. For example, serious questions should have been asked at how Cardiff City believed it was financially feasible to loan Harry Wilson during the current climate with no sell on value.

Two weeks ago, I would have said Bournemouth. They were winning games and were doing that 'team that goes on a late run' thing together. I think stuttering the last two league games has really halted the momentum they had built.

Brentford should be the favourites but psychologically getting over the winning line is a problem for them. But they at least come into the playoffs with more confidence than last season.

Swansea badly faded the last 7-8 weeks and should just be thankful they ended up with Barnsley. It gives them a fighting chance of making the final but I'd be surprised if they won it.

Barnsley are the underdogs. You do wonder if they will run out of steam. But that said, the pressure is off them, they have nothing to lose. I can see them shocking Swansea.

I'm going with a Brentford v Barnsley final. And ultimately a Brentford win.

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

Two weeks ago, I would have said Bournemouth. They were winning games and were doing that 'team that goes on a late run' thing together. I think stuttering the last two league games has really halted the momentum they had built.

Brentford should be the favourites but psychologically getting over the winning line is a problem for them. But they at least come into the playoffs with more confidence than last season.

Swansea badly faded the last 7-8 weeks and should just be thankful they ended up with Barnsley. It gives them a fighting chance of making the final but I'd be surprised if they won it.

Barnsley are the underdogs. You do wonder if they will run out of steam. But that said, the pressure is off them, they have nothing to lose. I can see the them shocking Swansea.

Pretty much agree with all that assessment a part from the final paragraph for reasons as @Dannyalluded too yesterday. I'd make Brentford slight favorites but I wouldn't be putting money on it.

5 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Pretty much agree with all that assessment a part from the final paragraph for reasons as @Dannyalluded too yesterday. I'd make Brentford slight favorites but I wouldn't be putting money on it.

I agree, there is never an overwhelming favourite in the Playoff final, I cannot remember the last time one was ever hugely one sided, if ever. Barnsley would be a tough nut to crack.

But I'd fancy Brentford to do it using the experience of last year and losing to Fulham. I do think those little things count for something on the big occasion's. 

But imagine the story if Barnsley did it. Wow. Oakwell would be the new don't fancy going there on a pissing, windy evening.

• Administrator
54 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Barnsley are the underdogs. You do wonder if they will run out of steam. But that said, the pressure is off them, they have nothing to lose. I can see them shocking Swansea.

51 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Fair assessments.

I can see Barnsley winning one of the legs against Swansea but for some reason think Swansea will probably do enough to see themselves in the final.

Brentford vs Bournemouth is probably the hardest one to call. Bournemouth clearly have enough in them to recover from their slump around Feb/March time and then win about 6 in a row?

Brentford beat Bournemouth last month but it was quite a tight game if I remember correctly? It's still too hard to call now. Their record against the other teams in top 6 is fairly strong I'd say - Won 4, drawn 4, lost 2.

I think this is their time. Twice in the play-offs in the past 5 or 6 seasons and arguably one of the best football-playing sides in the league. Almost as if they 'deserve' to go up. They don't want to become a team that has a 'curse' that they can make the play-offs but never finish the job off. It seemed to happen during the season - fight for the automatics but just not have quite enough in the tank to see them finish top 2 because they can't get those tight wins that Norwich, for example, would succeed in. 

I appreciate the confidence lads @Lucas @Stan @The Palace Fan

We have a better chance at the play-offs this season, we’ve finished 3rd through winning our final 4 games and going on something like a 7 game unbeaten streak. Last season we fell apart late on. I think on paper we are the best side in the play-offs, and fortunately both Bournemouth and Swansea have had an up and down end to the season.

Swansea vs Barnsley will be interesting, Swansea have no interest in doing anything other than frustrating teams. Barnsley will look to press and smother you like a tsunami of shit, either going to be an entertaining two legs or boring boring shit.

We are in good form atm, and Forss, Canos, Mbeumo and Fosu all seem good for a goal alongside Toney so hopefully that’ll help us. But we have struggled with in game management when being overwhelmed, Frank ain’t really the man for those moments. So let’s see, but we’re in another play off final and whilst we might have a terrible record in the play offs, these are the games the last decade or so have led towards.

Massive game tonight, they’ll feel good about having their fans at the ground. You would say anything but a loss is a good result tonight.

That same sick feeling as last years play-offs, disgusting.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Danny said:

Should have had a penalty, great omen to start a play-off with 

Agreed. Ref's missed a blatant foul there.

Pretty sure Toney’s injury was someone stamping on his ankle but I’ll wait until I see the replay before moaning about that.

Bournemouth on top as expected, we need to do more moving forward because our defence is on top form and attack is just average. Forss needs a kick up the arse, shame Roeslev got that yellow cos it was a silly challenge in what has been a solid game for him

Just now, Stan said:

Very physical and feisty game. Not many clear-cut chances.

This is giving me hope, Bournemouth have had chances but our defence has kept them out. Wouldn’t say we’re lucky to still have a clean sheet, down to hard work and good defending 

3 minutes ago, Lucas said:

David Brooks is such a lovely little player. His pass was sublime for the goal.

Been really impressed with him today. Running the show here.

He is annoyingly good, difficult to deal with when he’s at his best 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Danny said:

Much improved since the subs, Emiliano specifically ramping up our attacks with his direct passing in the final 3rd

Been pretty wasteful in the final 3rd though. It's like you panic when you get closer to their goal.

Just now, Stan said:

Been pretty wasteful in the final 3rd though. It's like you panic when you get closer to their goal.

Wasteful? Don’t think we’ve missed anything we should have scored 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived